Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Slippy hair. Up-do ideas? Something to give it body?

(19 Posts)
Genevieve489 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:26:25

My hair is long - to the middle of my back - quite thick, silver underneath and at the sides, a russet colour on the top, which is my natural colour. I've been trying to put it up in various way and bought some chignon pins last week. But the pins just slide out of my hair. I always condition it and use a hair serum as well, so this may be the reason. Can anybody suggest a mousse or spray that would give it the body I need to use chignon pins or to attempt another kind of up-do?

By the way, other ideas for an up-do would also be welcome. I have arthritis in my hands, so it needs to be fairly simple. At the moment I have it tied back in a loose pony tail. Thanks in advance.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:30:57

I have a high pony tail and then twist it up and around and use hair grips into a kind of loose bun.

My hair is thick, but I don’t use any products other than shampoo and conditioner, maybe it is the Serum, Have you googled it, Maybe others have the same problem?

P1234 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:10:50

I was told by a hairdresser to use dry shampoo to keep hair up and pins in. I never tried it though so sorry if not helpful

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Jan-21 16:31:19

When my hair was longer, the less I washed it, the easier it stayed up, I washed it on average once a week, using a little conditioner, after a couple of days it stayed up. I’d say less product, not more.

Genevieve489 Sat 16-Jan-21 21:55:10

Thank you all for your replies. I'll have to try the dry shampoo, that makes sense. It's probably the same as not putting my hair up the day I wash it.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 21:59:13

One of the batiste (the best brand) ones is specifically to make hair look thicker.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 22:11:51

youtu.be/5F_dglZFboI

merlotgran Sat 16-Jan-21 22:16:24

Dry shampoo is very good for giving hair body without making it slippery.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:18:01

I put my hair up whilst it is still wet, no problems.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 22:26:31

youtu.be/5F_dglZFboI

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 22:27:02

Oooops!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:34:06

Yep just like that!

Well TBH not quite like that........

Missfoodlove Tue 19-Jan-21 13:42:22

Back combing is the only way freshly washed hair will stay up.

SuzannahM Tue 19-Jan-21 13:55:07

Most people seem to use dry shampoo - on YouTube at least. I watch lots of You Tube videos to get ideas, my hair is about the same length as yours. Pins don't stay in my hair either but there are some nifty things around now for putting your hair up. I'm trying to get hold of one of those long rubbery strips that have a slit down the middle - you put your hair length through the slit and just roll it up and clip it into a bun or chignon. I've also learnt to plait scarves into my hair which looks pretty and keeps it out of your face. You have to watch a lot of videos though to find ones that don't require a hairdresser standing behind you.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Jan-21 13:57:25

My hairdresser said I have to stop washing my hair every day if I want it to stay up!
She's right. Day 2 or 3 (if I can bear it) and I can do it!

She says any mousse will do if you want more lift but scrunch it in. I have learned to do it that way. Be bold. You can do it too!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 19-Jan-21 18:51:23

Every day!! Crikey.

Shinamae Tue 19-Jan-21 18:54:18

Twice a week the maximum I wash my hair and if I can get away with once a week I will.......

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Jan-21 23:36:39

Ha ha! It's long but easy and every day means I need almost nothing by way of shampoo!

Blossoming Thu 21-Jan-21 22:29:45

I use Small Talk Thickifier. Just a couple of drops on the palm of my hands, then scrunch it through my hair.