Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Online clothes buying - photographs

(9 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 19-May-22 21:06:55

It really irritates me, when online shopping for clothes, how unclear some of the photographs of the clothes are.

Surely these photographers and models know these shots are taken in order to showcase the clothing? Not as artistic shots or to showcase the model? I mean, I'm an older woman, I'm not shopping for high fashion.

I want to clearly be able to see neckline, sleeves, hemline, waist, fastenings etc. Not see a skirt hoiked up so I can't see how long it is, or to see arms wrapped around the waist, so I can't see the shape of the dress. One model on one of the sites I was looking at had the skirt of every dress she modelled lifted up to mid-thigh. It completely changed the appearance of the dress.

I avoid buying if I can't see properly. Recently, I took a chance and ordered a lot of items, because I needed some stuff for summer. Easily ordering about 20+ items. All other than a t-shirt went back, because they were unsuitable. If I'd been able to see the garments properly, I would never have ordered them and the company wouldn't have the hassle of reshelving (or whatever the online equivalent is).

M0nica Thu 19-May-22 21:54:20

Had the same problem today. A ordered what I thought was a waterproof anorak, with a very thin lining. heavier than a pacamac, but not a jacket, something to throw on over something, when you are going out and rain threatens. The jacket I received is, in fact, a solidly built perfectly good winter lined anorak - but that isnt' what I wanted.

I knew it was wrong as soon as the postman handed it to me at the door, The package was too solid and too heavy.

NotTooOld Thu 19-May-22 22:10:31

I agree that online shopping can be annoying when what you receive is not what you thought you ordered. However I went actual shopping earlier this week to actual real shops and I hated the shuffling through the racks looking for my size or the colour I wanted and there were a lot of empty shelves as well. I came away deciding I much preferred online shopping.

Caleo Fri 20-May-22 00:34:54

I'd like to see a line drawing of each garment so the basic shape and seamlines can be clearly seen, back and front. I need to know whether it's empire line, A-line, drndl. cut on the cross, straight up and down, ribbed around the lower hem, flared, etc.

I have little use for tall thin models flouncing around in extraordinary positions.

MawtheMerrier Fri 20-May-22 09:19:52

It may sound obvious, but I check the product details, size guide, star rating and reviews first.
Rarely disappointed!
(An example from the John Lewis website)

GagaJo Fri 20-May-22 09:38:17

I also check those. They can be a bit vague though.

BigBertha1 Fri 20-May-22 09:39:44

gagajo I too order items and when they come they do not look the same as in the photograph - usually its the colour. I still order on line but I'm a bit more cautious than I used to me and do some but probably not all that maw suggests.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 10:05:22

I just returned a top which was nothing like the colour in the picture, nor was it anything like the description of the colour. Since when was ‘bright blue’ actually a dull bluey lilac colour?

Patsy70 Fri 20-May-22 11:10:04

I always check the product details first, but am often disappointed when it arrives, as the description is not necessarily as advertised. I don’t enjoy shopping for clothes, although I did buy a denim jacket from Fat Face yesterday! ?