Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The dreaded toe post sandals

(40 Posts)
Audi10 Fri 20-May-22 09:01:34

Always look forward to Spring & Summer when I can get my flip flops out, bought some really pretty ones but silly me only walked a few steps in the supermarket in them, as had the ties round and although I did untie them, you couldn’t really walk more than few steps, so hence this morning walking round my home the plastic toe post is really rubbing in between toes! Suppose I should just suck it up and get used to them,

MiniMoon Fri 20-May-22 09:48:26

I can't stand sandals with toe posts, I would never get used to them!
I bought a pair of rocket dog slip on sandals which I refer to as flip flops.

Aveline Fri 20-May-22 09:50:13

I really hate toe post sandals and only go for slip on ones aka 'sliders' apparently.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-May-22 09:54:04

I have pairs of toe post sandals which are extremely comfortable and some which are not.
I have a beautiful pair of L K Bennet ones which are torturous, I should consign them to the charity shop, but they are just too pretty to part with.

Urmstongran Fri 20-May-22 09:58:13

I bought 2 identical lovely pairs of Havianas flip flops with toe posts. The pair i left in Spain are comfortable but the pair I brought back here are agony on one foot. I might have to hop in Ibiza next week ... No rhyme or reason with this!

rosie1959 Fri 20-May-22 09:59:46

I gave up on toe post sandals years ago always seem to rub and make my feet sore.
I now get most of my sandals from Moshulu I have quite a collection all slip on sliders and they do such an amazing range of colours

tanith Fri 20-May-22 10:05:11

I have lots of flip flops it’s generally what I wear in the Summer. I buy ones with a shaped base though not the very flat sole ones. I find those that are shaped so your toes grip something very comfortable. They do make some with a cloth toe post which you may find more comfy

Shinamae Fri 20-May-22 10:06:35

My feet are so ugly I don’t wear sandals at all! ?

henetha Fri 20-May-22 10:26:30

Toe posts hurt my feet.
And I tend to agree with Shinamae above,- my feet are best hidden from public view these days.

shysal Fri 20-May-22 10:27:36

I can't wear them either as I have bunions and crossed toes. For holiday, house or garden I have a pair of cloud sliders which are the most comfortable flip flops I have tried, and the shaped foot bed means that they don't slip off on my steep lawn.
cloud sliders on Amazon

timetogo2016 Fri 20-May-22 10:40:51

I read today that you can be fined £1000 for driving in flipflops.
Just thought i would give you the thumbs up Gransnetters.

Pantglas2 Fri 20-May-22 10:52:26

timetogo2016

It’s always been the case in Spain so I keep a pair of pumps in the drivers door storage for slipping on when I’m wearing my car-to-bar heels ??!

BlueBalou Sat 21-May-22 07:07:06

I cannot wear toe posts at all, they’re so uncomfortable and give me blisters between my toes in minutes ?
I have crocs sliders and they are incredibly comfortable, washable and come in a range of colours.

Jane43 Sat 21-May-22 07:21:35

I have had that problem in the past but now I always buy FitFlops which are very comfortable.

Esspee Sat 21-May-22 07:30:17

I agree with Jane43 FitFlops the brand not flip flops are like walking on air.
I have eight pairs with the latest being delivered today. I have had plantar fasciitis in the past and couldn’t stand without pain first thing in the morning until I bought FitFlops.
The ones with a toe post are very comfortable.

NotSpaghetti Sat 21-May-22 08:06:12

I have fitflop toe-post sandals too. Very comfy - but I like them best with a backstrap to be honest. I did used to have a comfy Clarks pair too. I have also tried two pairs of supermarket ones but they have both had to go to the charity shop within a few days.
If you can, Audi10, give fitflops a go.

Kim19 Sat 21-May-22 08:21:52

Sounds like I must be very fortunate in that I've never had any problem with toe posts. Never even thought about it until reading this. I've three pairs, same style, different colours.. Think they're called Gabor Jollys.

Happygirl79 Sat 21-May-22 08:42:32

Toe posts are a definite no from me. They cut my skin between the toes in minutes

Froglady Sat 21-May-22 08:49:43

For years I couldn't even cope with seeing people in flip flops as they made me feel funny! Then I saw some that I really liked and were very cheap and decided to give them a go (I'd never actually tried any on before because of the weird feeling they gave me) and I bought them and I wore them for a few minutes at a time at home until I'd got used to them and then for longer. Now I can't wait for the warm weather to come and I can wear them again. The first pair fell apart last year after many years of being worn. I have to be careful about the sizing as I have short toes and some would be a tripping hazard and I have been known to cut them down to fit my short toes! But I love flip flops now.

sodapop Sat 21-May-22 08:50:00

I love my toe post sandals and wear them all year round instead of slippers. In the summer they are my just about my only form of foot wear. I have Scholl and Birkenstock ones but will look at the Fitflops now.

MrsKen33 Sat 21-May-22 08:50:58

Never ever wear flip flops or anything with a toe post. Birkenstocks with two wide straps and buckles for me.

Froglady Sat 21-May-22 08:52:45

timetogo2016

Yes I was told this last year and I'd been driving in them all the time when I was in France during the summer over the past quite a few years but I don't any more.

timetogo2016 Sat 21-May-22 09:05:04

The thing is Pantglas2 and Froglady how would the flipflop police know you are wearing flipflops when you are driving ?.Or do they lurk in door ways of shops waiting to pounce when you are about to get into your car.
The mind boggles.

tanith Sat 21-May-22 09:28:55

If you had an accident while driving in flipflops your insurance may be invalid.

Visgir1 Sat 21-May-22 09:33:45

My favourite footwear.. I remember pestering my mum when I was about 5 for a pair and having such sore in-between my toes but stuck with them.
I Love them.
Fitflops, Sketchers and Reef all have shaped soles with arch support.
Plain, fancy with bling such good choice around now.
Uses as slippers in the summer but didn't know about the Driving.