Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Head scarf type thing?

(29 Posts)
Greymar Thu 02-Apr-20 19:17:02

Aargh, my roots are showing, my haird is poor and thin. I was thinking of some sort of bandana or scarf. I realise this is of no consequence but has anybody tried such a device!

Ngaio1 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:31:09

Not so far! My hair is grey all over and thick so don't have this problem BUT it will soon need a cut and so I shall be looking for solutions! I am going to search the beauty bloggers and see what they come up with. I think we are going to have to be very inventive. Perhaps Gransnetters en masse can come up with ideas?

SalsaQueen Fri 03-Apr-20 10:10:27

Are you able to go out? Why not buy a box dye and do your roots? Otherwise, perhaps order a dye or scarf online (Amazon?)

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 10:17:44

www.amazon.co.uk/s?ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank&s=price-asc-rank&crid=14HTM5YO087R1&sprefix=Buff%2Csports%2C204&i=sports&k=buff+women&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1585905261

No idea if link will work but these are some good ideas. I have a few of the “buff” or “bandanna”. Things that I use to keep ears/head warm playing tennis in winter. They are very adaptable.

gillybob Fri 03-Apr-20 10:25:07

I always do my own roots as I could never afford to have them done at the hairdressers...I hate going anyway.

Quite easy to do the front and sides and I just kind of guess the back (I can’t see the back anyway) . Why not order one for delivery if you can’t get out Greymar? One word of warning though always go a shade lighter than you think you need. Good luck smile

Alexa Fri 03-Apr-20 11:20:41

Greymar, my hair also is poor and thin. Its also dry and I would not like to be without Vitapointe applied liberally but not to the pointe of greasiness.
Since my hair became thin I prefer it short club cut, not layered, to give as much bulk as possible

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 12:07:57

I am awaiting dye. I quite fancy a sort of Carmen Miranda arrangement or a sassy red spotted neckerchief or even a bit of cultural appropriation.

I know in reality, it won't happen.wink

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 12:40:29

Greymar did you look at the ones I suggested? There are lots of YouTube videos of how to wear them

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 12:48:56

Wow, there are some nice ones there Lucca, thanks

TromsoGirl Fri 17-Apr-20 17:04:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BradfordLass73 Fri 17-Apr-20 23:04:01

This might inspire you smile

www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/24118241

FlyingHandbag Mon 20-Apr-20 16:59:13

This is a good deal for a headscarf. I used to wear them and found them very glamorous but I stopped for fear of looking vulgar. I might start wearing them again as they can look very glamorous when a particularly nice one is styled properly. Even a normal scarf placed on the head, crossed under the chin and wrapped around the neck so the ends meet at the front and tied would work.
I always wear red lipstick (and sometimes sunglasses) with mine for an Audrey Hepburn/Grace Kelly look.

Sparkling Tue 21-Apr-20 07:59:22

My hair since the lock down has grown so much it's at my shoulders, I tie it back in a low pony tail as don't know what to do with it. It always looks neat, but unfortunately I have a very jowly neck which suddenly decided to appear. I can't put eye make up on because of an eye infection, so look awful. The first thing I will do when this us over, after hugging everyone is get my hair done to chin length.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Apr-20 08:07:53

I ve got fairly thick blonde /white short choppy hair Well let’s say it’s more choppy now as every time I see a bit out of place out come the scissors haha I m told it still looks ok perhaps people are just being kind

JackyB Tue 21-Apr-20 08:17:30

IF I go out, which I haven't been, I shall be folding one of those cotton squares diagonally, until it's a long strip about 2" wide, and tying it round my head to cover the roots, tying it at the nape, like a headband. That will also give it some semblance of order, I hope. It's too hot here for a full headscarf.

Sparkling Wed 22-Apr-20 05:37:12

Perhaps a Carmen Miranda type turban might be fashionable.

Whingingmom Tue 28-Apr-20 12:09:50

Tried a bandanna/headscarf but looked more Mrs Overall than Carmen Miranda. I’m sure others on here are more glamorous!

Goodasgold12 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:14:26

Glamarous! Im not! loll I wear a straw hat to go walking a thick hair band to cover my roots and wear it in a pony tail at work!

yggdrasil Tue 28-Apr-20 12:22:14

what about a hijab?

ninathenana Tue 28-Apr-20 14:49:06

Something like this ?

ninathenana Tue 28-Apr-20 14:50:03

I know it says chemo cap but it doesn't have to be.

AGAA4 Tue 28-Apr-20 14:57:56

FlyingHandbag. Thanks. These look to be the sort of thing I need to cover my hair, which is awful after no hairdresser for ages.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 28-Apr-20 15:11:20

You can buy Root Touch Up from Amazon rather than a hat!

amazon.co.uk/s?k=root+touch+up&ref=nb_sb_noss_2]]

MissAdventure Tue 28-Apr-20 15:47:59

I can never keep headbands on my head.
I like to think it's because of my petite cranium.

welbeck Tue 28-Apr-20 17:02:41

was carmen miranda the lady who carried her fruit bowl on her head, now there's an idea in these straightened times, and if it doesn't work i'll eat my hat.