Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you hanker after a dress you just missed buying?

(18 Posts)
mokryna Fri 21-Feb-20 16:30:25

A couple of years ago I was unable to buy a light blue lily pleat fitted JL dress, they only had my size 14 in navy blue which I bought. It fits me a treat and I feel good wearing it. However I still hanker after the one I missed out on. I have looked everywhere for it to no avail. Is there something you just missed out on and what would you do?

GagaJo Fri 21-Feb-20 16:33:42

I wanted to buy a SECOND Next dress that I love. I put in in my online basket and when I went back it was sold out.

I have ONE of them already, but really wanted a 2nd. I've learned in the past that if you love it, buy 2, but I delayed and missed out.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 16:33:58

I sometimes hanker after a charity shop bargain that I didn't buy.
On that note; have you thought of looking or looked on eBay?

MawB Fri 21-Feb-20 16:35:23

No- life is too short! Occasionally I regret not pushing the boat out on an “investment” piece when I settled for something cheaper but then spent more on things to go with it.

You could try eBay of course.

GagaJo Fri 21-Feb-20 16:48:16

Well, what do you know. I went back onto the Next site and they must have restocked . Bought it immediately, of course!

mokryna Fri 21-Feb-20 17:37:22

Yes, I have looked on every secondhand site. JL did not restock this item, even wrote to them. My last hope gransnet, someone maybe clearing out their wardrobe.

Ginny42 Fri 21-Feb-20 17:49:24

Only yesterday I saw a beautiful dress in JL and thought it too expensive. Today my DD said, 'Mum! Why ever not?' I hope they've still got it in my size on Sunday when I can go back,. or I shall be regretting not buying it!

mokryna Fri 21-Feb-20 18:06:51

Go for it Ginny, even book it on line to pick up in the shop to try on as it is Saturday tomorrow. I never wait for the sales if I really like something, cause it will be sold out by that time and I just like blue. However I never look at very expensive clothes.

NotTooOld Fri 21-Feb-20 18:25:29

No. I'm much more likely to regret something I did buy. I have a bad habit of buying two of something if I like it a lot. Then when I put the second one on at home I find the fit is marginally different to the first one that I did try on in the shop and I have to take it back, or if I decide to keep it anyway I don't feel good in it. I did that recently with some jeggings from MnS, the second version was hopelessly different to the pair I tried on. Well, it was MnS so why was I surprised?

mokryna Fri 21-Feb-20 19:30:59

Funny you should say that, when something is just fitting, I ask to try another of the same size, assistants don’t seem to understand that the same size may differ or they are hesitant because they don’t want to go to the stockroom. I’m not talking about MS though. But I am a lazy shopper as I will buy two pairs of the same shoe.

NanKate Fri 21-Feb-20 20:41:57

I hanker after a dress I had in my teens and I wore it many times. Would love a replica of it now. Sort of Princess style, but loose fitting at the bust and flared out at the skirt. It was mostly in navy with lime green around the neck and on the sleeves.

I feel very nostalgic now and a little bit sad. I would love to revisit my youth of 16 - 20.

BradfordLass73 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:03:16

The most beautiful dress I'd ever seen was on a website in the USA. I was fortunate that a dear American friend facilitated the purchase and it's still in my wardrobe 22 years later and worn occasionally.

I have had people literally stop me in the street (or at concerts and ren fairs) asking where I bought it.

It's mediaeval styling is not everyone's taste of course but it's mine and still my favourite.

It swirls as I walk, like Ginger Rogers' dresses used to do in Top Hat and has a tie back so fits my shape well and I always look and feel beautiful in it.

The photos don't really do it justice; the colours are like jewels.

NanKate Sat 22-Feb-20 07:53:40

Fabulous BradfordLass. ?

mokryna Sat 22-Feb-20 09:01:45

Love the dress, Bradfordlass, wish I could wear and carry it off but the latest fashion long, long sleeves and high-necked just what I wore in the 70s after ditching the 60s mini now make me look frumpy in the first and ridiculous in the second.

Riverwalk Sat 22-Feb-20 09:23:51

For a number of years running mokryna dresses are again long, frilly, tiered, curtain material - far too fussy and frumpy on anyone other than a 20-something beanpole!

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 11:11:43

No ... but I still hanker after a beautiful blue patterned leather Tetrad chesterfield sofa, which I saw on an auction site.

I measured our living room three times ... but my dream sofa was just too big ...?

janeainsworth Sat 22-Feb-20 11:20:26

I went out the other night leaving MrA with instructions to bid on eBay for some G-plan Fresco nesting tables.
He forgot and they went for only £42 sadangry

Deedaa Sun 23-Feb-20 21:35:14

Back in the early 70s I saw a wonderful white Ossie Clark blouse in Vogue. I was terribly tempted but it was 7 or 8 guineas, much more than the £4 or £5 I usually spent in Biba. In the end I decided it was too expensive but I still regret not buying it.