Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Recommend a mascara that's kind to my eyes and won't rub off.

(24 Posts)
foxie48 Wed 21-Apr-21 13:44:31

Looking to buy a new mascara and wondered if anyone would like to give me a recommendation. I've got quite sensitive eyes so I'm looking for something that doesn't easily rub off. My eye lashes are not too sparse but could do with thickening up and lengthening just a bit. I hate panda eyes and spend a lot of time outdoors in the wind and rain!

geekesse Wed 21-Apr-21 13:53:57

I have mine dyed. It doesn’t thicken or lengthen, but it looks good and there’s no panda eyes.

Aldom Wed 21-Apr-21 14:24:00

Green People make organic facial /hair products. They have a range of mascaras suitable for sensitive skin. I have used their mascara, eye cream and shampoo with no problems. My skin is sensitive too. Just Google them to see if they have a suitable product for you.

CocoPops Wed 21-Apr-21 16:44:37

Maybelline waterproof mascara

ginny Wed 21-Apr-21 17:32:47

Rimmel waterproof. I’ve used it for years.

lemongrove Wed 21-Apr-21 17:35:04

I have sensitive eyes too and can second Rimmel waterproof and also Maybelline, easy on the wallet too.?

fevertree Wed 21-Apr-21 18:05:05

Sorry to disagree but IMO waterproof mascara is the pits! You have to rub like the clappers to get it off, and/or use a really oily cleanser.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Apr-21 18:13:02

Lancôme Hypnoise (sp) or Dolleyes, I have sensitive eyes and these are the only two that I can wear and they stay on my lashes not my face!

Inca1233 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:37:31

Tropic mascara is my favourite right now. Thickens and is easy to remove.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:41:46

I’ve always used L’Oreal mascara but if I’m going to be outside (my eyes tend to water a lot if it’s windy) I just add a small layer of waterproof to seal it. Otherwise I end up with panda eyes.

tiredoldwoman Thu 22-Apr-21 12:42:51

I like Maybelline waterproof too , stays on all day , no itchy eyes . Yes, it's a bugger to remove but that's what you wanted - staying power . A wee rub with Ponds then a shower does the trick .

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:44:11

...my lashes are quite sparse and L’Oreal voluminous is the only mascara I’ve ever found that plumps them up. My eyes/skin are very sensitive.

DillytheGardener Thu 22-Apr-21 12:51:33

What you need is a ‘tubing’ mascara, they don’t rub or slide off, and only come of when you gently wash with warm water. I have sensitive eyes and wear contact lenses, so I can’t wear normal mascara as I get awful panda eyes and this irritates my lenses. I use the Clinique one but I’ve attached a link to some other options.https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/g28691358/tubing-mascara/

DillytheGardener Thu 22-Apr-21 12:53:10

Whoops; here it is.

www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/g28691358/tubing-mascara/

MayBee70 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:59:59

I’ve bumped this up rather than start a new thread. I’ve hardly worn make up throughout the pandemic and when I did put some on I looked ridiculous. Especially the mascara I used to use which is all clumpy and bitty. So I sent away for some mascara called Prime that was advertised in the internet and it does actually do what it says. And is slightly water resistant because I have that strange eye problem which is that my dry eyes make my eyes water. Now to sort my eyebrows out.

shysal Fri 19-Aug-22 19:33:47

Waterproof mascara prevents panda eyes. I am currently using e.l.f. length and volume, bought on Ebay. I read that TV make up artists often use it. I cleans off easily with Garnier Miscellar Water.

dahlia Thu 08-Sep-22 20:15:22

I have used Clinique waterproof mascara for years, after finding other brands didn't suit my sensitive eyes. Although proof against the weather/tears/funerals (!), it's easy to remove this mascara using warm water and a cloth. smile

LadyGracie Fri 09-Sep-22 09:56:30

I second that dahlia Clinique waterproof mascara does stay put until you rinse it off and it’s great to use with sensitive eyes.

JaneJudge Fri 09-Sep-22 10:01:20

maybeline is really good for sensitive eyes/skin as is rimmel and like others say it is easy on the pocket too!

Babs758 Fri 09-Sep-22 10:13:42

Another vote for Clinique waterproof mascara here.

Squiffy Fri 09-Sep-22 10:44:13

I’m very sensitive to makeup, but have found cheapo waterproof mascara in Wilko is great and doesn’t cause me any problems at all - unlike far more expensive makes. It’s called Essence. Cheap price, too!

LucyLocket55 Fri 09-Sep-22 11:15:02

I’ve been seeing adverts for a mascara called Prime which says it will thicken, condition etc etc. does anyone have any experience of this brand as it is bit pricey to buy on spec?

Gillycats Fri 09-Sep-22 13:21:22

I find M&S mascara is really good. It’s not tested on animals either, unlike almost all the brands mentioned on here sadly.

MayBee70 Fri 09-Sep-22 13:27:51

LucyLocket55

I’ve been seeing adverts for a mascara called Prime which says it will thicken, condition etc etc. does anyone have any experience of this brand as it is bit pricey to buy on spec?

I’ve just bought some and I really like it. I can’t say it makes my lashes look very thick and long but they are very sparse to begin with. It does coat them and lengthen them very well. I have very sensitive skin and it hasn’t caused a problem. I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to buying miracle stuff off the internet but I am pleased with this particular purchase.