Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

To wear shorts out and about or just at home?

(60 Posts)
Bea65 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:42:50

Would you wear short shorts ? I like to wear shorts under midi dresses with slits at sides ...like to wear shorts at home but am not confident to wear out...

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:52:40

Yes, particularly on the beach. Also if going for a good walk I may wear shorts in the hot weather.

I’m 75 btw.

tanith Fri 11-Jun-21 13:54:11

I wear longer shorts or cut offs a lot of the time in Summer but keep my shorter shorts for the garden or beach. I’m lucky my legs are ok and tan really quickly.

Blossoming Fri 11-Jun-21 13:54:51

I wear denim or cotton cargo shorts out in summer if it’s hot. They’re not tiny shorts though.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 13:55:45

Wear shorts if you want to. I wear shorts, I wouldn't necessarily say they are short shorts. The ones I am wearing today are a bit like a skirt and come just above the knee.

Have you ever looked at ANYONE and thought they shouldn't be wearing shorts?

Amberone Fri 11-Jun-21 13:56:22

I personally only wear shorts if I'm in the garden, at the beach or hiking/cycling in the Summer but I don't see why anyone shouldn't wear them if they want to. Each to their own. I just like to wear dresses/skirts in the Summer if I'm out and about shopping, visiting, etc.

In colder weather I live in jeggings or jeans, so it's nice to be able to dress up a little bit.

Redhead56 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:56:55

Three quarter length for me because of veins in my legs.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:57:24

I might add that all my shorts come to just above the knee.

Lin52 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:01:06

Unable to wear shorts, but great for those that can and do.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Jun-21 14:08:20

I don’t wear short shorts at all, but denim cutoffs, or others, about 2/3‘’ above the knee I wear all summer, just about to go and see my GP in mine.

Petera Fri 11-Jun-21 14:14:29

JaneJudge

Wear shorts if you want to. I wear shorts, I wouldn't necessarily say they are short shorts. The ones I am wearing today are a bit like a skirt and come just above the knee.

Have you ever looked at ANYONE and thought they shouldn't be wearing shorts?

I do love a challenge

grandtanteJE65 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:14:52

I have never cared for shorts and stopped wearing them when I was about 25. I would never do so now, but I realise that I am quite definitely "odd" about this.

Do whatever you feel most comfortable with. Many (most) adult men and women regard shorts as respectable summer wear now and not just as sportswear.

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 14:18:53

“Have you ever looked at ANYONE and thought they shouldn't be wearing shorts?”

Honestly ? Yes. Sorry I know I’m shallow.. I’d look at myself and think that’ I wear cutoffs/capris. I venture into a skirt for tennis very rarely! I don’t like my legs ….well I like them for carrying me around but not as a thing of beauty M

BlueBelle Fri 11-Jun-21 14:19:57

I still wear shorts, knee length, luckily my legs are still ok for an old un with no veins

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 14:21:31

grin at that photo of Boris Johnson! That is more about the whole outfit! I mean why that shirt with those shorts

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:25:19

Even when I was young my legs were too fat for shorts. Even more so hot pants (remember them?). And now with varicose veins they’re even worse. I have bought some big bloomer anti chafing slip shorts to wear under dresses in case of Marilyn Monroe moments though. They also make me feel less worried about my blush tena ladies slipping out of my pants. Oh the joys of old age sad….

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 14:25:40

BlueBelle

I still wear shorts, knee length, luckily my legs are still ok for an old un with no veins

Lucky you ! Many of my tennis playing friends of my age and older have marvellous legs….I blame my mother.

Deedaa Fri 11-Jun-21 14:30:57

I haven't had the legs for shorts, or short skirts for years now. I go for wide legged linen trousers or long skirts in the summer. To look really good in shorts you need exceptionally good legs, whether male or female, but as long as you're happy wear what you like.

Callistemon Fri 11-Jun-21 14:33:23

I've had a cluster of veins on one leg since I was 28 and pregnant and yes, I wear shorts.
Not very short shorts, just above the knee.

But I don't often wear dresses.

seacliff Fri 11-Jun-21 14:34:22

I don't have the legs for it sadly, so stick with loose cool summer trousers. I don't have any shorts even for at home.

It's all about being realistic as to how YOU look in a garment, is it flattering, and not too revealing, nothing to do with age. I see plenty of older ladies looking great in shorts.

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Jun-21 14:36:10

A friend sent me this yesterday ?

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:40:13

Lucca

BlueBelle

Lucky you ! Many of my tennis playing friends of my age and older have marvellous legs….I blame my mother.

For some reason I inherited my dads legs (short fat varicose veins) and my mums hair (thin, very very thin….) sad

hazel93 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:44:01

Wearing shorts now watching the tennis at home.
Still happy to wear on the beach etc. but no way would I go into town wearing them .
As my Nan would have said " No need to frighten the horses " !

GrannySomerset Fri 11-Jun-21 14:47:22

Or as my mother would have said, “Have you seen yourself from behind?”

ginny Fri 11-Jun-21 15:06:17

Can’t say I particularly like short shorts at all.
However, wear what you like and feel comfy in. If other people don’t like it that’s their problem not yours.