Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Regaine

(94 Posts)
blondenana Thu 27-May-21 12:51:59

I have posted about this before,when i decided to try regains for hair loss
I wonder how long anyone who used it saw results
I have been using this for about 8 months now and no difference,
Do i carry on ?or give it up,as it is quite expensive?
Also is there any difference in the names Regaine and Minoxidil, i assumed it was the same thing
TIA

Kate1949 Thu 27-May-21 17:42:35

It didn't work for me. I must have spent thousands on trying to keep my hair. Sadly I lost it all anyway. What does it recommend on the instructions?

blondenana Fri 28-May-21 00:38:45

It does say it can take up to 32weeks to see a
difference but nothing.I remember you saying that you had lost all your hsir.but can't remember why now.
Mine has generally got thinner all over.but the bald patches stem from the crown down
I can cover it up to a point of I pup the top hair down over the patches.but fed up of wearing a hat I just wondered if minoxidil is the same as regaine just a different name
Thank you for your reply anyway

MiniMoon Fri 28-May-21 06:43:16

REGAINE® contains the active ingredient minoxidil, which is scientifically proven to help stop and reverse hereditary hair loss.
If your hair loss is due to something other than it being hereditary, then I think Regaine may be a waste of time and money.
Fortunately I don't suffer hair loss, but my sister worries about her thinning hair.

Kate1949 Fri 28-May-21 09:52:15

Mine is hereditary I believe. My mother lost her hair. As I said, it didn't work for me. I wish you luck blondenana. It's very distressing.

GrandmaRosie Mon 31-May-21 20:08:13

Viviscal is good for maintaining hair.

blondenana Tue 01-Jun-21 22:22:40

I was told it was due to stress.but I would think that it would generally thin all over ,but there are almost half patches.my mother did have hereditary hair loss.but thin all over mainly.I am going to give it one more month and if no results give up,
I have tried viviscal.that is expensive too.didn't work for me

blondenana Tue 01-Jun-21 22:42:26

Half=bald

Kate1949 Wed 02-Jun-21 09:45:31

blondenana During the trauma of my hair loss, and many months of trying to find a solution I realise there is no help out there. I was in my own.
I have spent a fortune and it's been a complete nightmare. It's appalling that you can't get things like Viviscal on prescription. I don't think people realise the impact of hair loss on women. I have been suicidal at times.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Jun-21 11:07:57

I’m going to buy some minoxidil on line. It’s more like the one Boots used to sell, which is a liquid that you rub into your scalp. The Regaine foam I use currently makes my hair very dry, although it does thicken it. I don’t know if it works or not, but I’m scared to stop now, having used it for years. I’ve taken to wearing head warmers most of the time, woolly ones when it’s cold and sports ones when it’s warmer.

MerylStreep Wed 02-Jun-21 11:29:24

If these products worked people like Gloria Hunniford ( who once had a glorious head of hair) wouldn’t be loosing it.
It’s such an emotive subject/problem that manufacturers know we will try anything.
I don’t mind when at home but for ‘going out out ?’ I bought a good wig and love it.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:39:36

I’ve done that but I’m not going anywhere to wear it. I am thinking of cutting my hair really short and buying more wigs but I don’t want to have to keep going back to the hairdressers each month. Especially as I have to pay as much people with a full head of hair. As it is I just put it in an elastic band and chop bits off myself.

starlily106 Sat 05-Jun-21 22:34:45

I was very worried about my hair,it was thinning so quickly. I saw some shampoo which is called Triple Eight which has coffee in it. It was only £1 . I decided to give it a try, and I am pleased to say it really worked. The only thing is that the new hair that grows in is very dark, and my hair has been silver for years, now it looks more like steel grey, but at least I can see that I do have new hair growing in. You can get it from places like B&M, Home Bargains, Savers. and Wilkinsons. As it is so cheap I think it's worth a try.

starlily106 Sat 05-Jun-21 22:47:37

Sorry, when I said there was coffee in it I should have said caffeine.

MayBee70 Sat 05-Jun-21 22:50:41

Well coffee would account for the new growth being dark!

Mistyfluff8 Sun 06-Jun-21 06:12:25

It didn’t work at all for me and my doctor recommended it Used it for ages

blondenana Fri 11-Jun-21 19:27:18

Very interesting to hear all these views on hair loss
I was watching a video on youtube with 2 Drs,one who had something to do with it's discovery as a hair restorer, when it was taken in tablet form for high blood pressure,and people started growing hair
He said it's the second 6 months when you start seeing the difference,so will carry on for a bit longer
Starlily100 i will look out for that shampoo,anything is worth trying thank you

greenlady102 Fri 11-Jun-21 19:37:28

here's what the NHS say. Its my understanding that monoxidil doesn't work for inherited hair thinning..the only thing that works for that is choosing the right parents! I have got a bald patch that is getting bigger but I ignore it as best i can. the other thing with what works is there is this condition which mostly self rights called telogen effluvium. people tend to credit whatever they were using when the hair starts to regrow when in fact it would have happened anyway,
www.nhs.uk/conditions/hair-loss/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telogen_effluvium

greenlady102 Fri 11-Jun-21 19:41:23

PS I have just looked at the viviscal website and sorry but its snake oil...all the trials say hair LOOKS fuller, LOOKS thicker, LOOKS glossier...nothing about hair regrowth or bald patches getting smaller sorry

blondenana Thu 17-Jun-21 00:56:33

Yes my dermatologist ssyd!octogenarian gtowth miracles are snake oil

blondenana Thu 17-Jun-21 01:03:00

Sorry should say says most hair growth miracles
are snake oil

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:50:56

blondenana

Sorry should say says most hair growth miracles
are snake oil

I would go further and say they all are.

blondenana Thu 17-Jun-21 18:09:15

I was told Minoxidil was the only thing that would work
I have been told also that saw palmetto is good to block DHT from the scalp,

MayBee70 Thu 17-Jun-21 20:20:33

If hair growth was found to be a side effect of blood pressure medication then it can’t be snake oil. Albeit not necessarily working for everyone. I do think that, if I hadn’t used it for several years I would be bald on top now. The trouble is, I can’t be certain about that because I’m scared to stop using it. And my hair still doesn’t grow beyond a certain length.

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 21:04:29

MayBee70

If hair growth was found to be a side effect of blood pressure medication then it can’t be snake oil. Albeit not necessarily working for everyone. I do think that, if I hadn’t used it for several years I would be bald on top now. The trouble is, I can’t be certain about that because I’m scared to stop using it. And my hair still doesn’t grow beyond a certain length.

minoxidil is the only one that isn't...but its no miracle. It has to be used continuously and even then it doesn't work for everybody or even forever for the folk it works on. Its the only one that has been through proper clinical trials. by "hair growth miracles" I meant the ones that are touted as wonder products with no actual statements of fact or research.