Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Layered Short Hair During Lockdown

(33 Posts)
SueSocks Wed 03-Mar-21 11:11:13

I have very thick short layered hair, if I go beyond my usual 6 week cut it gets very unruly and uncontrollable. I had my hair cut on 17th Dec before lockdown. The earliest I can get another cut will be the end of April. I cut my fringe myself, but I cannot cut the rest. Any thoughts of how to keep it under control? Blow drying won't help as the layers are too long and heavy. Would a hair band be any use? Any other ideas? I know in the overall scheme of things at the moment this isn't a massive problem, but any suggestions would be appreciated, I am not prepared to have a go at cutting it!

midgey Wed 03-Mar-21 11:30:07

My hair is fine but layered.....I look demented! I think the only hope is a hat....

Nellie098 Wed 03-Mar-21 11:38:33

Like you my hair is thick and layered and I need a haircut about every 5 weeks but in these past months I have had a go at cutting the ends and it looks o.k. If you don't want to cut but want to loose the bulk then try some thinning scissors like used at the hairdresser. Don't go too mad but a little trial and error and you will find your hair easier to manage. I wouldn't be without mine which I bought off the internet some years ago.

Casdon Wed 03-Mar-21 13:07:31

I’m in the same boat SueSocks, I’ve cut my own fringe, but the rest of my hair is literally all over the place at the moment, with curls appearing in very awkward places, I’ve got one just above one of my ears that just won’t go straight to cover my ear, it looks ridiculous. I the only thing I’ve found that makes it look a bit better is Umberto Giannini Weaterproof Curls finishing cream, which keeps it more under control.

Casdon Wed 03-Mar-21 13:07:58

Weatherproof not Weaterproof!

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Mar-21 14:02:17

SueSocks I’m the same as you, short, thick hair it looks really messy, but I don’t really care, I just wash, condition and dry off with a towel. It goes wavier after washing, I don’t even comb it, normal for me.

Atqui Wed 03-Mar-21 14:07:30

Wish Imhad thick hair?

glammanana Wed 03-Mar-21 14:10:10

John Frieda is good for taming flyaway hair in the short term.

glammanana Wed 03-Mar-21 14:11:09

Sorry the product is called Frizz Ease x

seacliff Wed 03-Mar-21 14:28:00

My hair is below chin length, very thick and layered. I bought some thinning scissors but am a bit scared of how to use them, might well make it worse. I have been clipping a bit up at each side with a little comb, to give it some shape other than wild shaggy bush.

OurKid1 Wed 03-Mar-21 14:39:34

Mine is also thick and layered. I've done the fringe, a very little at the time, but the back and sides make me look like the love-child of Boris and Camilla P-B! I don't think I'm brave enough to try thinning scissors, though I may, depending on when I can get an appointment. I actually postponed my before Christmas one because "it doesn't need doing." Silly me, so looks as if I'll have gone 6 or 7 months without a decent cut. Oh dear.

ExD Wed 03-Mar-21 14:51:41

I missed out in the first lockdown and my short layered hair grew long and unkempt. I wasn't quick enough off the mark when we were finally able to get appointments and by the time did see a hairdresser it was beginning to look OK long, and I could tie it back into a tiny weeny pony tail.
I wish I'd left it now, instead of getting it cut short again, and cultivated the long haired old lady look, it might have looked quite unusual by now!
I think all we can do is wait - we would look out of place with coiffured locks at the moment. Don't worry.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 03-Mar-21 14:56:38

I was the same as you ExD mine is now shoulder length and can hold it back by clipping the sides back. I am beginning to quite like it now and maybe I will keep it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 03-Mar-21 15:38:28

My hair is what you'd call a pixie cut - short and layered which needs regular trims to keep on top of it. I let it go after the last lock down but it got so awful I just had to cut it - all over.

No matter how awful the result it will grow again.

Santana Fri 12-Mar-21 07:20:24

I gave up with my overgrown hair yesterday and asked OH to get out his clippers. Having tried various products and hair slides, I was looking like a Fraggle, or worse still Zelda in Terrahawks.
Not quite the salon experience I'm used to. Daisy doesn't tell me to keep my head still, or step on my toe, and no coffee with a bickie.
Result is quite good though, and head not too sore after being clunked with clippers.
Glad the dentists are open though.

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Mar-21 07:28:59

I had short layered hair, also thick and unruly as it grows. The layers are down past my ears now.
I thought I’d experiment with drying it completely with a blow dryer, then using hair straighteners over it. I hadn’t done it before - they were old straighteners my DD left here.
It worked very well and made my hair smooth, calm (lost the Boris look) and shiny. It will do for now.

Bicycle1 Fri 12-Mar-21 08:32:06

Buy a pair of thinning scissors , my hair was like a birds nest , daughter watched you tube video , not perfect but definitely much better

hospitablending Sun 14-Mar-21 10:33:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Erica23 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:46:21

Yeah I look like wurzel gumidge too. I’ve cut my fringe, but what to do about the bits sticking out over the ears! I’ve been putting lots of spray in styling jel on,then drying it with the hot brush seems to lift it a bit making it shorter. Roll on April.

Rowsie Sun 14-Mar-21 10:59:07

I have similar hair to what you describe and last lockdown I went through a number of phases..the Donald Trump look, the Bernie Ecclestone look!! None of them were flattering! This lockdown I couldn't stand going through that again so I bought a pair of proper hairstyling scissors and after I have washed my hair and styled it I chop off and bits that are sticking up! It doesn't look great but much better than last time. I have an appointment for April 12th and am so looking forward to that!

BigBertha1 Sun 14-Mar-21 11:03:37

You sound a bit like me suesocks whatever you do dont cut it yourself. I have learning to wield the straighteners to try to bring some order.

daffi Sun 14-Mar-21 12:13:02

i want my thick hair back. At least its long so I can put it up. My bangs are tip of the nose length, so they're always in my eyes. I want to grow them out and I look terrible with them bobby-pinned

JanSam Sun 14-Mar-21 13:34:45

I’m the same with a neatly trimmed short haircut that needs doing every 5 weeks. I’m just about managing with trimming my fringe and using the straighteners to curl the back up for a flicked effect. What I cannot stand however is the grey and dark roots I have developed! It’s making me feel ancient. I used a colour the first lockdown but I decided to go au naturel this time to see if I had the potential of some lovely glamorous all over silver/white locks that I envy many women but sadly it’s more the salt and pepper dirty grey - not a good look. I’ve managed to book an appointment on 12th April and can’t bloody wait!

Coolgran65 Sun 14-Mar-21 13:47:50

I am also a short style with thick hair. Can manage the front and sides not too badly. Just never try to cut a straight line. I think the secret is to have a shaggy tousled look. Last year my hairdresser gave me a pair of her old thinning scissors. I just wield them where it’s got a thick lumpy bit. Blow dry using fingers. Tidy a little with straighteners and spray while running fingers through the hair pulling it into some sort of shape . Starting to look a bit of a long mullet at the back though.

Esspee Sun 14-Mar-21 13:49:05

My lovely hairdresser has offered, if I am desperate, to have me visit him for a haircut in the garden. Love him to bits for his offer but I am going to wait until the salon officially opens.