Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Flattering flats

(21 Posts)
lizzyla Mon 10-Aug-20 07:20:27

If you can no longer contemplate the agony of uncomfortable shoes and so wear Sketchers every day, what style of shoe is remotely flattering when you want to wear a frock. Happy in sandals in summer but winter is proving difficult....

tanith Mon 10-Aug-20 07:39:06

I have numerous Skechers shoes, trainers, sandals and flats in Winter I wear ankle boots or any of my Skechers trainer types they have so many different styles.

Riverwalk Mon 10-Aug-20 07:46:52

As an alternative to Skechers I bought these loafers from Geox - they go with anything and are very comfortable

Geox

I paid £85 for them and a couple of days later noticed they were half-price on the Geox site! Fortunately I hadn't worn them so swiftly trotted back to Peter Jones and got a refund, and there and then bought them back at the new half-price smile. They too had reduced the price the day after my purchase.

Nortsat Mon 10-Aug-20 07:49:43

Flat pumps, I have a black patent leather pair from Hobbs and a ‘snakeskin’ pair from Michael Kors.
I have several pairs of Mary Janes, from Moshulu and the sales in House of Fraser and John Lewis. They all look nice with thick tights and a dress/skirt in colder weather.

I always buy my shoes in the sales.

Marydoll Mon 10-Aug-20 07:51:27

Riverwalk, I do like them. Are they try to size?

Riverwalk Mon 10-Aug-20 07:58:21

Yes, Mary true to size - I'm a 5 and they fit perfectly.

Not sure if it shows on the link but they come in taupe, and red.

Nightsky2 Mon 10-Aug-20 08:04:16

Fitflops. They are smart and as there are numerous styles to choose from. I have several pairs of shoes and boots for any occasion.

Teetime Mon 10-Aug-20 09:11:36

Van Dal have quite a few attractive flat shoes in several width fittings and have a good sale on at the moment. Also try Gabor pricey but lovely shoes.

MiniMoon Mon 10-Aug-20 09:31:46

I bought a pair of sketchers mary janes to go with my summer dresses.
In the winter I wear thick tights or leggings with ankle boots.

my summer shoes

Auntieflo Mon 10-Aug-20 09:38:53

These Geox loafers look lovely, but £19.50 delivery charge!!!

Riverwalk Mon 10-Aug-20 09:46:24

Presumably you don't have a Geox store within reasonable distance?

I've just checked the delivery charges, £19.50 is for express; £6.90 for 3-5 days; and free delivery for orders of £49.

I think £6.90 is a bargain, considering the shoes are half-price.

Riverwalk Mon 10-Aug-20 09:47:43

Sorry, forgot to add I bought mine from a John Lewis store - any near you?

FlyingHandbag Mon 10-Aug-20 10:39:39

Does it have to be completely flat? I think a suede ankle boot with a very small block heel is lovely. X

Davida1968 Mon 10-Aug-20 10:45:08

Hotters? They have some pretty "pumps" styles, amongst others. For example: www.hotter.com/gb/en/livvy-shoes-lvvyxs?selectedColour=Sky

Serendipity22 Mon 10-Aug-20 10:57:33

This forum is great because its giving me an insight to FLATS.

From someone who trotter rounds daily in 2" 3" heels for years I now find myself forced into flat ( due to MS )

So, reading all the posts I am going to look into the type people have mentioned.

Looking back at photos of me stood looking fabulously carefree in my heels I think WHOAAAA HOW DID I WALK IN THOSE ....hahaha ( but I obviously did !)

lemongrove Mon 10-Aug-20 10:58:40

Sandals with a small heel in Summer ( with a dress) and I wear Winter dresses with boots or leggings and ballet style flats.

dogsmother Mon 10-Aug-20 11:11:15

It does you good if it’s possible for you, to mix it up and walk around in different heel heights at different times.
In fact a small heel is in fact good for posture.

lemongrove Mon 10-Aug-20 11:21:57

It really is dogsmother a small heel is much better for the spine.

Serendipity22 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:22:04

dogsmother

It's strange because I have some boots with a block 2" heel and I find that I can walk better in them than my completely flat flats

Rosalyn69 Mon 10-Aug-20 14:30:04

I wear mostly ballet flats. Dune,
Clark’s, The White Company and Jigsaw.
I do have one pair of Allbirds which are just amazing all round - comfortable and don’t go loose after a few wears.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Aug-20 14:55:39

I love all shoes, for flats every day I opt for Birkenstock’s, if I want to feel a bit dressy I opt for ballet pumps usually from Office. With jeans it’s converse or toms (for every pair of toms sold they provide a free pair of shoes for a child in a third world country)