Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Disposable Fashion

(16 Posts)
crystaltipps Wed 26-Jun-19 06:23:03

The textile/ fashion industry is a major contributor to greenhouse gases, water and air pollution, creates problematic levels of waste, and often comes with poor working conditions in other countries. So we are being urged to be much more ethical in our attitude to clothes buying. We should buy less, reuse and recycle, choose natural materials, as synthetics are less biodegradable and much more damaging to,the environment. So even if your old item of clothing is unwearable, please bag it up and mark as “ rags” and put in one of those textile bins. The charity gets some money for rags which are recycled not shoved into landfill. We buy too many clothes - 4 x more than we did 20 years ago, many of them never or hardly worn. This adds to the destruction of the planet, as much of it ends up in the ocean or the ground. It takes 10,000 litres of water to make one pair of jeans. I know this is a hard sell to many including myself as I have worked in the fashion industry, and especially to the instagram generation who will only wear an outfit once. Some environmental charities are urging people not to buy new clothes for a year -buy second hand or make them yourself, also never throw clothes “in the bin”- Could you rise to this challenge.?

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:14:02

Well I can, but from what I read on the GN threads many people haven’t quite got the message yet.

Riverwalk Wed 26-Jun-19 09:42:57

It's not so simple though to be more ethical by buying natural fabrics - jeans are something like 95% cotton/5% elastane.

So if it takes 10,000 litres of water to make one pair of jeans, presumably it takes the same to make one cotton dress?

Just as eating tofu instead of meat is not without its ethical problems:

Without proper safeguards, the soybean industry is causing widespread deforestation and displacement of small farmers and indigenous peoples around the globe.

WWF

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:16:42

It is very confusing riverwalk but what is a quite simple concept is that we must buy, use less of everything.
Remember that everything we buy has a consequence.
A big bag of expensive clothes is just as damaging as a big bag of cheap ones.

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:33:31

If we stop buying cheap clothing and Primark goes out of business, what will their third world employees do for employment?

It's all too difficult.

crystaltipps Wed 26-Jun-19 10:37:08

A lot of soybeans grown in deforested areas are used to feed animals. Tofu way less damaging to the environment than meat. But that’s not the issue. You could argue we’ve all got to eat something, but we don’t have to buy new clothes every week. The textile industry is one of the most polluting on the planet.

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:38:23

Probably one of the biggest employers in the third world too.

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:39:47

I do agree with you though. It's just too darn hard.

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:43:14

Gonegirl, perhaps we should have to pay a levy for every article we buy. This could go to those exploited people who are barely able to live on what they earn.
Have you seen how they live? The conditions that they live in? The fact that their water is contaminated, if they’ve got much left.
It is unfortunate that the more expensive producers treat their workers in an abominable way too.
Buy less, pay more and make the manufacturers and retailers pass more of their profits down the line.
It’s possible but our mindset needs to change.
We don’t need to close anything down we need to re-evaluate.

M0nica Thu 27-Jun-19 10:37:00

I think our current system of exporting the manufacturing of clothes to poorer countries is damaging to their economies. It places their economies as servants to the whims of foreign consumers and distorts their economies and inhibits development.

Without this over dependence on cheap exports they should be helped through foreign aid to rebalance their economies to be able to produce a wider diversity of goods for a local market. Where they produce and export raw materials, mineral or agricultural, for example, much more should be processed in country and exported as finished goods

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 12:04:40

M0nica
With all due respect. If the rest of the world encourages the Asian and other markets to rebalance tgeir economies to produce a wider range of goods for their home countries, where is the money coming from for people to make those purchases?
Bangladesh for instance. Their wages are far below ours as is their cost of living therefore the population will only be able to afford to pay less so the manufacturers will get less ergo their workers.

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 12:05:30

tgeir their

etheltbags1 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:04:00

I am appalled at the concept of throw away clothes that are worn once. Where do you get them because I don't want to buy them. Are they marked wear once. Someone mentioned primark but I have had clothes from them in the past but they lasted a while. Asda clothes are comparatively cheap but I still have a jacket now 15 years old which I still wear and cost 8 quid. I'm not trying to hijac this thread as i intended to start one of my own. Btw I just bought 2 asda tops 6 quid each and will be wearing them till they get tatty.

M0nica Mon 01-Jul-19 15:58:44

Gabriella. Rebalancing economies means changes in industries, not clothes manufcturers in Bangladesh selling to Bangladeshis. It mean encouraging small businesses to proivde goods and services that local people want. Clothes manufacturers may well go out of business, but if you read about projects set up by many small charities, teaching small holders how to grow better crops, get them to market, perhaps process them into the food products customers want. If a few more hours work will double the harvest of your smallholding, you may well buy something like wheat ready ground into flour, rather than grind your own. Many families have grown out of poverty that way. Children get educated and can train for more skilled jobs,

That is how all economies and countries have grown since the beginning of time.

Pantglas1 Mon 01-Jul-19 16:23:18

I agree etheltbags1 - I do buy cheap on occasion but always wear them to bits and then use as dusters/floor cloths etc.

Have never purchased a ‘proper’ dish cloth or duster and always cut down old towels/sheets/pillowcase for car cleaning/decorating etc

If something doesn’t suit me or fit anymore and has plenty of wear then it goes to charity shop along with handbags and shoes so someone else gets some use out of it.

I’m of an age not to be bothered about wearing the same outfit to lots of different events - I figure there’s younger, prettier folks attending and no one is looking at me anyway!

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jul-19 17:57:37

I just don't need any new clothes and I certainly don't care about being up to date with the latest trends. The very fact that I have stuff from 30 years ago proves that they've stood the test of time ( quality ) and don't look out of place when worn today and also tells me that fashion is nothing but a mugs game. I only buy knickers.

I can dress up for any occasion without leaving my front door going scatty looking for something I'd only probably wear once. I'd rather splash out on a good fillet steak !