Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Changing over to Autumn/Winter clothes

(76 Posts)
MayBeMaw Mon 20-Sep-21 19:40:49

Will somebody please tattoo on the inside of my eye-lids
“On no account buy any more jumpers” ?
I have made a start on getting the bags of Winter clothes down from the loft and I cannot believe how many jumpers I have amassed over the last few years.
The charity shop and the Afghan refugees will do well out of them as they are all in excellent condition, but short of changing three times a day I DO NOT NEED ALL OF THEM.
It is nice to rediscover some old friends however and I can hardly wait for it to get cold enough to wear them!

I really like my winter clothes, snuggly jumpers, suede boots and cord jeans -which do you prefer?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Sep-21 19:48:36

I love all seasons, and enjoy rediscovering clothes not worn since last winter, summer etc.

I do have a penchant for boots, all colours, shapes and heel heights and look forward to wearing them. I have far too many jeans in various colours and so many jumpers and jumper dresses. I have set myself a challenge to not buy any boots this season, jeans and jumpers I might (probably) be tempted, no coat buying or handbags…

(I shall confess in due course ?)

Jaxjacky Mon 20-Sep-21 19:54:53

I have about 5 pairs of jeans, four jumpers, two cardigans, one pair of long boots, two pairs of ankle boots, two warm coats and one raincoat. That does me, I replace them as they get worn out.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Sep-21 19:59:05

I love autumn and winter clothes. I thought I had too many jumpers but all my clothes except underwear, nightwear and coats are hanging in my wardrobe. Coats in coat cupboard in the hall. Nothing stored elsewhere.

Grannyboots1 Mon 20-Sep-21 20:02:10

I’ve already bought three new jumpers this month, I make sure they are all in order of colour and cannot wait to wear them with elasticated waist bottoms. Bliss !!

Silverbridge Mon 20-Sep-21 20:16:04

The Gudrun Sjoden catalogue had the most delicious autumn/winter sweaters. I figure I spent fifteen lockdown months slopping around in things fit only for the cat basket and frightening the postman (if I could be bothered to get dressed at all - even more scary for him) so I'm planning to treat myself.

Yes, colourful sweaters, black jeans and slouchy boots.

Harris27 Mon 20-Sep-21 20:20:37

Love autumn and winter clothes snuggly and warm! And yes I do have them stored away! Lots of tunic jumpers!

Shinamae Mon 20-Sep-21 20:25:16

Autumn and winter all the way…????❄️☃️⛄️⛈

Shinamae Mon 20-Sep-21 20:27:06

Jaxjacky

I have about 5 pairs of jeans, four jumpers, two cardigans, one pair of long boots, two pairs of ankle boots, two warm coats and one raincoat. That does me, I replace them as they get worn out.

My friend does this,she has a very capsule wardrobe, I have done it to a certain extent but still have far too much but reading this I’m going to give it another go, I tend to live in jeans and boots in the winter and jeans and trainers in the summer!!… tomorrow morning the purge will begin!! ?

Blossoming Mon 20-Sep-21 20:32:19

Not winter clothes for me, I have far too many t-shirts. All in good condition, but just too many.

Millie22 Mon 20-Sep-21 20:40:16

I don't like putting my summer clothes away but it's still so warm during the day so maybe a few more weeks yet. I would like some new boots for the winter.

Lizzie72 Mon 20-Sep-21 20:40:28

Yes, looking forward to wearing my boots, scarves, warm coats, etc. I like sweater dresses and thick tights.

MayBeMaw Mon 20-Sep-21 20:42:38

I have just been reading the cautionary thread about heating costs this winter and I realise that I can wear six jumpers at a time and still have some to spare!

Lizzie72 Mon 20-Sep-21 20:43:37

Michelin gran!

sodapop Mon 20-Sep-21 20:44:35

Can't bear jumpers or anything woolen, I usually wear polo shirts or long sleeved shirts throughout the winter. I have a couple of sweat shirts in case it gets really really cold.

MayBeMaw Mon 20-Sep-21 20:44:58

That’s even without the jumpers! ???

Jaxjacky Mon 20-Sep-21 20:47:29

Shinamae yes I’m jeans or shorts in the summer, trainers or flip flops and t shirts which I wear under the winter jumpers. I do have a couple of thermal long sleeve vests. Best of luck.

Shinamae Mon 20-Sep-21 21:13:48

Jaxjacky

Shinamae yes I’m jeans or shorts in the summer, trainers or flip flops and t shirts which I wear under the winter jumpers. I do have a couple of thermal long sleeve vests. Best of luck.

Will report back Jacky!

lemongrove Mon 20-Sep-21 21:54:18

Millie22

I don't like putting my summer clothes away but it's still so warm during the day so maybe a few more weeks yet. I would like some new boots for the winter.

Same here Millie am hanging on to Summer clothes for as long as possible ( and will just add a cardie ) and have far too many.
I need a few things for Winter though, for some reason find Winter clothes harder to buy but have just ordered new boots from Hotter ( to add to boot collection mouldering away in the cupboard.)?

Chewbacca Mon 20-Sep-21 22:04:18

Having spent lockdown knitting endless jumpers, I'm also rather well stocked for this winter. Thanks to a post by Lemongrove last winter, I went a bit silly in the Clarke's sale and ended up with enough ankle boots to sink a ship. Then Maw posted about the Hotter sale and I repeated the same silliness. I'm easily led If I never bought an other item of clothing again, I'd have more than enough. Who was it that posted about the Kit & Kaboodle sale? hmm

lemongrove Mon 20-Sep-21 22:09:03

Ahem! Just ordered ankle boots in navy leather Chewbacca as Hotter sent me a brochure with 20% off.....surely you need some??

Chewbacca Mon 20-Sep-21 22:16:42

Get thee behind me Lemon! grin Because of you and Maw, I've got navy leather, very dark green leather, burgundy suede and grey suede, plus the 2 pairs of black I already had!

Redhead56 Mon 20-Sep-21 22:39:02

Woolies and thermals for me I only half hearted put them away. My thick tights came out from a short break the other day it was really cold.

CanadianGran Mon 20-Sep-21 22:42:08

I just bought a new sweater and scarf last week... now thinking I need some black ankle boots.

I don't put away seasonal clothing since I have room in my closet and dresser for all my clothes. If it starts to get a bit crowded, then something needs to go. I could do with a bit of a purge.

We have already been having cool and rainy weather, so sandals may not see the light of day for a few months.

Shirleyw Tue 21-Sep-21 05:44:00

Did the loft exchange last week….kept a few summer bits down to still wear but snap maybemaw…I did say to myself then not To buy any more clothes for this winter….I have bought a pair of hiking and biker boots but regarding tops , bottoms and coats I really mustn’t…..I am knitting a cable jumper though……the Salvation Army clothes bank did well out of me last week. I feel satisfied now after a loft clear out..