Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

M and S axe it’s Classic Range !

(115 Posts)
NanKate Sun 10-Nov-19 15:53:48

I was disappointed to read today that M and S we’re stopping their Classic range of clothes aimed at women 55 or over. I often by jackets and tops from that range and jazz them up with scarves and jewellery.

M and S say they want to appeal to a broader range of shoppers ! Oh yes by reducing the number of ranges such as Limited, Portfolio and Indigo. ???

I wonder if they ever ask older S shoppers what they want. From my experience younger shoppers wouldn’t be seen dead in M and S, other than in the Food Hall.

Coolgran65 Sun 10-Nov-19 16:01:21

I must admit that I think I've only ever bought once from the Classic Range. However I do miss the Indigo range which did super longish cotton sweaters. I also miss the quality of Portfolio though it would usually have been a sale purchase.

There was an interview on tv the other night with the Executive Buyer for M & S who was very enthusiastic about turning the fashion range around within 3 years.

I agree that any younger folk that I know wouldn't be making M & S clothing their first stop.

TerriBull Sun 10-Nov-19 16:13:54

I bought the Classic range for my late mum sad she was always quite happy with their stuff, but she was early to mid 80s at the time.

Marks doesn't appeal to a younger demographic it's too middle of the road, yet in spite of that, their stance on mixed changing rooms is amazing (not in a good way though) A potentially uncomfortable and unacceptable experience for women having bra fittings and discussing matters pertaining to that with the fitter, if a man is in the next door cublicle...........and yet their profits are down 17% and they still feel they can piss of their core customer shock

Roses Sun 10-Nov-19 16:15:40

I asked an assistant where the classic range had been moved to when I was looking for a present for my aunt last week,I could not believe they have discontinued it, surely they know the people who want the classic range are the people who have loyally built their business over the years. Looking around the store I wondered who are the designers and who chooses the fabrics both of which leave a lot to be desired. I can't remember the last time that I saw something in store that I just had to have. They need to start asking customers what they would like to see and stop aiming at an age group that would never wear anything but their knickers

grapefruitpip Sun 10-Nov-19 16:16:41

Oh dear Marks. What has become of you?

Well fitting, well made staples at a fair price. Long gone.

SueDonim Sun 10-Nov-19 16:17:01

They'll probably still do similar clothing but it won't be called that. It'll be given a trendier name.

I know a few youngsters who like the Classic range because they do little tops and cardigans that suit the 'preppy' look the young ones aiming for. They cut out the labels, though! grin

Nonnie Sun 10-Nov-19 16:26:31

I imagine its because it wasn't selling. Perhaps the older generation these days wear the same as everyone else and no longer buy classics unless they are good ones which will last and not from M & S.

They do send me questionnaires about my opinion but not sure they know my age.

I think we can look round the high street and see for ourselves which shops are not keeping up. I can think of a few which might have limited life.

Witzend Sun 10-Nov-19 16:35:17

Must admit that their classics range was usually a bit too 'classic' for me, and I'm 70.

I find much of the standard range stuff less than enticing - horrible cheap looking colours/colour combinations, esp. the current crop of jumpers.

But having said that, the other day I did see a nice plain cowl-neck jumper - long enough to wear with leggings - in soft Cashmilon, for only £15. I was dithering between a soft red and a dark slate blue - went for the slate blue but shall now go back for the red - if they still have my size....

ginny Sun 10-Nov-19 16:44:18

I agree that axing the classic range is probably because of lower sales. As someone up thread said those that would have bought it were older and many now want to wear younger maybe more casual , comfortable clothes. The only person I know who would buy that range is my 88 year old MIL. I still love their underwear, trousers of various types and have t-shirts and jumpers.

sodapop Sun 10-Nov-19 17:03:57

M&S lost the plot some time ago. They have tried to reinvent themselves so many times its ridiculous. I bought lots of clothing from their Indigo range and often got complimented on it, then off it went for no apparent reason.
The Classic range was always a bit frumpy so no idea how it survived as long as it did.
I used to buy quite a lot of things from their French site but that is so reduced now it's hardly worth bothering.

M0nica Sun 10-Nov-19 17:17:18

Well actually

My 12 year old grand daughter reckons that M&S is the best place to buy clothes.

