Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Slippers

(59 Posts)
MawB Wed 13-Nov-19 11:02:18

Do you wear slippers in the house?
I do try as I appreciate the wear on carpets and, especially in the country, the muck that can be brought in and (ironically) always take my shoes off or have a pair of something else to wear at the DDs.
But at home?
I wear slippers when I get out of bed and until I am dressed but just cannot get to grips with wearing them all day! Slippers make me feel slow and a bit lumpy, even clumsy. Perhaps it is the association with total relaxation, but I cannot “work” in them!
So despite having two very nice pairs of comfortable slippers both with indoor/outdoor soles for patio use at short notice, I have now designated a pair of lightweight suede loafers which I wore in the summer as my indoor shoes.
Am I unusual?

Bathsheba Wed 13-Nov-19 11:08:52

No I don't think you're unusual at all Maw. I know a lot of people who prefer to wear comfortable lightweight shoes indoors rather than slippers.

Me? I'm afraid I just love my slippers! It might be to do with the problems I have with my feet, but I'm always glad to get my shoes off when I come in, even though I always wear wider fitting, comfortable footwear.

fizzers Wed 13-Nov-19 11:17:10

I never wear shoes in the house, it's totally alien for me, I'm either barefooted, wear socks, or wear slippers.

I even take my shoes off when I go into other friends/family's houses.

i think it stems from when we were younger and our front door led straight into the living room, mother obviously didn't want carpets ruining, One of my homes was also like this. I guess the habit has stuck with me

MiniMoon Wed 13-Nov-19 11:24:43

I never wear any sort of shoes in the house. I have three pairs of slippers.
I have a pair of bootee type with outdoor soles so that I can go across the gravel to the bin, a pair of slip on miles and a pair I keep for taking away with me if we go to a self catering place.
It would seem wrong to wear shoes indoors, it's the way I was taught as a child.

annsixty Wed 13-Nov-19 11:45:28

Until very recently I have worn the last summers flat sandals in the house, however now I like sturdy slippers, warm on the outside and firm soles that don't feel sloppy and in which I can nip outside.

Calendargirl Wed 13-Nov-19 12:39:12

Always wear slippers in the house, warmer ones in winter, freebie Singapore Airline mules in summer.
Aware that when someone comes to the door, must look a real old granny with my slippers and pinny, but hey ho.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Nov-19 12:45:24

I wear slippers until I get dressed, then I've got a whole collection of indoor shoes that have never been outside. When it gets chilly, the indoor boots come out!

Auntieflo Wed 13-Nov-19 12:46:20

I had a pair of very soft, loafer type shoes, that I wore indoors, when my last slippers gave up the ghost.
Then when the loafers wore out, I was wearing a pair of Moshulu sandals indoors, during the summer, when I wasn't barefoot, which I love.
Now I am wearing a pair of comfy ,velvety, M&S slippers, that I have had for ages, but never worn until now.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Nov-19 12:50:20

I wouldn't nip outside in any of them (as it's muddy around here) so I have slip-on gardening mules at the back door and in the porch. It saves an awful lot of dirt coming in.

The dog wipes her feet but the cat doesn't care and can cross two dirt-trapper mats but still leave muddy footprints on all the floors and windowsills!

Gonegirl Wed 13-Nov-19 12:51:14

I always wear these slippers You can tighten them to stay on well. Important especially on the stairs.

Not glam though.

BlueSapphire Wed 13-Nov-19 12:55:43

Always wear slippers in the house, in them all day if I'm not going out.
What I'm going to do when these wear out I do not know as M&S seem to have stopped selling my favourite style - slip-on mules with a tiny heel. Will have to have a good trawl around the internet.

threexnanny Wed 13-Nov-19 13:16:31

I like slip on mules with a firm sole and small heal too. Last pair bought a few weeks ago while on holiday in Devon. They have velvet tops and a warm lining but not sheepskin which I find too hot. Manufactured by 'Lunar' - never heard of them before.During the summer I wear leather backless clogs also bought on holiday.
Cannot wear anything soft soled as I don't feel safe coming down stairs in them. OH likes soft suede loafers indoors.

MawB Wed 13-Nov-19 13:30:14

Not glam though

You can say that again.
The epitome of granny carpet slippers. ???.

ayse Wed 13-Nov-19 13:33:18

I love my sheepskin slippers as they keep my feet toasty. I bought them on amazon and wouldn’t be without them.

Each to their own, I think

Gonegirl Wed 13-Nov-19 13:36:58

I am a granny. I walk on carpet.

They are the slippers that stop my plantar faciitis.

You're only saying that cos I didn't like your coatagin anyway. hmmgrin

lemongrove Wed 13-Nov-19 14:01:24

grin

lemongrove Wed 13-Nov-19 14:04:19

I always take shoes off indoors ( and at anyone else's house too) and pop a pair of slippers on.M&S do good flat mule with a supportive sole, and when really cold the knitted boot type are very cosy.

ladymuck Wed 13-Nov-19 14:19:15

The point is to wear different footwear in the house. If you prefer to wear light shoes instead of slippers, that's fine, so long as you keep them for indoors.
When you consider the things our shoes have to tread in, it's quite disgusting to bring that muck indoors onto your carpets.

MawB Wed 13-Nov-19 15:16:01

We’ll that was rather my point LadyMuck hmm

MawB Wed 13-Nov-19 15:16:27

Well not we’ll

merlotgran Wed 13-Nov-19 15:37:36

I have large feet so I wear men's tartan pattern slippers from Tesco.

They actually look really good with jeans and I have been known to forget to take them off when popping up to the village shop!

M0nica Wed 13-Nov-19 15:58:50

All our floors are wood and our stairs those narrow windy cottage stairs, so walking round in bare feet or socks or any slipper with a smoth slippy sole is a complete no-no, so like threexnanny I wear backless leather clogs because they are safe to walk in on slippery floors but I can slip my feet out of them as soon as I sit down.

Sar53 Wed 13-Nov-19 16:09:12

Comfy slippers here. I have pairs at both DD's houses. I like my feet to feel warm and cosy.

phoenix Wed 13-Nov-19 16:28:11

Barefoot here! (As the soles of my feet prove, never quite sure if I should just have a pedicure at the local salon, go to a chiropodist, or get the farrier in with his hoof trimming knife blush)

ninathenana Wed 13-Nov-19 17:09:23

The first thing I door when arriving home is take my shoes off. Not for the sake of the carpets, I just don't like my feet enclosed.
My indoor footwear in summer are a pair of Berkenstock style sandals but the minute I sit down they are kicked off. In winter I wear mule style slippers with outdoor soles. They get kicked off too.
Indoor boots are my idea of hell.