Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All pain, no gain!

(20 Posts)
phoenix Mon 17-Jun-19 21:47:52

Well, went to the salon in Friday, pedicure (quite pleasant) usual waxing, brow wax (ok) lip wax (ouch ouch!) chin wax (ouch)

So, here I am on Monday, and I can already feel bristles/whiskers coming through on my chin blush a couple of them are practically long enough to tweezer! shock

So, what's the answer?

MiniMoon Mon 17-Jun-19 23:11:15

I don't think there is an answer?. I'm fighting the whiskers on a daily basis. Tweezers really nip, so I've invested in a little battery operated shaver for the chin and lip. I try not to use it too much though.

Coolgran65 Tue 18-Jun-19 04:23:29

Two weeks since I had lip and chin waxed and no bristles yet.

Nannytopsy Tue 18-Jun-19 05:39:26

Threading

TwiceAsNice Tue 18-Jun-19 06:08:04

I have the odd hair come through on my chin very short I tweezer them out . Lucky so far. My daughter swears by threading for her eyebrows

GabriellaG54 Tue 18-Jun-19 07:19:17

phoenix

Pros
EBay
Wax strips
Cheap as chips
Put between your palms (each strip is two stuck together) and rub to soften wax.
Peel apart and use each strip separately.
Works fine.
Cons
None.

Cleanse face afterwards with toner then moisturise.
Good to go after 20 mins. No redness.
This is my take on them.
Might not suit people with overly sensitive skin.

phoenix Tue 18-Jun-19 22:07:52

Thanks for the responses.

Threading? Well, no practitioners locally, and surely threading & waxing sort of work the same way, i.e. ripping the hairs out from the roots!

I'm just more miffed by the speed with which some of the pesky bloggers have resurfaced! sad

phoenix Tue 18-Jun-19 22:09:48

Damn! Sure I typed "blighters" don't know where " bloggers" came from confused ,

Deedaa Tue 18-Jun-19 22:29:12

Be careful with threaders phoenix the only time I had my eyebrows threaded the Indian girl doing it breathed garlic all over me. She was only inches from my face and it seemed to take for ever!

phoenix Wed 19-Jun-19 08:10:59

Hopefully once I have had the cataract done I will be able to see well enough to keep my eyebrows tidy!

It's the chin whiskers that are the main problem, just can't believe how quickly they reappear!

DanniRae Wed 19-Jun-19 08:20:39

I check face whiskers, mostly, every day to tweezer out. If you are brave enough use a magnifying mirror x 10. It finds the little blighters but is a bit of a shock to see your face magnified so much. I also use a hair removal cream from time to time - I find the Boots one is the best.
It doesn't help that, apparently, the whiskers can grow below the skin and then pop out fully grown! (Not sure if this is true??......does anyone know if this is true?)

Glammy57 Thu 20-Jun-19 16:27:10

No whiskers, yet.....

grandma60 Thu 20-Jun-19 16:33:24

Unfortunately DanniRae. Yes it is. I am living proof.

Jessity Thu 20-Jun-19 17:49:33

I have brows and top lip waxed every six weeks when I have my hair cut, it’s the same salon. It’s a bit ouch, yes, but it’s quick and I’m convinced they are getting more sparse.

Threading? Never again, not if you paid me squillions. Last time I had it done, when we lived in an area where I couldn’t find a salon that did eyebrow waxing, I came out with mascara running down my cheeks from the tears. Waxing is a quick ouch, threading goes on for what seems like for ever of ouch, ouch, ouch!

midgey Thu 20-Jun-19 18:07:51

It’s better when your eyesight gets worse......you can’t see the blighters! grin

BBbevan Thu 20-Jun-19 18:23:35

No but others can . My worst ightmare

BBbevan Thu 20-Jun-19 18:23:54

Nightmare

grandtanteJE65 Fri 21-Jun-19 12:00:42

That's me off to grab a pair of tweezers and a hand mirror.

It's a pest, isn't it?

I recently tried cold waxing my upper lip. The hairs just laughed I can tell you. Sheer waste of money.

phoenix Fri 21-Jun-19 14:54:15

Right! I have just ordered the product recommended by GabriellaG54* from the long river company. {wink]

Due to arrive next Wednesday. I will try to desist from tweaking with my tweezers, in order to give the product a fair trial. (They were very inexpensive, 2 packs for less that £3)

Will let you know how I get on!

GabriellaG54 Fri 21-Jun-19 19:36:21

phoenix
They do work. My skin feels almost like a babies afterwards. When you open the pack and take out one (double) 'strip' and rub between palms to soften wax, then split and press one piece where needed like putting on a plaster and rub with fingers to make sure wax does the job. Rip off and re-use on another part until you think it's lost it's adhesion.
I bought the double pack in 2016 and have only used half of one pack.
I hope it works as well for you as it does/did for me.