Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All this 'how to be stylish' advice.

(90 Posts)
ExD Wed 14-Oct-20 12:50:23

I do wish the models used in these programmes, articles, blogs on this subject were based more on 'real' people. The lovely tall, slender, examples of old age are nothing like most of us.
Where are the overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked examples that are representative of most of us?
Just a thought.

ExD Wed 14-Oct-20 12:56:08

Look on the thread - Transition to Grey Hair - the lady in the very first photo is lovely to start with.
She doesn't need help!

Calendargirl Wed 14-Oct-20 12:56:12

But we would have nothing to ‘aspire’ to, would we, if they used ‘real’ people?

Same with most actors, celebrities etc, if only we all looked like George Clooney(DH’s) or Helen Mirren (us).

Just not real life is it?

So we kid ourselves if we bought that dress, had that hairstyle, wore that make up, it too would be ‘us’.

Teetime Wed 14-Oct-20 13:55:56

I agree I dont look good in anything no matter how much I spend - too short, too fat, too old, round shouldered, have a definite list to starboard and a p****d off expression on my face because of all of the above (its not a good day).

SueDonim Wed 14-Oct-20 14:06:11

Well, in my head, I am always sylph-like and elegant, so I don’t want to see anything that bursts the bubble of my self-deception. grin

Riverwalk Wed 14-Oct-20 14:12:50

Where are the overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked examples that are representative of most of us?

Speak for yerself! wink

ExD Wed 14-Oct-20 14:14:52

Awww Teetime, I can see it's not been a good day for you!
Yes I suppose I was having a not so good day when I wrote this as well.
Maybe tomorrow will be better - people will start obeying the covid rules, wearing masks (properly), stop gathering in crowds, invading my space ............
I have no illusions that I'll transform into a silver haired, slim, toned elderly lady - but I'd love some tips on how to at least get onto the first step of achieving this goal smile

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 14:27:07

To be honest I am not remotely interested in 'how to be stylish'. I dress in clothes I like, feel comfortable in and I think look good on me.

I am not a sheep and most of these 'how to be stylish' riffs, including those on Gransnet are for sheeple who want to conform to what society thinks women of a given age ought to look like.

The models certainly do not look like a representative cross section of those over 60, but then that applies to all models from infant cuties to those suave older men.

*ExD, ignore all the adverts and advice, do your own thing in your own way and you will be more stylish because of it.
It is not what you wear but the confidence you ementate that most people notice.

MerylStreep Wed 14-Oct-20 14:55:27

ExD
I'm always told that I have style. But that might not be what you think is stylish. Could you give us an idea of who you think is stylish.?
I'm trying to find a picture that will link to give you an idea of my style.

glammanana Wed 14-Oct-20 15:13:34

I'm sure making an effort to look stylish will boost most peoples confidence and wellbeing,it doesn't have to be every day there are days when I wear just a simple pair of joggers and a sweatshirt if I am staying home but always have my hair tidy and a touch of foundation every day even on bad days,and there have been plenty of those during this past few months.

Jaxjacky Wed 14-Oct-20 15:24:53

‘Being stylish’ and I do not belong together it’s never been an aspiration. I’m clean and tidy, hair trimmed, rarely have I ever worn make up.
But for those who would like to, is there someone whose style you admire, a ‘real’ person you can take tips from?

rockgran Wed 14-Oct-20 16:05:23

I aim for clean and tidy - anything else is a bonus. grin

boheminan Wed 14-Oct-20 18:08:39

My name on here's a bit of a giveaway. I'm so unstylish, I'm coming back into fashion

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 19:16:08

Well, I have just had a look at the 'How to dress section' on GN and there wasn't a single garment they recommended or that they warned against that I would be seen dead in.

annodomini Wed 14-Oct-20 19:47:03

I represent 'Lockdown style': jogging pants; sweatshirt/tee-shirt or both; sneakers/trainers/ sandals (in the summer); stripey socks but not with sandals. Style? What style? I'm all for comfort so what am I going to do when'if things get back to normal?

Spangler Wed 14-Oct-20 20:35:19

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 14:27:07
To be honest I am not remotely interested in 'how to be stylish'.
That goes completely against the grain for me. I was born in the wrong era, Beau Brummel could have taken a leaf out of my book. Collar and tie, or bow tie, or cravat. Sports jackets and trousers, with turn ups, of course. Suits, I've got a wardrobe full, two tone shoes, Fair Isle socks and not a single piece of denim in sight. As my lovely lady so eloquently puts it: "One has standards, darling."

kittylester Wed 14-Oct-20 21:13:11

Well, i have met Teetime and dont recognise her description of herself!

MissAdventure Wed 14-Oct-20 21:20:59

Not too whiffy does for me, these days.

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 21:24:35

ExD your OP made me laugh, great descriptions.?

Spangler Wed 14-Oct-20 21:27:19

Teetime

I agree I dont look good in anything no matter how much I spend - too short, too fat, too old, round shouldered, have a definite list to starboard and a p****d off expression on my face because of all of the above (its not a good day).

The mirror tells lies, “Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone;
For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
But has trouble enough of its own.”
Ella Wheeler Wilcox, Poems of Passion

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 21:27:35

There is an ad on tv for mobilty aids which features the most elegant slim swan necked woman with silver hair in a trendy style and immaculate pale clothes, surrounded by her doting family as she tries out chairs, mobility scooters, beds, chair lifts etc.It always makes me smile, as she is so perfect!

NotTooOld Wed 14-Oct-20 22:03:15

Who wants to be stylish anyway? We should all wear what we like when we like, so long as we are clean and reasonably tidy. I think many of us will have changed our 'style' over the last six months anyway, I know I have. I haven't used a handbag or worn makeup or jewellery either.

Spangler - you sound like a very suave gent.

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 22:13:09

But we would have nothing to ‘aspire’ to, would we, if they used ‘real’ people

"Model is 5' 10" and wears a size 10"

I am never going to be 5' 10"!
I was one of the tallest girls in my class at 12, then stopped growing.

MerylStreep Wed 14-Oct-20 22:17:09

NotTooOld
who wants to be stylish anyway
The OP asked for some tips on how to at least get on the first step of achieving this goal
Some of us were trying to help her achieve this goal.

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 22:26:40

But you look your most stylish when wearing clothes you are happy and comfortable in, and have the confidence that goes with that. Stylish people are people who have confidence and emanate a sense of style. It rarely has anything to do with what they are wearing.

As for wanting something to aspire to, why should we? We should define our own aspirations and sheepish following other people doesn't count.