Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cashmere ..Pure Collection Quality

(21 Posts)
Cathymac Wed 24-Feb-21 20:37:53

Has anyone bought cashmere from the Pure Collection recently. ? I have a couple of lovely jumpers from about 4 years ago but I believe that Woolovers has taken over the company and just wondered about the quality now . Also any experience of Woolovers cashmere? Thanks

FannyCornforth Wed 24-Feb-21 20:45:42

Is Woollovers the Gransnet equivalent of Mumsnet's Hush?
Sooo many threads...

Doodledog Wed 24-Feb-21 20:51:47

Woolevers jumpers are too short, IMO (and I am not long-bodied). I don't have cashmere from them, as I knit my own, but I have old jumpers from Pure Collection, and they have worn well. I think it is a pity if they have sold to Woolovers.

Cathymac Wed 24-Feb-21 20:57:46

Thank you Doodledog. I am quite tall so maybe Woolovers is not for me

Sarah48 Wed 24-Feb-21 21:33:30

Just bought a long Woolovers cardigan (cashmere and merino) and it seems lovely. Certainly very soft and warm. Had a discount code which made it cheaper. RDT48

Doodledog Wed 24-Feb-21 21:40:12

I saw that cardigan, Sarah, and it does look lovely smile. It is the sweaters that I find too short. A lot depends on how people like to wear them, and what they pair them with, but I find they can look frumpy and as though the company has skimped on the yarn.

Cathymac Wed 24-Feb-21 21:47:55

Thanks Sarah .. that does look lovely !

Missfoodlove Wed 24-Feb-21 22:31:23

I bought one two years ago from pure, it is inferior quality.
The nicest cashmere I’ve purchased is from a company called Wrap.

Nicegranny Wed 24-Feb-21 23:06:02

That’s really good Sarah ! We all need something to look forward too and I sure get excited about cashmere ( l think your already know this ?).
I have a few pieces from Pure Collection and it gets my vote for the softest and best l have. Hush is beautiful also I have two pieces that are as soft as kittens.
I’m sure there’s many other brand’s but I don’t have that kind of money to pay hundreds for it.
I have a very fine little pullover I like wearing to bed is made by pure. It’s my favourite.
I have my two of my daughter’s maternity long cashmere sweater’s from Peal. I’m not really sure of its origins but I don’t care as l love wearing them with leggings. Of course I don’t look lovely in them like she did but I can fill them out ?.

CanadianGran Thu 25-Feb-21 07:23:34

Have never owned cashmere. I know you pay for quality, and it will last forever, but I just can't bring myself to pay that much for one sweater.

Perhaps gloves or a hat though!

Hetty58 Thu 25-Feb-21 07:28:15

www.peta.org/living/personal-care-fashion/cashmere-mohair-goat-facts/#:~:text=Goats%20have%20little%20fat%20on,can%20die%20of%20cold%20stress.

nightowl Thu 25-Feb-21 07:58:17

Sadly Hetty people really don’t care.

I asked Woolovers about the source of their merino and whether it came from non-mulesed sheep, their reply was

Unfortunately, we have never had the resource to be able to go that deep into checking out the farmers ourselves, but all the yarns we use come from reputable and widely used mills in the industry who have their own policy regarding animal welfare.

I’m not impressed by a company with no animal welfare policy, particularly now that so many companies, designers and even High Street brands such as Fat Face and Next are taking the issues seriously. If Woolovers can’t be bothered to look into the provenance of their products then they don’t deserve to be taken seriously in my book.

Doodledog Thu 25-Feb-21 23:19:11

Sadly, Hetty, people really don't care

Something of a generalisation, nightowl. You may be right that Woolovers can't guarantee the provenance of their fibres, but that doesn't mean that nobody who wears cashmere is concerned about the goats.

Here is a list of 5 goat-friendly cashmere garment suppliers and there are others. PETA is not known for being impartial!

1. Cocoonu – sources from Outer Mongolia.

2. Johnstons of Elgin – has joined the Campaign for Wool, which supports the "universal sustainability" of wool.

3. Izzy Lane – sources from goats "lovingly cared for in the Scottish Borders".

4. Crumpet – sources from small, free-range farms in Asia, then hand-knits in England.

5. Brora – sources from community collectives in Inner Mongolia, then mills in Scotland.

Or you can do as I do, and knit your own.

MayBee70 Thu 25-Feb-21 23:26:01

Cashmere makes me itch. Or the moths get it before I get to wear it. And when I have worn it I end up shrinking it. I have had bad experiences with cashmere.

Doodledog Thu 25-Feb-21 23:30:37

I haven't had shrinkage problems, but yes, moths love the stuff sad

DillytheGardener Thu 25-Feb-21 23:35:16

I’m just packing away all my cashmere, washing it, then freezing it, then put them into cloth tote bags with lavender sachets. I take them out and re-freeze them every few months to break the egg laying cycles. No holes!

Hetty58 Fri 26-Feb-21 01:33:19

All wool makes me itch anyway (had awful rashes as a child) as it has tiny sharp hooks in it's structure. As a vegan, I see no necessity to buy or wear animal fibres.

So much is removed and anonymous now (or taken on faith) that I'm not reassured by 'kindness' or 'ethical' claims - or greenwashing generally. If I could see the animals (e.g. the Llamas in a field next door) being cared for and clipped kindly, then maybe I'd think differently.

nightowl, I agree, many people really don't care!

Nicegranny Sat 27-Feb-21 07:20:19

Can l just say that my daughter recently started a small business in cashmere and has sourced it’s origins and methods.
I had tackled her on this with exactly the same link that Hetty58 posted and I was assured that her skeins that she sends to a small factory are from sustainable welfare.
Knowing what an animal lover she is l am proud to say she has sourced everything down to the finest details to ensure the good welfare of the animals in question.
We do care.

Nicegranny Sat 27-Feb-21 07:28:14

Missfoodlove l have the gassatto fine cashmere from Pure. I would agree that their cheaper line isn’t great.

Cathymac Sat 27-Feb-21 17:53:05

Doddledog . Where do you buy your wool , please?

midgey Sat 27-Feb-21 18:15:22

Dilly think you are being a bit previous weather wise!