Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ear-rings and masks

(27 Posts)
ExD Thu 26-Nov-20 10:20:28

I lost a nice earring and am blaming my own carelessness when removing my facemask, so I thought I'd hunt out the sleepers I'd been given years ago when I first got the piercings done. I couldn't find them so looked on Amazon and purchased a pair. The flimsy little things were difficult to insert and impossible to close and i ended up breaking one.
What size should I be looking for? How much should I expect to pay? How do you close them? (the ones I got seemed to have one thin edge that slipped inside a hollow on the other edge, very tricky with arthritic fingers. I expected a kind of hook.
I don't want the holes to close up.

Ilovecheese Thu 26-Nov-20 10:25:24

I lost an earing with a hook when removing my mask so I don't think hooks are the answer. I am either trying to remember to remove my earings before I go out, or wearing easily removed ones I can pull out and put in my pocket when I realise I am wearing them.

MiniMoon Thu 26-Nov-20 10:31:28

You can buy sleeper earrings all over the place. They seem to be priced according to size and width.
I have never had hoop earrings of any sort, I prefer studs or lever backs. I do have some of the hook type, but bought little silicone butterflies/stoppers to keep them from sliding out.
I never wear then during the night as they are too uncomfortable.

Davida1968 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:36:50

The first time I wore a mask, I lost an earring, so now I don't wear them at all, when going out. As I have pierced ears, I make an effort to wear earrings whenever I have a day at home, in order to keep the holes open. This seems to be working out OK for me. (I don't think I'd manage well with "sleepers" - I am a restless sleeper myself!)

geekesse Thu 26-Nov-20 10:39:30

I use pull-throughs, and they don’t seem to be affected by putting my mask on and taking it off.

jaylucy Thu 26-Nov-20 10:49:20

Either buy some Lox that are secure earring backs or I have found that the plastic / or rubber butterfly backs are ok and keep your earrings from moving. You can get various sizes and they fit most earrings. Both available from Amazon
I use the rubbery ones even on hooked earrings as I have sound that they will often tip forward and slide out without them, especially if they have a stone in them.

Trisha57 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:24:24

You can get hinged sleepers from jewellers, ExD but they are still quite fiddly to get in and closed. How about a very small pair of Creole style earrings, where the post clips into a u-shaped bit at the back. Like these: charlesfish.co.uk/products/achara-2mm-small-creole-gold-hoop-earrings?variant=31391205425199&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETy3TM0JoiXNAssrcQKcsToKG5XBYue1YLXC3dxYFARo4CCbuSjTyHEaAtD6EALw_wcB

Calendargirl Thu 26-Nov-20 12:52:38

When I had my ears pierced, about 50+ years ago, sleepers were put in. A wise auntie told me to dab my ears with white iodine to stop them getting infected, and worked well.
Had a second set of piercings done about 30 years ago, and always wear sleepers of different sizes in my ears.
However, the original sleepers eventually broke, and the more modern ones are not a patch on the old ones, much harder to fasten, difficult to get them to clip together. The first ones fastened easily.
Progress!

fevertree Thu 26-Nov-20 17:20:33

Earrings and masks just don't mix! I've stopped wearing earrings altogether, too much faff for me. I'd be halfway out the house before I realised I still had my earrings in, and the mask in my pocket, or the reverse would happen, the earrings would be out but the mask would be on the table waiting to be put in the pocket!

I'm scatterbrained so I have to keep it simple.

Pantglas2 Thu 26-Nov-20 17:51:40

I’m being ultra careful taking the mask off the couple of times a week I go out shopping/dining so that I don’t dislodge my studs.

Also watching DH like a hawk when he removes his mask ? as he’s just had extortionate expensive hearing aids fitted - I think I’d divorce murder him if he was careless enough to lose them!

grannyrebel7 Thu 26-Nov-20 18:30:34

I've lost an earring recently probably due to my mask. Soooooo annoying as I really liked that particular pair. I also had one that went straight down the plug hole in the shower. I'm always unlucky with earrings.

J52 Thu 26-Nov-20 18:34:22

Why did I think it was only me! I’ve had the same earring problem. The only answer is not to wear them. The last thing we need is to lose a favourite earring life’s grim enough.

Lucca Thu 26-Nov-20 18:41:05

I never go anywhere without earrings.
I don’t find the mask thing a problem though, sorry.

Luckylegs Thu 26-Nov-20 19:05:40

I had my ears pierced 55ish years ago and, for most of that time, have not had earrings in. My ‘holes’ have never healed up. If I wear heavy earrings for a few days together, my ears feel a little sore but they soon recover.

Luckygirl Thu 26-Nov-20 19:33:10

You should see my hearing aids flying across the room when I take a mask off - every time! You would think I would remember to be careful wouldn't you?

Callistemon Thu 26-Nov-20 20:07:39

I posted the other day about wearing sleepers because I felt that the holes could be closing up when I tried to put in earrings.

I have two pairs, which DD bought me. They are very neat, fit snugly under the earlobe and clip firmly into place, can be left in overnight, unlike the rings.
Shaped like these but you'd have to check the size:
www.jewellerybox.co.uk/product/JSK-547/9ct-Gold-Half-Twisted-13mm-Hinged-Huggie-Hoops.html

Other makes are available (mine are from Australia, sorry).

rafichagran Thu 26-Nov-20 21:58:43

I lost a earing due to the masks as well.

biba70 Thu 26-Nov-20 22:15:31

same here, 2- from my two favourite pairs of silver earrings. Like J52, stopped wearing them now for the duration.

aggie Thu 26-Nov-20 22:26:51

My DD laughs at my antics retrieving my expensive hearing aids , how on earth do they get so tangled up with the mask !

mrsmopp Thu 26-Nov-20 23:25:53

Not just ear rings, I wear two hearings aids and they get mixed up with the mask too. If I need to wear my specs as well I get into a terrible tangle. I’m scared I will drop them and they will be very expensive to replace.grrrr!

Grandmama Sat 12-Dec-20 18:38:23

I too lost an ear-ring - it was an open loop and had caught several times on my face mask.

Masks have to be worn at church. Readers have to wear disposable gloves so that means I have to synchronise putting on gloves/taking off mask to read/putting on specs and hoping my hearing aids don't go flying off. And this is live-streamed to YouTube!!!

lemongrove Sat 12-Dec-20 18:42:25

I take earrings off before going out if I will be wearing a mask.
Sorry OP I have no idea about sleepers, having never worn them.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Dec-20 19:09:55

I looooove my earrings of all variety I ve never lost them through my mask I do however always nip the ends in tight even without masks and often wear backings even with hook overs I can’t go out without my earrings on

Casdon Sat 12-Dec-20 19:14:16

I’ve got ones very similar to those callistemon has, but mine are rose,yellow and white gold twisted together - I don’t need to take them off as the clip which fastens them into a circle is very strong, must admit I’ve never once caught them in a mask - I would be very upset if I lost one, as my best friend, who is no longer with us gave me them.

bikergran Sat 12-Dec-20 19:16:06

Well one of my earings is somewhere on the Season Isle in Asda! amongst the Mags hmm.

It flung off a few weeks ago whilst messing with the loop on my mask.

So if you happen to buy a magazine and find what you think is a free gift, could you please take it to customer services smile I have a matching one !