Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shampoo

(18 Posts)
NanKate Mon 19-Apr-21 19:34:50

I went for a much needed cut and blow dry today and my hairdresser asked if I had changed shampoo as she said my hair was hard to manage and was a bit ‘claggy’. I had noticed it was rather dull since changing to a coconut based shampoo for dandruff. The small amount of dandruff has now gone.

Can anyone recommend a shampoo for dry, straight hair please ?

Ngaio1 Mon 19-Apr-21 19:58:48

I had advice to use a pure shampoo without chemical additives at least once a month to prevent product building on hair. I love mane and tail shampoo which cleanses beautifully.

Bridgeit Mon 19-Apr-21 20:19:38

Can’t recommend a shampoo , but add a drop of vinegar to final rinse . Gives a nice shine .

MiniMoon Mon 19-Apr-21 20:35:10

I've recently switched to using a solid shampoo bar. I buy from The Funky Soap shop. The bars are beautifully scented, and last for ages.
My hairdresser has complimented the condition of my hair.

J52 Mon 19-Apr-21 20:37:13

Faith in Nature are pure shampoos, found in Holland and Barrett. Lovely natural fragrances.

Stillwaters Mon 19-Apr-21 20:45:57

I tried using shampoo bars, but had a horrible waxy build up on my hair - I researched online and found that they don't work in hard water areas (mine is very hard). Shame as I really wanted to 'do my bit'
I'm now using the Maui range- no sulfates / parabens /silicones /mineral oils /SLS or ALES - and it's vegan.

3dognight Mon 19-Apr-21 21:38:45

Perhaps you have product build up on your hair? Boots used to do a shampoo for this, I used this when I used a lot of products on my hair. Then a hair mask after it for deep conditioning.
I’m not an expert, but my hair was just as you described yours.

Hithere Mon 19-Apr-21 22:40:55

Dandruff shampoos are a little more aggressive on the hair

Also, coconut oil, depending on the concentration, can be drying

MerylStreep Mon 19-Apr-21 22:49:13

Bicarbonate of soda mixed with shampoo clears hair of all build up.

Hithere Tue 20-Apr-21 03:43:52

Vinegar rinse is also good to remove buildup.

Coolgran65 Tue 20-Apr-21 05:50:39

I use Head and Shoulders. Followed by a conditioner. Sometimes use the purple shampoo and conditioner. I neve seem to have build up and my hair is it great condition. I use a mousse and a quick spray of Elnett.

NanKate Tue 20-Apr-21 06:31:44

Thanks Folks for your helpful advice. ??

Juliet27 Tue 20-Apr-21 06:42:23

Bridgeit

Can’t recommend a shampoo , but add a drop of vinegar to final rinse . Gives a nice shine .

You’ve reminded me that my mum always used to do that when she washed my hair, and yes it did used to shine.

Juliet27 Tue 20-Apr-21 06:44:58

I find changing shampoos regularly is best for my hair. Stops any buildup.

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Apr-21 06:54:33

You need something with 'Clarifying' in its name.

Bridgeit Tue 20-Apr-21 21:52:50

Juliet 27, good old days??

Milliedog Wed 21-Apr-21 18:39:49

I use Argan oil shampoo and conditioner. Seems to work.

Amberone Wed 21-Apr-21 19:18:16

I have very hard water, and the minerals like calcium cling to the hair. After a few weeks it tends to get a bit dull and stiff.

About once a month I rinse my hair in vinegar/water after washing. I just put a cup of distilled white vinegar in a sink of cold water and dunk my hair in it. Apart from dissolving the minerals, the low pH of vinegar and the cold water close the hair cuticles so that they lay flat, which also makes the hair shine.