Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Lockdown skincare

(35 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 21-Jan-21 22:38:06

My complexion is looking less than radiant thanks to winter and lockdown. Any recommendations for a skincare regime to regain some glow?

Esspee Thu 21-Jan-21 22:48:22

Exfoliation to bring up fresh new skin, drink lots of water, eat healthily, and get exercise in the fresh air.

Mollygo Thu 21-Jan-21 22:51:29

Just what Esspee says plus regular moisturiser or serum or argon oil or whatever you use to help your skin not to dry out in the bitter cold and the central heating dryness.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jan-21 03:33:03

A while ago I bought and used some L'Oréal Rosy Glow (as advertised by Jane Fonda, it was originally advertised by Helen Mirren).
It says that it's for 'very mature skin'.
Anyway, I got on with it really well, it's very rich and it really does give you a nice bit of radiance.

NotAGran55 Fri 22-Jan-21 08:32:01

A light dusting of Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light .
I was very sceptical about the rave reviews until I tried it.

The travel size was included in a beauty Advent calendar this year and unwanted ones were offloaded on eBay . I got it at a bargain price .

BigBertha1 Fri 22-Jan-21 08:40:49

All the above plus you could put a few drops of instant tan into your moisturiser I have a Clarins one for that purpose but its is just fake tan. Otherwise after the skincare regime a little bronzer perhaps. I know what you mean I have prison pallor too but at least I'm not getting windburn on the golf course - every cloud. smile

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-21 09:57:15

I’d second the L’Oreal Rosy Glow. I’ve been using different moisturisers for a few months and hadn’t realised how dull my complexion had got without it until I came across a part-used tub. After just a couple of days I can see a real difference.

I’d agree as well with using an oil to counteract the effects of so much central heating. My favourites are Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse and Beauty Pie’s Plantastic, but even the Poundshop one makes a difference.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 10:19:58

I seem to have developed some sort of ‘dandruff’ in my eyebrows and eyelid, I think it may be something other than dandruff. I only ever use nivea on my face, it’s quite annoying!

Blossoming Fri 22-Jan-21 11:13:42

Thank you for all the suggestions, Rosy Glow sounds promising ?

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-21 12:29:00

I’ve just spotted that it’s buy one, get one free on Superdrug’s website. I’m stocking up! smile

Graso Fri 22-Jan-21 13:37:31

Re: Rosy Glow - which products exactly do you all use?

I’ve just looked at the l’Oreal website only to be confronted by a confusing array of ‘golden age’ and ‘cell renew’ products so I don’t know where to begin!

Many thanks in advance for any advice/further information.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jan-21 14:59:33

Graso the full title is -deep breath-
L'Oréal Age Perfect Golden Age Rosy Glow Day Cream !!

Graso Fri 22-Jan-21 16:35:59

FannyCornforth

Graso the full title is -deep breath-
L'Oréal Age Perfect Golden Age Rosy Glow Day Cream !!

Well that narrows it down nicely!

Thank you

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-21 17:01:19

I've ordered two of the - deep breath - L'Oreal Paris Age Perfect Golden Age Night Cream as well, also buy-one-get-one-free at Superdrug at the moment.

I've only ever used the day cream before, but the reviews seem positive, and the price is right. grin

Blossoming Sat 23-Jan-21 02:24:42

Thanks for the tip Maggie, I’ve ordered 1 of each and only paid for 1 item ?

growstuff Sat 23-Jan-21 03:03:03

I'd endorse the L'Oreal products for mature skin. They're often on special offer at Tesco, so not too expensive. I've always had quite greasy skin, which means I'm reaping the benefit as I get older, but many skin creams in the past have left a cloying residue, which L'Oreal products don't. I use Rosy Glow for my online teaching. It gives my face a slightly brighter and more glowing appearance without even having to use other foundation etc.

FannyCornforth Sat 23-Jan-21 06:43:37

The Rosy Glow range is currently half price on Amazon (around £7.50).
I've just bought the day cream and the night cream on my own recommendation!

NotAGran55 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:26:01

FannyCornforth I can only find the tinted version on Amazon at that price . Is this the one that you are referring to please ?

Lilypops Sat 23-Jan-21 08:43:06

I recently started using a Vitamin C serum on my face, as it was recommended in a lot of beauty magazines, I have noticed a brighter look to my skin , I also use the ,,,,Deep breath. , L,oreal rosy glow cream after the Vit C cream ,
As a moisturiser I use Boots Hyaluronic acid morning and night.it all seems to be working , my skin looks good , but of a faff I know but not much else to do during lockdown days ,

FannyCornforth Sat 23-Jan-21 08:58:19

NotaGran the whole Rosy Glow range is sort of tinted, but not in a foundation sense. More subtle than that.
Yes, I think that it's the same one.

Newquay Sat 23-Jan-21 08:59:18

Ha Jacky-il have dandruff of the eyebrows too!!

NotAGran55 Sat 23-Jan-21 09:10:47

Thank you FC . The tinted one gets some dodgy reviews about it being orange ? . Think I will try the non-tinted one the next time we are allowed out!

FannyCornforth Sat 23-Jan-21 09:18:13

It's not orange - it does look a tad alarming in the pot, but it really does look nice and subtle on. I'm extremely pasty fair, but it's not too noticeable on me.

Casdon Sat 23-Jan-21 09:21:52

I think it looks orange if you have drier skin and use it as your only moisturiser, as you put too much on so it absorbs more into your skin. I use another moisturiser first, so it sits more on top then it doesn’t look orange, it looks nice and subtle as Fanny says.

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Jan-21 12:49:29

Perhaps it’s because I always use an oil or serum first then, but I’ve never turned orange!

I did once buy a Superdrug charcoal moisturiser that I had to return. A few days of that and I looked as though I’d worked with my dad at the coal face.