Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Really, really comfortable shoes… 👞

(170 Posts)
FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 09:41:01

Hello 😫

I’ve got terrible plantar fasciitis.
I’ve also got something called Frieberg’s Disease, which means one of my toes has a micro fracture, and it’s really playing up too.

I can only manage to walk around the house atm.
And not for long.

I like shoes with lots of squidge and a good sole.
I usually wear Uggs, but even they hurt.
I’m wearing very thick socks which seem to help a bit.

Any thoughts, recommendations please?

Oh, and has anyone ever had Emu boots?
How do they compare to Uggs?

Thank you

Nannylovesshopping Wed 01-Feb-23 09:54:15

When I had plantar fasciitis, still wanted to wear favourite shoes, obvs far too vain, was recommended inner soles, they were and are a lifesaver, called PRO 11 well-being, reasonably priced, maybe they can help you.

tanith Wed 01-Feb-23 09:57:41

My late husband suffered with PF for years and ended up living in Skechers they were the only shoe that relieved his pain enough for him to be able to work.

MiniMoon Wed 01-Feb-23 09:59:24

I've never had any Emu boots FannyC, but I wear Sketchers shoes and boots exclusively. I am prone to bouts of plantar fascists and I also have a tailors bunion on the joint of my little toe which rubs on other shoes.
My brother-in-law suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and his consultant advised him to wear Sketchers shoes as most of his patients found them the most comfortable.

Baggs Wed 01-Feb-23 10:03:30

I don't have PF, just fussy feet that are in pretty good nick. That part of my life that I don't spend in wellies or hiking boots, I spend in Birkenstock "Gary" shoes or "Bend". They both have anatomically shaped insoles.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 10:12:18

I don't think Uggs are very supportive, FannyCornforth.

Have you seen a podiatrist at all? Perhaps you need orthotic insoles.

I find Widerfit Shoes very good, some (not all) of their boots are soft and comfortable as well as supportive and not all are wider fit.
They do slippers too, in various widths.

DeeDe Wed 01-Feb-23 10:16:04

My Aunt swears by Emu Boots and Sketchers trainers
Wear boring sensible shoes
when young will avoid many foot problems when older, and young children should wear the cheapest shoes on the market, then throw out and replace size every few weeks …
My girls now 47 and 53 both have excellent healthy feet

Doodledog Wed 01-Feb-23 10:19:34

Doc Martens?

They are not as hideous to break in as they used to be - many style are soft leather, and there are some suede ones, too. Not all the styles are 'bovver boots' either - I have embroidered ones and various other feminine styles, and they do shoes and sandals as well as boots. They all have 'Airwair' soles, which are bouncy, and are very comfy when worn in. Spray liberally with shoe softener and wear around the house with two pairs of socks for a while, and when they have moulded to your feet they will be like slippers.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 10:21:02

Thank you all.
I’ve bought every insole and support sock going.
The socks make things worse.
Some of the insoles help a bit, but they feel so hard.
My feet are really sensitive - a bit like The Princess and the Pea.
I have been told that I will be able to have a steroid injection if it goes on for much longer.
But they are controversial because they can cause damage.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 10:22:11

There’s no way that I could wear Docs! I’d be shredded to bits.
I do love how they look though.

Sago Wed 01-Feb-23 10:23:25

If you haven’t already please look at acupuncture for the PF.
Mine was sorted in 1 session.
It was incredible.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 10:26:03

The orthotics made by the Podiatry Dept aren't hard like some that you buy.

The podiatrist also advised against Skechers but I do wear them indoors as they're more supportive than slippers.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 10:27:05

Deede I’ve always worn boring, sensible shoes.
My feet have always been sensitive.
I’ve never, ever worn heels.
I’ve obviously got an issue with my bones (what with my original hip being that of a 90 year old, ie 40 years older than me).
It’s athletes who usually get Frieberg’s.
I’ve never done anything even slightly athletic in my life

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 10:27:45

Thank you Callistemon, I’ll definitely go down the podiatry route

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 10:28:43


If you haven’t already please look at acupuncture for the PF.
Mine was sorted in 1 session.
It was incredible.

Oh wow! Yes, I will do. I’ve not heard of that.
I’m really pleased I started this thread, thank you

Doodledog Wed 01-Feb-23 10:29:54


There’s no way that I could wear Docs! I’d be shredded to bits.
I do love how they look though.

Up to you, but the new ones are not remotely the same as the old evil ones grin. Look on there website - they do soft leather styles too.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 10:30:08

They can make insoles to alleviate specific problems.

You'll have to go through your GP.
Good luck.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 10:30:52

I’ve got really narrow feet and a very high instep. That could be the problem with the PF

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 11:01:10

Fanny, I also have Freiberg's and my RA consultant suggested Sketchers trainers after orthotics didn't help.

Jaylou Wed 01-Feb-23 11:03:11

With Uggs you may tend to scrunch up the toes as you walk without realising it, leading to more pain.

I have been wearing fitflop shoes for years, and have just bought a pair of their slippers, so comfy, I wish I could wear them outside as well. You can get them off Amazon and send them back if not comfy. Don't pay full price, you can get good deals.

MawtheMerrier Wed 01-Feb-23 11:03:20

TG trainers with squishy soles are now acceptable foot wear anywhere (👏👏EMMA Thomason’s white trainers at Buckingham Palace)
Not sure I could get into “ normal” or smart shoes anywhere.
How pleased my mum would have been at the contents of my shoe cupboard.
(Emu/Uggly boots too flat for me )

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 11:03:46

My Freiberg's is due to osteoporosis and unhealed stress fractors. I have three we know of. In fact this morning my foot is extremely painful.
Where I live, you can self refer to Podiatry.

teabagwoman Wed 01-Feb-23 11:10:42

I was going to recommend Wider Fit shoes too but clearly not appropriate. I wear orthotics provided by my podiatrist which are quite soft. Trainers may be your best bet. When I was recovering from long illnesses and my feet were a problem my daughter took me to a running shop! They were lovely, my bunions and arthritic toes didn’t phase them, and sorted me out with a pair of really comfortable and supportive trainers.

Farzanah Wed 01-Feb-23 11:12:26

I can’t recommend a good podiatrist highly enough. My OH was going to give up walking, rambling that is, which is his main pastime because of painful feet.

He saw a specialist sports podiatrist (privately) had computerised gait assessment resulting in custom made insoles which have made a huge difference. He now regularly walks 8 - 9 miles with his chums, despite bilateral hip replacements. He can do stiles too!

Some off the shelf insoles/inserts may do more harm than good.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 11:15:01

I’ve got loads of trainers. Puma are my favourite. I also like Hotter trainers, the extra squishy ones.
It seems that I have run out of options and need to see a podiatrist or acupuncturist as Sago suggested.

Oh Mary! That’s something else we’ve got in common wink