Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Brands we have loved and lost?

(127 Posts)
MawB2 Thu 10-Sep-20 10:12:02

I am saddened and a bit worried about the “brands” and shops that are biting the dust these days.
Of course I can exist without them, but as I have got older I find there are certain labels which suit and fit and in which I feel comfortable - experimenting gets expensive.
I really miss Country Casuals and wish I had kept more of their things in years gone by.
I used to love Principles shops and the label Précis Petite as I am 5’2”.
I miss Weekenders - same reason As CC - wearable clothes, great value for money.
I lament the disappearance of the shoe shop Shoon in Bournemouth -I always found something I liked there -even at a price.
I feel sad about Hotter shops and concessions disappearing and I wonder if they can last. Their suede Pixie boots are so comfortable you could wear them as slippers!
Who do you miss or who do you fear might disappear?

loopyloo Thu 10-Sep-20 10:25:30

BHS , Woolworths, Carluccios.

Kamiso Thu 10-Sep-20 10:26:08

I commented to my OH that I used to wander around Laura Ashley when i was younger but only ever bought two of their classic dresses. Now that I could buy their clothes the shops are closing down. Like M&S they seem to have lost their way somehow.

MacCavity2 Thu 10-Sep-20 10:29:22

Thought I’d let you know that CC and Hotter shoes are alive and well in Edinburgh Wools shop next to Stewart’s Gardens centre in Christchurch. As you mentioned Bournemouth Shoon which I also miss perhaps Stewart’s may not be too far for you.

toscalily Thu 10-Sep-20 11:22:40

MawB2, Country Casuals is still available online, some items on sale at the moment. If you know your size and the styles you like perhaps that would be an option. I too miss Précis Petite as another shortie, also Vyella although I only had a few things from them they wore so well still have one in my wardrobe (Gilet) which is used constantly.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 10-Sep-20 12:35:27

I dread M&S going as I find their underwear second to none, as it is I try to make their stuff last as long as possible. Goodness knows how old some of my bras and pants are, so I suspect I should go into town and get some more.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 10-Sep-20 12:42:04

Another shortie that misses précis, I miss Laura Ashley for its homeware. GrandpaGravy thought I was single handedly trying to keep them going ??? I also miss the jewellery store Links of London which were handy for special gifts.

Susie42 Thu 10-Sep-20 14:53:52

Richards Shops, they were always good for jackets to wear for work. Although EWM sell CC I think they only bought the name as the current clothes are not like the original CC.

Juliet27 Thu 10-Sep-20 15:00:18

BHS

TwiceAsNice Fri 11-Sep-20 09:30:26

I liked BHS and Richards too. I’ve missed Woolworths for years you could get anything in there and I always bought the Christmas chocolate there.

I wish M&S was better than it is. Their T shirts used to be great but now they all have those horrible elbow length sleeves and I like a V neck not right up to the neck in summer. It might help if the shops still trading listened to customer feedback!

Teetime Fri 11-Sep-20 09:40:52

Astral soap - I loved that smell. Elvi was great when I was a larger size- nothing quite as smart as that around for larger sizes now. I wore Planet a lot for work and loved that but I think that went too.

Grannybags Fri 11-Sep-20 09:42:29

C&A

MummyJoJo62 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:49:13

Who wore Charlie perfume?

maytime2 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:52:54

Many of the names in British fashion including, Jaeger, Precis, Jacque Vert and Country Casuals have been bought by an entreprenneur by the name of Day. He also owns Edinburgh Woollen Mill and Peacocks.
All of these brands are available in a nearby town in S.W.Wales as he bought the local BHS store. It seems strange to me that Jaeger and Peacocks co-exist in the same store.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 09:54:10

I miss C&A and always make a beeline for it when we are in Berlin. Précis Petite and Kaliko were favourites of mine, as was Principles when I was working.

Corkie91 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:56:20

Well Laura died and her family sold it to a Malaysian company. It was bound to chance as it was nota family business anymore and Laura had the ideas

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Sep-20 10:10:17

I miss C&A, Woolworths and BHS.

rozina Fri 11-Sep-20 10:20:39

MawB,

I still buy Précis Petit in Debenhams, Hounslow

annifrance Fri 11-Sep-20 10:21:33

Dickens and Jones in Regent street! Part of my whole life until closed.

fluff Fri 11-Sep-20 10:23:07

I miss Gordon Thodays the fabric store, but they went a very long time ago now, there are very few dress fabric stores on the high street nowadays.

Grandyma Fri 11-Sep-20 10:24:09

I used to love Hammels, BHS, C&A & Woolworths. You can still find some Principals pieces in Debenhams.

BBbevan Fri 11-Sep-20 10:35:49

Express Dairy, lovely cream sponges.
MacFisheries.
Clements Department store ( Watford )
Shoon
Lyons Corner Houses

Bazza Fri 11-Sep-20 10:42:13

I miss East until it lost it’s way. Also Nivea talc. I’m sure there’s loads more that I can’t remember, so I guess I can’t miss them too much!

inishowen Fri 11-Sep-20 10:43:58

I thought we were losing Bon Marche but EWM took over. I always find their clothes fit well.

Granless Fri 11-Sep-20 10:50:58

Not clothes but I am finding it hard to find Kerrygold butter, something that I have always bought. ?