Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Side zips in trousers

(67 Posts)
Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 11:09:11

Why do women’s trousers have front zips? I find they accentuate the very bits you’re trying to hide - not that I’ve got a fat tummy of course! I’ve just had to throw out a fantastic pair of Gap trousers which DID have a side zip and they were one of the most flattering pairs I’ve ever had. Had them for years but they really were past it.

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 11:47:42

Well, they may not be flattering but you don't risk putting your back out when you zip them up!

sodapop Tue 24-Nov-20 12:36:37

Yes I find side zips awkward as well. Don't see them so much now probably in more expensive garments.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:39:56

At the risk of being unfashionable I always go for pull-ups as they are easier to cope with if you're in a lavatorial hurry.

biba70 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:40:06

Side zips are a total pain, for sure. Ok with skirts that you can twist around- but trousers, NO.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 24-Nov-20 12:42:50

I much prefer side zips in trousers, so much more flattering, agree they are generally in better cut garments, great finds in charity shops as lots of people don’t like them.

faringdon59 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:47:35

I love side zips in trousers.
As they give the impression of a flatter tum!
And my tum certainly needs that.
When you sit down front zips tend to bulge forward, however, because the trousers with size zips means the fabric is smooth across the tummy, you can stretch you jumper/tee shirt down more!! Ta Da!

Onthenaughtystep1 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:49:44

Anyone prepared to admit to liking elasticated waistbands. ?

Lexisgranny Tue 24-Nov-20 13:00:49

I entirely agree, front zips are not flattering, particularly when worn with a fine knit sweater. I prefer side zips, but the best fitting trousers I have ever had, were a cream pair in very fine wool from Wallis which had a zip at the back. I was much younger, and wouldn’t attempt that now. The other thing that annoys me is a false drawstring with metal bobbles on the end. Fine if you always tuck tops in, I don’t! Neither do I want to look as if I am wearing track suit bottoms if I am out and about.

grannysyb Tue 24-Nov-20 13:10:01

Always make my trousers with a side zip.

Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 13:11:48

Ah but think of the exercise!

Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 13:15:09

That was for you Callistemon. Haven’t quite got the hang of posting replies yet!
And yes I’ll admit to having elasticated waistband jersey trousers for lounging around

ElaineI Tue 24-Nov-20 13:15:18

I hate side zips. Way too difficult to pull up. I must admit I don't think about what my jeans look like and rarely go out anywhere I need to dress up.

Gwyneth Tue 24-Nov-20 14:01:54

I find side zips on trousers and dresses very awkward to avoid them.

Gwyneth Tue 24-Nov-20 14:02:44

So avoid them

BlueBelle Tue 24-Nov-20 14:11:46

I haven’t had anything with a side zip for dozens of years in fact can’t remember the last time so for me front zips just feel totally normal

petra Tue 24-Nov-20 14:12:08

It's one of the reasons I make my own trousers.
Wallis trousers are the best fit for me. That's where I got my trouser pattern from.
I had some gardening trousers made by Wallace and they fitted perfectly. I took them apart and hey presto, perfect pattern.

Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 14:26:58

Petra - why didn’t I think of that. Brilliant! But too late now...

DillytheGardener Tue 24-Nov-20 14:30:01

Side zips are hell for muffin tops. I’ve accidentally zipped my flesh because I couldn’t see what I was zipping.... hmm

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:19:10

biba70

Side zips are a total pain, for sure. Ok with skirts that you can twist around- but trousers, NO.

Yes, I was imaging that and how it would work
grin

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:20:07

Imagining, not imaging

?

Doodledog Tue 24-Nov-20 15:21:17

I agree that side zips are a lot more flattering, but also that they are difficult to do up unless you have a flat stomach and no flab. Those days are long gone for me, unfortunately.

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:21:48

Dotty123

Ah but think of the exercise!

?

Twist and Shout Ouch

Lucca Tue 24-Nov-20 15:23:12

Onthenaughtystep1

Anyone prepared to admit to liking elasticated waistbands. ?

Currently yes! And as I always but always have a top which comes down well below waist (waist? What waist?) level nobody need know I’m wearing what is known nowadays as “relaxed tailoring”.

Jayt Tue 24-Nov-20 22:15:01

I gave up on side zips when I couldn't get at them without a struggle. Front zip easy. Better still, harem pants - no zip!