Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Outfit for informal wedding

(67 Posts)
varian Tue 28-Jan-20 13:21:56

Can anyone advise what I should wear to an informal family wedding in Febtuary? The ceremomy will be in a city centre Registry office then we will walk to a nearby restauranr.

timetogo2016 Tue 28-Jan-20 13:26:10

A nice/smart pair of trousers and a warm jumper/cardigan.
Especially as it`s going to be cold.

Iwastoldtheredbecake Tue 28-Jan-20 13:33:56

I would opt for a warm long sleeved dress, opaque tights and comfy low heeled shoes.
Have fun.

Marydoll Tue 28-Jan-20 13:48:15

What about a wrap or poncho, instead of a cardigan?

Curlywhirly Tue 28-Jan-20 13:50:54

Trouser suit?

MawB Tue 28-Jan-20 13:54:44

Smart trousers and jacket/knee length coat, smart ankle boots and a wrap or poncho for warmth outside.

Gaunt47 Tue 28-Jan-20 14:08:43

Wraps and ponchos get blown off in February - a very very warm waterproof long coat would be my choice smile

MawB Tue 28-Jan-20 14:11:27

Ponchos do not get blown off - I regularly wear them, and a wrap, as an extra layer, can always be fixed with a brooch or kilt pin.

MawB Tue 28-Jan-20 14:12:34

Each to their own, but a long waterproof coat is what I wear for dog walking!
I know OP said “informal” but ........

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jan-20 14:20:34

A cardigan. A waterproof coat. Oh good lord, no,no,no ??

eazybee Tue 28-Jan-20 14:26:41

Can you find out what are the bride and groom wearing, and how warm the restaurant will be?

Buffybee Tue 28-Jan-20 14:33:45

Either, as Maw suggested: smart trousers, jacket and knee length coat or
long sleeve dress, warm tights, ankle or knee length boots and warm coat.
Maybe a faux fur jacket? If you can still find one this late in the season.

varian Tue 28-Jan-20 14:50:37

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I will need to buy a coat or long jacket as I can't wear my old wax jacket, office jacket, everyday padded anorak or the dreary old winter coat I wear for funerals. I will also need a dress as I normally live in trousers and none of my trousers are smart enough.

I normally wear a lot of black but my OH wants me to get something more colourful. I prefer dark colours, especially green, purple and blue (but not navy)

In general I like plain rather than fancy clothes but as I am in my seventies and a tad overweight, there is always the danger that I will look frumpy or lumpy or both. I feel I need a bit of understated style but I don't know where to start.

Nico97 Tue 28-Jan-20 15:10:37

Try browsing some online catalogues Varian.

Kaleidoscope
JDWilliams
Roman Original

These all show outfits which may help -or not. Good luck !

Buffybee Tue 28-Jan-20 15:27:16

If you live in trousers varian, would you get much wear from a dress?
What about smart black trousers and a colourful blouse or longer line top?
Other guests will mainly see only your top half at the meal and you will have a coat over the top in the church.

GillT57 Tue 28-Jan-20 15:33:02

What about black trousers, a colourful top and a nice cheery red wool three quarter length coat/short jacket? Bright and warm for a cold time of year and you could always wear black ankle boots and warm socks too!

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jan-20 15:50:28

I expect the walk to the restaurant is not where chatter and photos will happen. Leave the coat till last. If it's very close I'd use one I had. Google the distance!

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jan-20 15:57:00

Chesca still has a sale on at the moment.
Have a look at House of Fraser as they sell quite a range.
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/chesca

Patsy70 Tue 28-Jan-20 21:35:46

Go for comfort, warmth, long lines, co-ordinates, colours that suit you (not your OH!) Try Phase Eight, Hobbs, John Lewis! Let us know what you've chosen. I've got 2 weddings this year in April and September, so intend buying one outfit for both! Enjoy the shopping and take a friend whose judgment you trust!

Dollymac Tue 28-Jan-20 21:58:30

As it is a wedding, albeit informal, I would still want to look and feel 'smart'
If you usually wear trousers, then, you would probably get the most wear out of them afterwards
I would suggest a pair of woollen, wide leg trousers, a co-ordinating knee length coatigan,with a pink or peach coloured scarf to lift your complexion. A lace blouse, as it will probably be warm in the restaurant after your walk and nice big handbag and ankle boots
Enjoy your day, bet you will look lovely whatever you choose

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 22:46:31

White Stuff has a sale.
I rarely wear dresses (well, never if I can help it) but if I was going to a wedding I would try on a dress with thick coloured tights and ankle boots and a warm coat/jacket.
Or slim velvet trousers with a nice long top?

varian Wed 29-Jan-20 05:12:18

I have been looking at various clothing websites but the clothes are all being modelled by women who look nothing like me - they are all tall, slim, pretty and at least fifty years younger than I am so it does not follow that what looks good on them will work for me.

Marydoll Wed 29-Jan-20 07:59:10

Varian, I trawled through Pinterest to look for ideas.
What I did notice that, even at an informal wedding, guests were still smartly dressed.
Callistemon has some good suggestions.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Jan-20 08:07:53

Please let me encourage you to look at Chesca. They do have outfits for all sorts of shapes. If you can get to a shop that sells them you will see what I mean. Do you have a House of Fraser still?

Otherwise, you could try "Made in Italy" clothes. These are generally sold by independent retailers but can be found online. They have some easy-fit plain tunics which can soon be jazzed up with a lovely scarf or chunky necklace. This company sells them:
www.kitandkaboodal.co.uk/

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Jan-20 08:14:15

... also here: pureplusclothing.co.uk/