Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

stripping dye from hair

(19 Posts)
SalsaQueen Sat 22-Feb-20 13:35:01

After having had dyed (almost black0 hair for many years, I'm sick of it - it's ageing on me, and my roots come through white - so I've spent 4 hours today, using hair-stripping stuff on it (twice, 2 boxes of the stuff). The dark colour has all gone, but now it's bright orange grin. I've just sent my husband to Asda to buy a blonde/light brown semi-permanent colour, to tone it down........... I might have to wear a hat for some time grin

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 13:37:11

Oh dear, I asked my hairdresser recently about stripping the colour from my hair and going ‘natural’ .

She said nope, it won’t work.

One day I’ll have to bite the bullet and stop colouring it.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 13:38:20

Sorry forgot to say, how brave are you!!

I have very long hair and I would be afraid of it all falling out.

Hope you can tone it down a bit.

SalsaQueen Sat 22-Feb-20 13:40:32

I had it stripped and then dyed blonde, several years ago, at a hairdresser;'s, but it was really expensive.

I bought this stuff from Amazon. I think it was about £10 a box.

I hope it's dark in the pub tonight...........grin

DoraMarr Sat 22-Feb-20 14:07:39

I had my dye stripped in a salon, and then a toner was applied. My hair was a bit yellowish for a while, and I had to tone it down with blue shampoo, and wear a hat in the sun. Now it is a lovely silvery grey, and healthy.

Hetty58 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:12:11

I've found that a little washing up liquid, used as shampoo, does a good job of removing dye. Use the purple 'silver' shampoo to tone down any yellow or orange tints.

Hetty58 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:13:46

As for the root regrowth, the Loreal root touch up spray is really handy.

SalsaQueen Sat 22-Feb-20 15:06:03

Well, I put on a blonde dye, which has resulted in ,y hair being a mid-brown colour. I'll try the spray when my roots come through, I think.

Yiayia4 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:07:09

Baby shampoo is good at stripping colour,you would be better with a light brown it will lighten up after a few shampoos.Good luck hope it works out.

PamGeo Sat 22-Feb-20 15:14:41

I've just been chatting about this with my sister, as previously suggested the silver shampoo left in for a few minutes should take the left over red out a little.
If you can afford to have some low lights put in to break up the colour and let your own colour take over in time it won't look so drastic. If not then just be patient as the remaining redness will fade, you can always say it's how you wanted it to look and you're happy with it wink

Eglantine21 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:36:00

Umm, fed up with my grey hair I actually had some bright orange put in, combined with shocking pink!

How about it??

phoenix Sat 22-Feb-20 16:41:27

When I went from a sort of (dyed) burgundy to my natural grey/white I was in the salon for 4 hours! And yes, at one stage during the process my hair was definitely apricot in colour!

Coolgran65 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:47:46

My hairdresser said Head nd Shoulders was pretty good for taking out colour.

JuliaM Sat 22-Feb-20 16:59:41

You just have to be very careful using hair dye products on top of each other, some contain ammonia or peroxide and can rot the hair and cause it to break off at the point where your natural root hair joins onto the over processed dyed hair, once that happens the only option is to choose a very short hairstyle and have it all professionally trimmed and tidied up.
The same thing can happen when using a combination of hair dye and perm lotions, it can just break off at the rinsing stage and block the sink!

H1954 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:10

Mmmmm! Don't think I can really offer any constructive advice on such a radical colour change.

However, my hairdresser swears by Head & Shoulders classic shampoo for toning down colour, she always says to NOT use it if you want to keep a colour from fading.

Many years ago I used a Hint of a Tint wash-in shampoo colour and left it on three times longer than I should! Persil soap powder washed it out a treat! ?

SalsaQueen Sat 22-Feb-20 17:54:58

I think I'm going to get it cut short (it's longer than collar-length, not quite shoulder-length) and have highlights put in....... after payday grin. Thanks for all the advice smile

GagaJo Sat 22-Feb-20 17:58:26

Yes, blonde dye and then purple shampoo should keep it from being brassy.

Susie42 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:49:43

My hairdresser recommends using Head & Shoulders shampoo to strip out colour.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 23-Feb-20 21:49:58

Second head and shoulders for stripping colour out