Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Putting a long sleeve jacket on over three-quarter length sleeves

(12 Posts)
BellaT2 Wed 10-Aug-22 17:20:43

Help. Does anyone have a hack for this? I have googled, but with not luck. When I put my jacket or coat on over three-quarter length sleeved tops, the sleeves bunch up and push the front of my top out. The sleeves are too short to hold in my hand while I pull the jacket on (if you see what I mean).

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 10-Aug-22 17:28:17

I get you OP. I know the sleeves are too short to grab but could you pull them down a bit when putting on the jacket and then rearrange the top after you've done battle with the rest of it?

Septimia Wed 10-Aug-22 18:06:00

A couple of pegs joined with a piece of string - attach the pegs to one three-quarter sleeve, hold the string on that hand, put arm in jacket. Gently pull string until the sleeve is comfortable then pull sharply to release pegs. Repeat for the other sleeve, or have two sets of pegs.

Don't know if it works - I've just thought of it!!

Shirley48 Wed 10-Aug-22 18:35:00

Fold the jacket sleeves up - put on over the top, pulling top sleeves down - unfold jacket sleeves

Baggs Wed 10-Aug-22 19:00:40

I have a Seasalt top with 3/4 sleeves. They have solved the problem by having thumb loops in the sleeves so that you can hold them down while putting on the jacket. Genius.

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 19:11:22

Hi BellaT2, can you not just chose something else to wear? I'm sweating thinking of your contortions. smile

Doodledog Wed 10-Aug-22 19:13:42

Shirley48

Fold the jacket sleeves up - put on over the top, pulling top sleeves down - unfold jacket sleeves

This is a good plan - I can't see what can go wrong. I hope I remember it next time I am in that situation!

Shirley48 Wed 10-Aug-22 19:53:16

Doodledog

Shirley48

This is a good plan - I can't see what can go wrong. I hope I remember it next time I am in that situation!

It works for me smile

BellaT2 Thu 11-Aug-22 15:52:06

Thank you, everyone, for your great ideas.
Baggytrazzas - do not fret! I am currently wearing a sleeveless cotton dress and following the shade around the house… The remedies will be tested in the autumn, when it’s cooler.
Lovebeige - this has been my very unsuccessful method up till now - very frustrating!
Septimia - I had been thinking along those lines, but couldn’t think what would work - I will try this.
Shirley and Doodlebug - sounds like this will work with lighter weight jackets..
Baggs - I have a few (too many) Seasalt tops. I’ve just examined them all and none of them have loops. But I could sew elasticated loops on the inside of the sleeves - that should work.

I think I will try Baggs’ solution first.

Thank you all again for your speedy helpful responses. thanks

JackyB Thu 11-Aug-22 18:14:48

I avoid 3/4 sleeves for that very reason.

If it is unavoidable

- choose a jacket with very loose sleeves and/or with a very slinky lining

- pin down the "cuffs" of the top with rubber bands

- pull a long sock over your hand and over the sleeve, slip on jacket, then pull sock out

...... Just a few ideas that spring to mind

BellaT2 Sun 14-Aug-22 17:35:57

Thank you JackyB - more good ideas to try.

Happysexagenarian Tue 23-Aug-22 20:43:27

I have had success with the long sock method.
I have lots of 3/4 sleeve tops - why does everything seem to have 3/4 length sleeves these days!?