Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Should I buy a linen dress or will it shrink in the wash?

(27 Posts)
NotTooOld Sat 06-Mar-21 11:25:16

I've been looking at linen dresses on the Woolovers site and I really like them. I know they crease and that doesn't bother me too much but I would like to know if they shrink in the wash. The blurb says they are machine washable and to follow instructions on the label but it doesn't say what those instructions are. Anyone tried it, please?

Grandmafrench Sat 06-Mar-21 11:35:12

I love linen and don't worry about the unmade bed look with all the creases. It's just such a comfortable fabric to wear and, I think, easy to maintain.

I usually wash linen items together, at 30 degrees and try not to spin for too long. Since I live in a hot climate, I always line dry because I worry about creases being dried into the fabric which makes ironing more difficult. If I'm forced to dry indoors, I never tumble dry linen for the same reason.

Steam ironing on the wrong side normally gives an immaculate finish - shame it only lasts for a few minutes once the clothes are worn! ?

Grandmafrench Sat 06-Mar-21 11:36:10

Wonder why I never answered your question? Idiot!
I've never had a linen dress shrink - but only ever wash at 30 degrees.

Peasblossom Sat 06-Mar-21 11:38:56

I’ve never had one shrink either. They are mostly Italian if that makes any difference?

NotTooOld Sat 06-Mar-21 11:39:14

Thanks, Grandmafrench. That's very reassuring.

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:41:06

I love the feel of linen and the look of it on tall, slim, elegant women. Unfortunately I am none of these and when I bought and wore a linen dress I just looked a bit bag lady.
However, getting back to your question, it did wash well, at 30 degrees, I hung it up to dry, and ironed when nearly dry. It didn’t shrink and is so cool and comfortable. Just not elegant on me!

Urmstongran Sat 06-Mar-21 11:42:56

I’ve never had one shrink either. I love the fabric and don’t care about the creased look. A very short spin, hanging carefully to dry and I don’t even bother ironing!
#lazygran
?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:48:58

I’ve had linen dresses for years and they are still in excellent condition. I wash at 40c usually and iron when damp

Sara1954 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:56:55

Same here, I’ve never had a linen item shrink, and I quite like the creased look.

J52 Sat 06-Mar-21 12:04:25

It’s my go to summer fabric and have never had anything shrink. As others have said wash at 40 or 30 depending what the label says. Although I have washed Dry Clean only items at the cooler temperature. Linen thread does tighten after washing, but generally relaxes after ironing and wearing, so it might appear tighter after laundering.
To aid ironing and reduce creasing I use spray starch.

Visgir1 Sat 06-Mar-21 12:21:54

Same as J52,
Love linen and I spray starch all linen.
Not a problem, well worth the investment. If your still not sure buy your normal size and the next one up what has the best fit and wriggle room, in case of shrinkage.
You won't regret the purchase.

grannysyb Sat 06-Mar-21 13:02:09

Fabric should have been washed prior to manufacture. I always wash the fabric before I make it up.

NotTooOld Sat 06-Mar-21 14:27:54

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I just wish Woolovers operated a free returns policy then I would send for two in different sizes!

Whingingmom Sat 06-Mar-21 14:49:59

I bought M&S linen shorts last year and after 30 seconds of wear looked like I was wearing a concertina.

Aldom Sat 06-Mar-21 15:00:37

Last summer I bought several beautiful linen dresses from Marks and Spencer They do not crease, wash well at low temperature with no shrinkage. Some have not even needed ironing. Marks and Spencer are offering free delivery and returns now. Highly recommend.

silverlining48 Sat 06-Mar-21 15:29:34

I like linen too and have never had shrinking, just me sometimes expanding a bit...italian linen sizing is really tiny so take care.
There are linen mixes which are probably easier on the creasing front. Next always do a popular range. Here comes summer....

Kim19 Sat 06-Mar-21 15:33:03

If you're prepared to look like a crumpled heap but feel the joy on your skin, then go for it. I've never had any shrinkage problems but sadly, the mirrors eventually won the day.

welbeck Sat 06-Mar-21 15:35:50

what is spray starch used for, is it something to do with ironing? in which case i won't bother, as i don't iron.

MagicWand Sun 07-Mar-21 21:02:00

I always avoided buying linen clothes as my mother told me I would be a slave to them! However, I am now a linen convert. I don’t buy trousers as I find I haven’t slim enough thighs for them to not rub through in a couple of seasons. But I buy dresses, skirts, tops and shirts. I wash them at 30°, line dry them on hangers and make sure I give the material a gentle pull to get out the creases before they are fully dry. I never iron!

When I go on holiday I pack my linen rolled and take an empty squirty bottle which I fill with water. I hang the clothes on hangers when I get to my destination, give them a good misting and do the whole gentle pulling stretch thing so that they are crease free. Its also works well to get rid of creases after a day’s wear if I can get another day out of them.

I am, as you can tell, a real linen fan now. I have found the best make of linen is called Flax. Their styling and weight of linen is superior togg any others I have found. I still buy the others though!!

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Mar-21 00:15:44

I wear linen dresses or tunics all year round, almost every day. I layer it in winter with jumpers and long sleeved t shirts, leggings, skirts and jeans. I don't think any have ever shrunk - but as others have said, it is stiffer (briefly) after a wash. It steams loose again though if you want to steam it.

A lot of garments I spin at no more than 1200 and pull firmly into shape. I try to dry them as flat as possible so they dry like that. All my linen is loose and unlined.

I love linen! I hope you will do too.

Niochorio Tue 09-Mar-21 10:42:17

I love linen clothing and they are part of my spring and summer essentials in my home in Crete. Next do a fantastic range of dresses, trousers and summer tops in linen and at reasonable prices. I particularly love the linen shift style dresses which are so pretty and comfortable to wear. Always washed at 30c and line dried and I have never had any issues with shrinkage

aggie Tue 09-Mar-21 10:53:35

Why do my linen garments stretch ? I had a nice smart aubergine linen trouser suit for DDs wedding and it grew ! Inches too long in the sleeves and generally shapeless!
Linen trousers get baggy in minutes ?

Theoddbird Tue 09-Mar-21 10:56:57

I have several linen dresses and none have shrunk when washed smile

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Mar-21 11:17:23

Aggie - maybe it's because linen relaxes? If linen is going to be fitted it is sometimes lined. I used to have have some "smart" linen trousers which were part lined too.

Riggie Tue 09-Mar-21 11:27:48

I love linen and have several dresses and bloises. No shrinkage has been noticed but they are looser styles rather than fitted so there is some leeway.