Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What suits short and fat?

(10 Posts)
Antonia Sat 25-Jun-22 21:33:59

I probably know the answer to this already, which is nothing.
If any of you are 5'0" and size 14/16, what do you look good in?
Winter clothes are not too bad, but anything summery and I look a total frump.
Losing weight would be great but I find it hard.

1summer Sat 25-Jun-22 21:39:17

I wish I knew I am 5.2 and in the last year have gone from a 14 to a 16+. I hate it I look awful in everything I wear. But I am nursing my terminally ill husband so losing weight is not a priority. Feel guilty buying new clothes so everything seems too small on me.

Zachygran Sat 25-Jun-22 21:39:57

Hi Antonia,
I think Linen trousers (petite sizes) are great with a scrappy vest top or t shirt and then a shirt cover up that you just leave open and hides a multitude of sins.

Zachygran Sat 25-Jun-22 21:40:39

That’s a strappy vest top not scrappy lol….

Nannagarra Sat 25-Jun-22 22:27:45

Self-confidence and good posture trump height and dress size every time. I’m blowed if being 5’ will be to my detriment!

M0nica Sat 25-Jun-22 22:34:36

Anything but black that makes large ladies look much larger.

This summer I have seen quite a number of larger women looking wonderful in the floaty floral dresses that are all the rage. Colour and pattern break shapes up.

And as Nagarra says, walk tall, hold your head high and appear confident. Note: appear confident, being confident will follow later.

Blossoming Sat 25-Jun-22 22:56:38

1summer I’m sure you don’t need any more worries in that situation flowers. However, you need to be cool and comfortable, Monica has made good suggestions. I’m 5ft 2ins and size 16, I put weight on over the last few years and it doesn’t want to shift! There are some lovely midi dresses that are maxi length on me. I wear knee length shift dresses over jeggings or leggings. I don’t fret about what people think, I’m happy in my own skin, just trying to be as fit and healthy as I can despite my various ailments smile

StarDreamer Sat 25-Jun-22 23:00:40

May I, a very tall male, suggest that a light, wide brimmed straw hat be considerd to add a finishing touch to what you choose? Not a song and dance man solid hard straw hat, a light one with a rounded dome top, around which is a brightly coloured wide ribbon, with the two ends of the ribbon dangling over the edge of the wide brim.

Very stylish, and practical on a sunny day too.

And shows confidence as it will be quite noticeable.

Daisymae Sat 25-Jun-22 23:13:09

Elasticated waist but tapered trousers with, as has been suggested, a vest top and overshirt. Or maybe some floaty tops? Cotton Traders have some in various lengths. Next is worth a look too or Poetry if you can afford more. Find some basics that you like and build on them.

Jumblygran Sat 25-Jun-22 23:21:06

I am also short and a 14 to 16 and have been this size for a while.
I make sure my clothes aren’t tight, fit is important and getting the right proportions, I often alter the hem of a garment.
A bit of shape is good, princess line dresses are flattering.
I wear longer shirts or cardigans open.
Also using a scarf or a longish necklace to break up the silhouette.
Monochromatic tops and trousers or skirts are good because you aren’t cutting yourself in half on the horizontal.
Asymmetric hems also break that horizontal line.
If you take Stardreamer’s advice make sure the brim isn’t too wide.
As the ladies above have said just be confident hold yourself well, there are plenty of us short roundies out there.