Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Just got my hearing aids

(10 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 11-Aug-22 15:13:37

They're NHS
I'm saving up for some private 'in the ear' ones as I'm not profoundly deaf, but in the meantime - what do I do with my hair?
I may not be very deaf but I am very vain and would like my hair to cover them if possible. To this end I've grown my hair so it just reaches the bottom of my ears, although the back is longer and beginning to annoy me by getting under my collar.
I don't know hairdressing-speak so how do I describe something that will cover my ears yet be a little longer at the back. Is it a straight Bob? Graduated Bob? Something else? Perhaps I persevere and should grow it even longer - what would that be called?
I want to get it right or, knowing me, I'll stop wearing them.

aonk Thu 11-Aug-22 15:18:08

I wear hearing aids and share your wish to hide them. Not a problem for me as I have hair which reaches my collarbone. I suggest you ask for a consultation at the hairdressers. These are free and you could try more than one salon if necessary. They will be quite used to enquiries of this kind especially if they have older people among their clients.

ExDancer Wed 31-Aug-22 11:22:16

I also have problems with itching in one ear - I phoned the audio clinic at the hos[ital and was told to persevere and to phone again in December(!) for an appointment.
Is this usual?

Lathyrus Wed 31-Aug-22 11:36:58

Try either of these Exdancer.

The olive oil , applied on a cotton bud, may be enough to just lubricate a little.

Or the Cl-ear will have a itch relief if the oil doesn’t work.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 31-Aug-22 11:53:33

I have hearing aids but don't worry about hiding them, if others want to point, laugh, etc it says more about them than it does about me.

However, would a pixie'cut work? This is what I have, the layers can be 'fluffed out' if you have thick hair and may hide them a little.

Notagranny44 Wed 31-Aug-22 14:43:36

During lockdown I had a chin length bob, which hid my aids completely, but recently I too had a "pixie" cut, or "Judi Dench" as I call it, and although it doesn't hide the part of the aid which goes in the ear, it does hide the main part, and they are almost invisible.
I too am of the opinion that it doesn't matter if they show, as it "signals" to others that I am hard of hearing, which, to me, is a good thing.

Notagranny44 Wed 31-Aug-22 14:44:07

PS the itching wears off in time!

Gongoozler Wed 31-Aug-22 15:27:30

Thank you for the tip Lathyrus. I too am a hearing aid “virgin” having had them fitted a few days ago. Have had the odd itch in just one ear and am glad to hear Notagranny say it wears off in time.

Thanks for a helpful thread.

luluaugust Wed 31-Aug-22 17:34:47

Also very new to hearing aids, I have a bob haircut that is nearly to my shoulders at present, hides everything.

Gongoozler Wed 31-Aug-22 18:36:25

My hair is short. Just skims the ears, but the aids are quite discrete. I’m not too worried about the bit of tubing which might show. I tell people they should be able to hear me now!