Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How to whiten ageing teeth

(68 Posts)
Lynndy Wed 17-Aug-22 12:22:33

Of all the signs of age when I look in the mirror it’s my teeth that I notice first! Is it possible to improve the colour of teeth when one is 73? Any suggestions from personal experience gratefully accepted.

aggie Wed 17-Aug-22 12:23:31

Ask your dentist , lucky you having them !

Poppyred Wed 17-Aug-22 12:31:59

Go to a dentist that offers this service. They will make moulds of your teeth and provide tooth whitening gel to whiten them. At first you will have to wear them overnight for 2 weeks. After that, once a week should be enough. I paid £200 about 5 years ago. Good idea to use sensitive toothpaste.

I don’t think age matters. Good luck.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Aug-22 12:41:56

I didn’t see much of a difference when I had my teeth whitened by the dentist some years ago. I certainly didn’t want fake-looking whiteness but I felt it had been a bit of a waste of money. I use whitening toothpaste and don’t think my teeth look too bad. Also, certain shades of lipstick can make your teeth look whiter - or yellower, so that’s something I’m careful about.

J52 Wed 17-Aug-22 13:46:34

I drink my tea without milk, so every so often I brush my teeth with bicarbonate of Soda, leave it on for a minute and rinse. It deals with any surface stain,

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-22 14:03:44

The problem with brown teeth in older people is often that the dental enamel has worn down over the years trevealing the darker interior and neither whitening, or not drinking tea, coffee etc will make any differance.

The solution may be a composite coating on the discoloured teeth. I have had this done on about 4 teeth at the bottom front of my mouth.

It has got nothing to do with composite veneers. With composite coatings a paste is spread over your teeth which dries and is polished gently and can last for up to 10 years, although the coating has off one of my teeth after about 3 or 4 years

Elizabeth27 Wed 17-Aug-22 14:23:08

I had mine whitened 7 years ago at the dentist, it cost about £350 and had a couple of £50 top ups. My teeth now are ok coulourwise but are so sensitive I would rather not have had it done.

Serendipity22 Wed 17-Aug-22 14:42:30

Im glad this thread has bern started because despite the fact my teeth are not bad, I would love them to be whiter, NOT RYLAND style !!!! ( heaven forbid haha )

Its interest to know that they can become sensitive after whitening Elizabeth27 because that is something I had wondered about.

smile

Poppyred Wed 17-Aug-22 14:46:16

Should have added, I’m very pleased with the results.

Jane43 Wed 17-Aug-22 14:54:32

J52

I drink my tea without milk, so every so often I brush my teeth with bicarbonate of Soda, leave it on for a minute and rinse. It deals with any surface stain,

That’s useful to know, I will try it. I use Arm and Hammer Bicarbonate of soda whitening toothpaste but after a while it makes my teeth sensitive and I have to switch to Sensodyne toothpaste.

BigBertha1 Wed 17-Aug-22 15:01:07

I have used a whitening toothpaste for several years with no noticeable effect. I would like to have lots of things done but my husband doesn't like 'nature interfered with'. I shall have to employ stealth.

Aveline Wed 17-Aug-22 15:05:36

DD has had her teeth whitened (not that I noticed) however, she now drinks tea through a metal straw to avoid staining. hmm

NanKate Wed 17-Aug-22 15:07:19

There is a difference between the dentist whitening your teeth and having a dentist make a mould which you use each time yourself to whiten your teeth. It’s not cheap but it is the best thing I have done. People often compliment me on my teeth.

I had the mould made about 10 years ago for about £300 and twice a year I buy whitening syringes from the dentist. 3 in a box cost £60. I prefer the whitener that you put in for one and a half hours maybe a couple of times a month.

V3ra Wed 17-Aug-22 15:22:15

Elizabeth27

I had mine whitened 7 years ago at the dentist, it cost about £350 and had a couple of £50 top ups. My teeth now are ok coulourwise but are so sensitive I would rather not have had it done.

My dentist warned me about this and didn't recommend I had it done.

V3ra Wed 17-Aug-22 15:26:49

Also, certain shades of lipstick can make your teeth look whiter - or yellower, so that’s something I’m careful about.

I find this as well Germanshepherdsmum.
My current favourite is Rimmel Moisture Renew Sheer and Shine in Good Mauve.

Poppyred Wed 17-Aug-22 16:11:03

Whitening gel is much cheaper to by online. Have just paid £16.50 for 5 syringes.

Mine Wed 17-Aug-22 16:59:26

What about composite bonding...My friend who is almost 70 has had it done..Said it will last about 8 years...It cost her 800pds which she is paying in instalments to her dentist.....Iv told her I'll just brush mine harder and use extra toothpaste!!!!smile

lemsip Wed 17-Aug-22 17:39:56

bicarbonate of soda toothpaste or put some on your toothbrush then brush teeth. best option.

Grandmamaoftwo Wed 17-Aug-22 17:46:59

I’ve just ordered Non-Abrasive Teeth Whitening Powder online from a company called MySweetSmile. It wasn’t expensive and the reviews were good. It’s arriving tomorrow….so we’ll see if it works!

travelsafar Wed 17-Aug-22 18:16:23

I have my teeth jetwashed every six months. It uses bi carb at high speed and removes all stains at back of teeth and inbetween. Teeth feel great after, smooth and shiny and definitely look whiter. Cost 150 a time but its worth it. Dentist does a scale and polish as well. That can be a bit uncomfortable if you have sensitive teeth.

Aveline Wed 17-Aug-22 18:26:05

Ooh jet washed! Maybe I'll try running grinning through the car wash grin

Aveline Wed 17-Aug-22 18:26:44

Sorry. Lowering the tone.blush

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 18:29:55

You used to be able to buy peroxide mouthwash in Boots. It was subtle but effective, and cost pennies. It wasn't neat peroxide - something like 2%.

I tried to get some a few years ago and the assistant looked at me as though I'd asked for leeches. I think it went the way of kaolin and morphine and other generic cures, ie withdrawn in favour of much more expensive treatments.

lemsip Wed 17-Aug-22 18:32:22

Colgate do Peroxyl Mouthwash, available in Boots.

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 18:35:27

There is no peroxide in it (unless I am misunderstanding the ingredients list) and it is £5.30 a bottle. The generic stuff was about 30p.

I rest my case grin.