Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Suggestions for attractive clothes wanted

(106 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 23-Jun-20 09:53:27

Does anyone have a favourite brand to recommend? I have been trying to be tempted by the clothes I see online but they don't even look nice on the pretty young models.

I have bought a few tops and bottoms from Debenhams and had to return half and a sleeveless frock sent in error from vera tucci.

I have put on weight over Lockdown and feel fat and old but a pretty summer dress which flatters, not too expensive would cheer me up..

I would normally try TKMax, Next or possibly M&S and John Lewis but all our shops are still closed in Scotland so it needs to be posted.

Puzzler61 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:56:29

Have you looked at Damart? I’ve had t shirts and trousers and been pleased with quality and cut of both - all at sale prices, though not too expensive a brand anyway. Their courier has been prompt too.

Alexa Tue 23-Jun-20 09:59:08

I like Gudrun Sjoden but expensive.

Alexa Tue 23-Jun-20 10:02:16

Sorry, you said not too expensive.

Personally, I find a pretty cotton skirt and a loose tee shirt hide my fat bits better than most dresses.

MawB Tue 23-Jun-20 10:07:21

I agree about the expensive brands - I used to be (still am in my heart) a Sahara fan but their prices rule them out these days. However, for quality and “flatter” , do have a look.
Something in me resents paying top dollar for summer clothes which either languish unworn as the rain pours down or if we get a heatwave, get worn and washed to death!
I like Seasalt too, or you could look at White Stuff and Joules. Returns are usually free .
Good luck! Do post a pic if you see something nice.

annodomini Tue 23-Jun-20 10:30:32

Bon Marché has some bright, cheerful items which could be worth a look as they are available on line. I've had some good tops from there, though I haven't worn a dress for over a decade = more likely to wear tops with a skirt or cotton crops in summer.

JackyB Tue 23-Jun-20 10:41:13

I agree that if you've got a bit plump it's better to wear separates. A dress that covers you comfortably will be too wide, whereas if you cover your bottom with a tunic, loose blouse or a tunic, you can narrow the silhouette a little with trousers. Not a skirt, or you'll be back to the pillar box shape again.

However, have an honest look in the mirror and see if you're not overestimating your bulges. Maybe you'll look good in a waist length top and fitting skirt or trousers. Or even a shift dress.

For me the only priority is to look and feel cool and comfortable.

Oh, and I don't agree about Gudrun Sjoden. I thin they look uncomfortable and very impractical.

MiniMoon Tue 23-Jun-20 11:08:50

I like Masai clothes, but they are expensive.
I have bought from QVC too. Nina Leonard, Kim & Co, and Antthony Designs are the brands I tend to favour, but you have to be selective. I usually read the reviews before I buy.
I like White Stuff for tops, they are fairly reasonably priced.

Witzend Tue 23-Jun-20 11:11:01

I like Seasalt, not everything, but I’ve had some v nice tops and tunics from them. For summer I particularly like their striped pure cotton T shirt type tops with elbow length sleeves - not easy to find.
Online delivery is fast.

Grammaretto Tue 23-Jun-20 11:46:32

Thankyou pals. I am glad I asked. I knew you would have some good suggestions.
I have a friend who is a poster girl for gudrun sodjen but not for me. Toast is sometimes nice too.
I'll look again at seasalt and try to get excited. grin

Rosalyn69 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:16:30

Joules are nice and very wearable. Hush do nice easy to wear clothes. I’m not sure if they are too expensive but worth a look.

DiscoGran Tue 23-Jun-20 12:25:31

Next have some nice Linen blend dresses for £30 in lots of patterns/colours.
I got a few last year and they are really cool and comfortable, and wash and iron beautifully. Don't crease much either. They are just on the knee length and sleeveless. Can be dressed up with a little thin cardi.

DiscoGran Tue 23-Jun-20 12:32:35

Forgot to say, order your actual size as they skim your curves so are flattering. Also, have pockets, wish more dresses had pockets!

Nanna58 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:49:41

E bay is always worth looking at for unused/ lightly used clothes from the expensive brands like Masai, Sahara , Mint Velvet, Seasalt etc. Sometimes you strike it lucky! Today I’m wearing a beautiful Masai dress and Jones sandals - both secondhand from there! Good luck!

yggdrasil Tue 23-Jun-20 13:43:49

I still buy (at times) from the J D Wiliams catalogue. They do all sizes, and a variety of styles. If anything doesn't fit or suit, it is very easy to return

vegansrock Tue 23-Jun-20 13:53:34

I love Uniqlo for basics and Cos for something a bit different.

Willow73 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:39:21

I am a size 14/16 but have large thighs and tops of arms. So end up looking like a tree trunk with fat branches!
Any suggestions?

recklessgran Tue 23-Jun-20 15:34:06

Have you tried Roman Originals Grammaretto? I've bought quite a lot from them during lockdown and there's generally a code floating about to get money off. I think the code HELLO gives 20% off for new customers. Orders arrive quickly and I've been very pleased with the quality considering the relatively low cost. The only downside I can find is that there is a charge for return postage [deducted from the refund] and if you choose to return things to one of their shops the money isn't refunded but is put on a gift card.

FlyingHandbag Tue 23-Jun-20 15:39:04

I like Shein. It is dirt cheap and the clothes are lovely. I also like Damart, Kaleidoscope, Next, New Look. TK Maxx is worth a look if you are ok to rummage around, I got a beautiful Vera Moda jumper in there a few years ago, lilac with little holes in it that formed a pattern for £12. I've had many many things from there, I once saw a DKNY dress for £20 and had to stop myself. Also the supermarket clothes can be good, especially M&S and Tesco. X

Fernbergien Tue 23-Jun-20 16:13:27

If you ladies like elbow length sleeves go to Cotton Traders. Dresses and tees. Mock wrap dresses suit most people. C T are very good with their sizes.

Grammaretto Tue 23-Jun-20 16:57:13

I bit the bullet and have bought a dress on Ebay Nanna58
It's bright red cotton but cheap enough that it won't matter if it's a mistake

You all forget that the rules are different in Scotland and none of our stores are physically open.

Shops such as TKMaxx invite scouring the rails for bargains like the charity shops which are closed too.

I will be sure to look at all your suggestions. Half the fun is being tempted and I wasn't being.
There are some beautiful dresses at Palava, for the fuller figure.
palava.co/collections/palava-curve

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Jun-20 06:49:28

Please post a photo when you get your new red dress Grammaretto. ?

Grammaretto Wed 24-Jun-20 11:05:13

Puzzler61 with me in it! grin perhaps better not.

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:26:25

Grammaretto Only if the dress is “A keeper”and makes you feel nice ?
I sent for a top on Sunday - and it was pushed through my door yesterday without paying for 48 hrs delay.
I’m wearing it today!

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Jun-20 11:26:57

*del’y. not delay. Blooming spellcheck.