Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Will never wear a normal bra again!

(108 Posts)
Chrisks Sun 09-Aug-20 11:29:41

My daughter told me about crop tops from Primark or even crop tops from anywhere! Gosh, I’ve had some uncomfortable bras in the past, wires digging in and straps constantly falling down. Just wondered if anyone else has found how wonderful they are!

tanith Sun 09-Aug-20 11:34:20

I’d love to but they aren’t supportive enough, alright schlepping round the house but not out and about. I agree very comfy I have a couple to sleep in but not in this heat ??

Missfoodlove Sun 09-Aug-20 11:55:43

Yes!!!! Got my first this week?.
Thought I would just use them for travel/walking and use my usual bras otherwise.
I’m a convert. I went the whole hog and got the matching big knickers ?

BlueBelle Sun 09-Aug-20 11:58:13

Just out of curiosity why do people sleep in bras I can’t wait to let it all hang free at night time

NotAGran55 Sun 09-Aug-20 12:01:55

Too much up front for me to suit them!
If straps fall down and wires dig in then the bra is the wrong size for you .

NotAGran55 Sun 09-Aug-20 12:01:56

Too much up front for me to suit them!
If straps fall down and wires dig in then the bra is the wrong size for you .

NotAGran55 Sun 09-Aug-20 12:03:41

Oops technical error with iPad - duplicate post.

ninathenana Sun 09-Aug-20 12:09:27

Bluebelle I believe some well endowed ladies find that their boobs flop sideways when their laying down which can cause a "dragging" feeling so prefer to 'contain' them.
This dosen't apply to me being a mere 'B' cup.

Sussexborn Sun 09-Aug-20 12:11:48

I got two bras from Miss Mary of something or somewhere. Wide straps and wide band underneath. Only two designs with cotton. Better than most but still take my bra off as soon as I get home.

Have a large drawer full of cotton vest tops with built in bras but will check out Primark next time I go shopping to see what they have.

Forgot myself once and took my bra off when my son in law was with us. He laughed and said my daughter does exactly the same.

Sussexborn Sun 09-Aug-20 12:13:06

Miss Mary give clear instructions on measuring as well.

henetha Sun 09-Aug-20 12:15:12

I love these little top things instead of bras. ( but only in the house. ) They are so comfortable.
I don't wear any sort of bra in bed, it's nice to hang free.

Gajahgran Sun 09-Aug-20 13:49:04

Matalan do some really pretty ones. Some with lace and padding, others plain. They also do some good sports bras. Lovely and comfy, it's a revelation! They all wash really well.

DillytheGardener Sun 09-Aug-20 13:56:47

Yes I’ve gone full time on wearing bras without underwires. I imagine when ‘normal’ life returns I’ll wear bras again for formal occasions, but for round the house and garden bbqs no way! I will look at the Matalan bras Gajahgran thanks for the tip! I wonder if Next make them? I’ll have to look. I ordered a couple non underwire one from Calvin Klein a friend recommended but I need a few so I’m not constantly washing them.

vegansrock Sun 09-Aug-20 14:04:33

If “normal” bras are uncomfortable then you are wearing the wrong size.

Judy54 Sun 09-Aug-20 14:58:09

I have a couple of soft bras from Sloggi. They have no wires and are mainly cotton and so much more comfortable to wear in this heat. Must admit I only wear them when going out, when at home in this extreme hot weather I just wear a sleeveless top and no bra. Quite liberating!

JackyB Sun 09-Aug-20 15:47:27

I couldn't bear bouncing and flopping about. I once read that leaving your boobs to themselves/gravity stretches the muscles and whatever else is in there irreparably, so I'll stick to my underwired bras, fastened tightly, thank you. Only removed at bed time. I don't want my mammaries banging against my knees in ten years' time.

I don't find bras uncomfortable and wear one even in this hot weather - especially in this hot weather! The thought of sweaty flesh slithering over sweaty flesh horrifies me.

annep1 Sun 09-Aug-20 16:05:58

Why do people sleep in bras?

Fibromyalgia, costocondritis. Floppy boobs hurt.
The part of the bra that stretches round hurts too. So crop tops are nice for a short time but not enough support. During the day I will have worn maybe four different bras trying to feel comfortable.

NotTooOld Sun 09-Aug-20 16:24:12

People always say one is wearing the wrong bra if it is too tight/too loose/straps fall down/boobs fall out etc and then they usually add 'you need to be properly fitted and then you will be comfortable'. Well, balderdash to that. I've been 'properly fitted' a dozen or more times and I still never end up with a comfortable bra. I once decided those crop top type bras were the answer and bought several. True, they are comfortable but they are not exactly flattering. Sideways I looked like a sack of potatoes. Currently I'm wearing MnS sports bras in a 40B which are bearable but the last time I was 'properly fitted' I was told I should wear a 38C which is ok cup-wise but just cuts me in half across the middle. I must have wasted a small fortune in unwearable bras over the years. By the way, if you decide on a Genii bra or similar (that's the crop top ones) you will find they are very small-sized so order bigger than you think you will need.

Ninarosa Sun 09-Aug-20 16:41:52

I found the Sloggi crop top bras were the most comfy in a multitude I'd bought, some nice colours too. Medium support for a 38c bust. However, the first time I did a spot of weeding wearing one my girlies made a swift bid for freedom.

DillytheGardener Sun 09-Aug-20 17:24:17

Ninarosa. That made me laugh, my girlies always make a bid for freedom at the pool!

Saxifrage Sun 09-Aug-20 18:51:49

Tesco had some rather pretty wireless bras just before lock down. Looking forward to going back and buying more. They are good looking and comfortable.

Septimia Sun 09-Aug-20 19:14:48

I once worked at a job where you could have no metal on you at all - not even the hooks and eyes on a bra - so had to wear crop top type underwear.

Apart from the fact that the crop tops didn't give enough support (especially for an F cup), I didn't like the monoboob effect that they produced.

Sometimes my underwired bras do get a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day, but I'll stick with the 'separation' that they provide!

Jane10 Sun 09-Aug-20 20:13:37

I'm so happy to see I'm not the only convert to croptop bras. Mine are M&S crossfit ones. Very supportive but without wires etc. I like the way the edges just thin away to almost nothing. No hard straps. I feel well contained and supported. As they are longer line there's no indentation lines in the (copious) flab No going back now.

diygran Sun 09-Aug-20 21:31:50

Jane10
The M&S crossfit bra you mention sounds good. I'll give it a try - my Triumph Doreen nonwired bras are a strangling nightmare in the evening.
Daughter was advised at school years
ago not to wear underwired bras as they can cause cancer if used regularly. I only wear them for social occasions.

Jane10 Mon 10-Aug-20 08:26:51

I think the underwire bra causing cancer thing is an urban myth diygran!