Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Fur products on clothing.

(21 Posts)
Namsnanny Wed 20-Oct-21 15:14:33

Something on another thread reminded me of this problem highlighted on the Joe Lycett program.
Apparently most (everything they found on the market) products accessorized with fur are using real fur. Not fake.

The manufacturers have just given up labelling as such.

The reason is the fur is so
inexpensive now it negates the use of fake on price.
With Christmas coming and lovely winter scarves slippers coats etc trimmed with it, I thought some people might be glad to know this.

Sarnia Wed 20-Oct-21 15:34:45

Sad and unnecessary if true. Fake fur is an excellent substitute. Real fur always looks far better on the animal.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 15:38:44

I don’t buy fur trimmed things. I’ve never liked it.

25Avalon Wed 20-Oct-21 15:42:40

Not absolutely sure on this. If it’s a byproduct like rabbit fur where the rabbit is kept for meat, then what’s the difference between that and sheepskin and leather? But if it’s just keeping them in cages solely for fur that doesn’t seem right.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 20-Oct-21 16:00:37

I would wonder about the rabbits Avalon. Unlikely to be wild, more likely bred in cages. I don’t buy anything with fur trimmings because of the difficulty in telling whether it’s real or fake. Some of the fake fur is very realistic and I couldn’t be certain I wasn’t buying the real thing - which I would never do. I don’t buy sheepskin because I don’t like to think of its origin. I buy leather only when I have to. For instance I would never have leather furniture nowadays as I have in the past. And as for ‘ponyskin’ shoes and bags ..

timetogo2016 Wed 20-Oct-21 16:18:46

Same here Blossoming.

Blondiescot Wed 20-Oct-21 16:19:45

Real fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people. There - said it.

Chestnut Wed 20-Oct-21 17:51:30

The problem with any fur is that you can't be sure of its origin. I agree as a by-product it's acceptable but how do you know it is a by-product and not from an animal being kept solely for its fur?

Dinahmo Wed 20-Oct-21 17:57:07

How many people eat rabbits these days?

Audi10 Wed 20-Oct-21 17:59:35

Agree with blondiescot

Namsnanny Wed 20-Oct-21 18:04:27

The problem as it was explained on the program, is the fact that more and more people dont buy fur on principle. So the fur farms dont make a profit and are more or less giving the fur away.
Which some manufacturers are taking advantage of and bypassing the need to label clearly.

These items end up here for sale.

25Avalon Wed 20-Oct-21 20:11:30

Dinahmo

TV chefs like Jamie Oliver?

FannyCornforth Thu 21-Oct-21 04:35:14

Reminds me of this from Derek Nimmo (now there’s one for the teenagers smile).

His wife was wearing a full length fur.

A horrified woman asked her,
‘What poor creature died so that you could wear that?’

Mrs Nimmo replied, ‘My mother in law’.

The thing is, the fur trimmings on bobble hats and things like that are most likely to be from Chinese animals , which obviously are kept in horrendous circumstances.
Likewise, shoes made in China. Its not unusual to buy shoes made in China made from dog leather.

Don’t buy leather goods made in China, unless of course you don’t have an issue with this.

vegansrock Thu 21-Oct-21 07:18:16

The leather industry isn’t just built on by products - there is lots of animals kept for hides with much cruelty involved, environmental damage by all the chemical processes and terrible conditions for human tannery workers in places like India and Bangladesh. If you read this you will be put off buying leather.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj4mc2t7NrzAhXoyYUKHVC-ADUQFnoECAUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.peta.org%2Ffeatures%2Fleather-industry%2F&usg=AOvVaw0ctj2pJRUDhM-HPUNcEgTT

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Oct-21 07:36:06

We went on holiday to Estonia and, I asked in a shop for confirmation that a rather nice hat was fake fur. The assistant said she didn't know but could well be Asian racoon dog as it was impossible to tell the difference. The racoon dogs aren't native to Estonia are considered as vermin and killed. They do have rather lovely long brown/black fur.

Back in the UK I bought a Joe Brown coat with a detachable fur trim collar. There was no indication on the label about the fur and I was assured it was fake, but it looked very like Racoon dog. And just like the fur commonly used as bobbles on knitted hats.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Oct-21 07:37:25

Dinahmo

We do.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Oct-21 07:40:06

Dinahmo

Our butcher sells wild rabbit sometimes. They have to be shot sometimes when there's too many of them.

FannyCornforth Thu 21-Oct-21 07:51:13

You can tell if fur is real or fake by blowing on it.
Real fur makes a sort of flower shape - it radiates from a central point. A bit like the rosettes you see on some guinea pigs.

SherryTBangles Tue 26-Oct-21 19:12:45

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SherryTBangles Tue 26-Oct-21 19:34:25

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Nov-21 21:21:28

FannyCornforth

You can tell if fur is real or fake by blowing on it.
Real fur makes a sort of flower shape - it radiates from a central point. A bit like the rosettes you see on some guinea pigs.

I did that Fanny and it rosette'd and the ends of the hairs tapered too, but the assistant was absolutely positive that such a reputable company would not use real fur. I wonder how many fur hat bobbles are racoon dog.