Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Sister in law's birthday party - what to wear?

(35 Posts)
kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 15:53:14

My sister in law is 60 (damn her!) in August. They are having a lunch party at home (hopefully in the garden)

We get on ok but are not close (long story involving my mother!) She is fairly glamorous and she tends to treat me as though I am a hundred years old (I'm only 73!!!)

I intend to wear linen trousers but with what? I can't cope with scarves. Price isn't a huge issue and 'my' colours are mainly pinks and purples.

All suggestions gratefully received.

lixy Sat 18-Jun-22 16:00:45

I have the blue version of this and it's smart, cool and comfy. Not sure about 'double linen' though, not being a clothes person really.
www.monsoon.co.uk/tie-cuff-linen-tee-pink-34006350.html

Yammy Sat 18-Jun-22 16:06:14

A lovely floaty top with pink and purple swirls. Maybe a pair of up-market espadrilles so you can walk on the grass and the best pair of earrings and a bracelet you have. Discreet make-up and if you can bare it a pair of sunglasses used as headband weather permitting.
I know the feeling my ex-SIL was exactly the same she even tried to outdo me at my daughter's wedding by dropping the name of the upmarket shop she got her ensemble from.
She is my ex now I wasn't the only one who found her antics annoying.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Jun-22 16:07:02

If it’s floaty linen trousers I would have something like this.

www.roman.co.uk/necklace-trim-sleeve-tie-top-19003072

Lucca Sat 18-Jun-22 16:07:18

Something like these ? Pretty and stylish. From Sahara and Capri clothing

Lucca Sat 18-Jun-22 16:08:07

Oh… didn’t load

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 16:10:56

lixy

I have the blue version of this and it's smart, cool and comfy. Not sure about 'double linen' though, not being a clothes person really.
www.monsoon.co.uk/tie-cuff-linen-tee-pink-34006350.html

Oooh, I love that! Sadly not in my size now.

I maybe should have said that I'm a size 20!

I intend to wear white trainers or the like!

Yammy Sat 18-Jun-22 16:11:33

Just had another thought ask Sago she seems to know all the shops and tricks ,the dress she has found for her sons wedding is stunning

62Granny Sat 18-Jun-22 16:24:50

romans-cdn.rlab.net/images/original/b4e3f963-680e-42d1-9ae3-72d2ce1a9a5b.jpg
www.roman.co.uk/curve-retro-swirl-chiffon-overlay-top-20100756
www.klass.co.uk/Leaf-And-Stripe-Print-Cotton-Tunic-Top-Blue-White
These are all available in your size and are to my style and I am the same size. Good luck

Marsha Sat 18-Jun-22 16:31:32

What colour are the linen trousers? And are they wide legged?

Marsha Sat 18-Jun-22 16:36:49

White Stuff

www.whitestuff.com/womens/shirts-and-blouses/pink-mlt-ruby-linen-shirt/

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 18-Jun-22 16:44:03

I would steer away from a linen top if you can. I’m ok with linen trousers but with a linen top I look like a crumpled wreck before I’m out of the door. What colour are your trousers?

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 16:45:56

Ooh, like that shirt Marsha.

I have both wide legged and straight legged trousers in black, white, cream, navy,pink and purple.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 18-Jun-22 16:50:19

Pink and black is a lovely combination.

Esmay Sat 18-Jun-22 16:51:34

I like the kaftan offered by Curvissa .
I'd wear it with loose linen trousers .

And forget your sister in law trying to score points .

Enjoy yourself .

Marsha Sat 18-Jun-22 16:57:37

www.woolovers.com/womens/tunics/womens-scallop-edge-printed-shirt-mini-tile-print-17878

shysal Sat 18-Jun-22 16:57:52

Do you remember the kimono-style top that NanKate bought some time ago? They have changed the style now, they weren't all open fronted then, but they are stylish. I bought a willow pattern one. They would be perfect with linen trousers.
onehundredstars.co.uk/collections/short-kimonos

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 17:02:35

Have a look at the EAST mid-season sale.
I bought the Shanti oversized shirt in the green and the pinky purple.
It does come up BIG though, I bought L but M or maybe even S might have done.
There is a dressier version too

Marsha Sat 18-Jun-22 17:05:49

www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/8481872768955955040?q=john+lewis+blouses&client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=375&bih=548&tbs=vw:g&prmd=sniv&prds=eto:9485718163774013006_0,cdl:1,prmr:1,rsk:PC_15307786043748459254,cs:1

Visgir1 Sat 18-Jun-22 17:18:29

Why not go completely off piste on your colours?
If you can do bright colours, look at long /Tunic style Tops Orange, Reds, Greens that are vibrant, either plane or patterned matched with slimmer leg trousers in a contrast?
Perhaps with over the top earrings and necklace, you don't have to spend a lot on these as they will be statement items.
Something really different and surprising.
Don't forget the White Trainers.

Also might be worth asking in John Lewis they have style advisors (or did not sure post CV?) sure the staff in there would advise?
Have a fabulous day and wow them.

mumofmadboys Sat 18-Jun-22 17:26:27

I must admit for a party in the garden I would just wear the nicest top I already had and something I felt comfy in.

aonk Sat 18-Jun-22 17:42:53

I have a similar SIL birthday situation coming up soon. Fortunately for me my SIL is a lovely, charming person but she and her sister always manage to outdo me on the glamour front. Unless you have a real need to wear trousers why not look at a midi dress with heeled sandals? That could be a very smart and comfortable option and the shops are full of them. If you can combine glamour and comfort somehow you’ll be a winner!

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 17:55:22

I have maybe done my sil a disservice. She is perfectly fine with me just sees me as of an older generation. She explains new fangled things to me without understanding that I have my own panel of experts who do a great job at keeping me current!!

They have a huge garden and I don't really do skirts as I have the most appalling legs and feet.

I like fairly unfussy clothing!!

paddyann54 Sat 18-Jun-22 18:04:54

A nice simple maxi dress would be my choice ,no problems then getting colours to "go" dressed head to toe in one step .
I like seeing other people in prints but I always find them frumpy on me so block colours in my case make me feel more dressy

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 18:18:05

I don’t know when I last wore a skirt or a dress!
It’s trousers for me, a nice top (preferably striking!) probably a big necklace and wedges to stop my feet sinking into the grass.