Out with her over half term, she walked straight past Next and New Look and into M&S. Primark didn't get a mention.

She had £20 to spend and bought a really sassy pinafore dress. My only complaint was that she had to get a size that just fitted now as the store was almost completely devoid of the next size up in any style. Have you tried to get a 12 year old to wait a day or two and get it online?

I had heard the interview on R4, where the question of having all sizes in stock came up and the woman interviewed said they had overcome this problem and size range in store was much better. Well, not if DGD and my experience is typical. I had previously tried to buy a a specific pair of trousers a few weeks previously and had visited 2 M&S's to find no size 12, long length in either. In fact no size 12s at all across the range and no longer lengths in any size.

notanan2 Sun 10-Nov-19 17:18:28

M&S have shot themselves in the foot by turning their back on their traditional target market to appeal to who exactly? They cannot compete with the youth brands so why are they trying?

They are no good for the "boring" stuff any more: socks, tights etc have gone down hill. I want to be able to go there to AVOID the fashioney "on trend" stuff that would look silly on a middle aged woman like me!

Hiring trans bra fitting staff and trying to be all hip for who? My DDs and younger family members arent interested, their have their own brands!

Parsley3 Sun 10-Nov-19 17:49:08

M&S food and children’s clothes are still worth buying but as for dressing women it lost its way years ago. I no longer shop there for my clothes and I have switched allegiance to Laura Ashley.

Oopsminty Sun 10-Nov-19 17:50:43

M&S just can't get their clothing right

They should just stick to food and expand in that area.

notanan2 Sun 10-Nov-19 17:53:59

I disagree Parsley they are no longer the "go to" for good school uniform basics. And the last time I bought childrens clothes there the colours ran in the wash! Unheard of when my kids were little!

Harris27 Sun 10-Nov-19 18:00:22

I buy mostly in the sale now and long for them to ask us what we wear!

kittylester Sun 10-Nov-19 18:00:43

I dont think they are getting rid of the stuff so much as the name. I've seen stuff I like but haven't bought because it was labelled 'Classic' -:for goodness sake I'm only 70!!

FlexibleFriend Sun 10-Nov-19 18:13:35

I haven't set foot in M&S in a couple of decades and previously it was only for undies, so can't say I'd miss them if they disappeared.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 10-Nov-19 18:21:32

I would definitely miss M&S if they disappeared because I think that they are making an effort to be ethical with their clothing.

I think consumers are thinking more carefully about fast fashion, and it's damaging effect on the environment. The problem is that the business model for fast, cheap clothing is not sustainable.

I wish M&S would revert to better quality, but unfortunately they would not survive in the current climate.

notanan2 Sun 10-Nov-19 18:35:47

I "miss" M&S already and its still physically there, because it can no longer be relied on for quality

lemongrove Sun 10-Nov-19 20:04:28

I second that notanan2 and have given up on them.
Debenhams is my place of clothes browsing now, and have just bought a few nice things from Principles.

Lyndylou Sun 10-Nov-19 21:17:10

I liked the Portfolio range especially the Wave Bra and Knickers range which was extremely popular if the on line comments are any thing to go by but M&S discontinued the range. Then I liked Indigo for decent items to wear with jeans, now that has gone too.

But the last straw is for several years I have bought their Footglove shoes in a wide fitting and they have been perfect for my very difficult feet and this year there is nothing suitable in wide fitting at all. I have paid more money for Hotter shoes but they are not perfect at all. I need 2 pairs of socks to keep my feet from slipping in them. Very annoying when my main fear in life is tripping and falling.

Callistemon Sun 10-Nov-19 21:26:50

I went in a while ago to buy items from them Indigo range only to be told (rather snootily in fact!) that they hadn't stocked that range for two years.

I did buy some 'Classic' cropped trousers because they seemed better quality and fitted better.

Callistemon Sun 10-Nov-19 21:27:07

The not them

NanKate Sun 10-Nov-19 22:58:46

Well I seem to be one of the few who will miss the Classic range and I thought I dressed well for my age but clearly I need to up my game ?.

I have bought a number of items at Laura Ashley and really liked them so that will be my first part of call in future.

On another subject I bought from JL some fab one size knickers by Chantelle one in bright blue and another in bright red. So at least my undies are modern ?