Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

100% cotton knickers that don't show a VPL

(43 Posts)
Mazgg Wed 24-May-23 22:00:14

I am waiting to see a dermatologist about a skin condition I have developed on my bra line and round my waist and groin area, in other words the outline of my underwear. My doctor is unable to find a cause and treatment up to now has been unsuccessful. Can anyone suggest pure cotton underwear (not just cotton rich) in order to eliminate allergic reaction to man made fibers? I can't bear to see a VPL so would prefer 'shorts' style pants with the minimum of elastic.
This has gone on for 3 months now and the itching is driving me mad. I have even considered wearing mens boxers!

crazyH Wed 24-May-23 22:07:52

Mazgg I have a sort of a similar problem. I didn’t see any Doctor about it, but I concluded it was the elastic . I moisturise well and if it gets really bad, I take an antihistamine and that eases the itching. I’ll be interested to see what your Dermatologist says .

V3ra Thu 25-May-23 00:14:33

I had a similar outbreak.
Amongst other things I changed to a non-bio laundry liquid and stopped using fabric softener.
I agree that antihistamines help.

Shelflife Thu 25-May-23 00:46:13

I have had a very similar situation, I now wash all underwear separately from other garments , ( full wash not a quick wash) but no washing powder or wash pods / tablets - just water. This has made a huge difference, itching still happens occasionally but is greatly reduced, if it does flare up an antihistamine helps.

Mazgg Thu 25-May-23 10:50:47

Thank you for your replies. I take antihistamine for hayfever at this time of year. The first doctor I saw prescribed antifungal tablets and cream which made no difference, the second prescribed antibiotics, betnovate and a cream to wash with. Again, no improvement. The skin is dark coloured, shiny and hard like leather.
I have stopped wearing a bra next to my skin. When I need to wear one I wear it over a vest top. I have found some women's cotton boxer shorts on Amazon which I will try. I am left wondering if I am now unable to tolerate elastic. The process of elimination goes on.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 25-May-23 11:09:35

Sloggi are brilliant. More expensive than some but they last for years.

silverlining48 Thu 25-May-23 11:15:12

Underwear has to contain something for stretch so not sure there can be anything totally 100%.
If there is I might be interested too.

Caleo Thu 25-May-23 11:47:50

If you wear a loose pure cotton or linen vest or tee made of soft cotton and knitted (not woven) cloth you can tuck it well in under the breasts to absorb moisture.

Wendy46 Thu 25-May-23 11:51:44

I have a similar problem (eczema am allergic to elastic). Have found Damart pure cotton knickers helpful

harrysgran Sat 27-May-23 07:35:04

I have a similar problem the doctor prescribed derma base didn't help I have came across these on ebay I'm going to order fingers crossed 100% cotton

NotAGran55 Sat 27-May-23 07:43:15

Germanshepherdsmum

Sloggi are brilliant. More expensive than some but they last for years.

Sloggi have elastic around the legs which gives me a terrible rash all the way round.

I found some on M&S that don’t have elastic but they aren’t cotton. I have no more problems or VPL

www.marksandspencer.com/3pk-flexifit-high-rise-knicker-shorts/p/clp60486952?color=ROSEQUARTZ#intid=carousel_FUNH_AT_PHOENIX-SIMILAR-PERSONALISED_END_PDP_16_0:6e025666-53da-4e96-a12d-78d90f356666

Foxygloves Sat 27-May-23 07:48:21

Try drying the affected area carefully with a hairdryer set on “cool” then pat a little baby powder under your boobs, along the tops of your legs and around your waist- stand on a towel to do this) do not put your underwear on straight away, let things dry out and “air”.
It sounds like a fungal infection aggravated by moisture and if so possibly Fucidin might help.
DH suffered badly from this underneath a large incision hernia (think baby bump) and this worked for him.

Hetty58 Sat 27-May-23 07:57:38

Our family has various major allergies, including soap, detergent, latex (gloves, some elastics), fabric starches (on new clothes), conditioner (very bad) - and many more. Use an Eco Egg for clothes washing (full wash) and white vinegar as fabric softener.

If pollen sensitive, dry clothes indoors. Review your diet, too - as foods can cause skin sensitivity. (My granddaughter's allergy to cow's milk protein caused digestive and skin problems.) You can shower/wash with diluted bicarbonate of soda, then use diluted vinegar as hair conditioner.

Maybe, just make your own shorts from soft cotton, with a drawstring waist, but boil wash the fabric first.

Hetty58 Sat 27-May-23 08:06:34

(and) it sounds like a certain type of psoriasis, which can be treated with vitamin D cream.

lemsip Sat 27-May-23 08:21:14

Intertrigo. copied and pasted.
— Intertrigo is a skin condition that causes a rash in skin folds, such as under the breasts, in the groin, or in stomach folds.

canestan, clotrimazole treatments... google it.

Scribbles Sat 27-May-23 08:25:12

I can't make any helpful underwear suggestions but, to help ease the itching, Eurax cream may be useful. Available over the counter at pharmacies and online and SO gets it on prescription for his chronic skin problems.
Eurax.co.uk

Hetty58 Sat 27-May-23 08:31:50

Mazgg, I'd wait to see the dermatologist before trying the above suggestions for treatments - as you already have an allergy. No underwear is always an option, too.

Foxygloves Sat 27-May-23 09:16:30

lemsip

Intertrigo. copied and pasted.
— Intertrigo is a skin condition that causes a rash in skin folds, such as under the breasts, in the groin, or in stomach folds.

canestan, clotrimazole treatments... google it.

Thanks for the name lemsip
Intertrigo is a skin condition that can occur anywhere on the body where skin touches skin. Medical treatment and at home prevention can help clear the rash and reduce irritation.
Itv commonly affect the folds of the skin, especially when the skin is wet or sweaty. This can lead to irritation, inflammation, and even infection. Intertrigo, a common skin condition that can occur in the folds of the skin is characterized by red, inflamed skin that may be itchy or painful
Describes it perfectly. I had an outbreak along my bikini line scar beneath my tum a while back and what I suggested upthread (which was what had been recommended for DH) cleared it up quite quickly.

Mazgg Sat 27-May-23 11:24:52

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Intertrigo describes it perfectly. The first GP I saw prescribed antifungal pills and cream but it didn't help. I used 3 tubes of the cream before seeing a different GP who said she was flumoxed but prescribed antibiotics and a cream that could be used as an emolient or as a body wash. Again, no success. Full set of blood tests were o.k. The GP I saw last time took photographs to forward to the dermatology department of the local hospital and requested an urgent appointment. I am awaiting delivery of cotton short type knickers from Damart, similar to the one shown above on ebay.

Maude42 Sat 27-May-23 11:58:16

I know this sounds weird but I get an eczema type rash in my groin and on my bottom if I eat too many yogurts
Not sure if you eat yogurt but worth a try
Otherwise do Sloggi do anything hope you find something

JANH Sat 27-May-23 12:21:28

I have psoriasis under my bust and find that it can get sweaty and red. I ensure that I wash and dry (drying is the most important) every day and it has diminished. I don’t think that I spent enough time drying that area, previously.
I also have a kidney problem and am now on a low potassium diet. Yogurt is quite high in potassium, so wondering if that has an impact.
I find Sloggi a better fit and any issues with the groin area have now been eradicated.

Jess20 Sat 27-May-23 12:22:21

I've had the same problem, no longer wear a bra except over a cotton t shirt for exercise. I use long leg knickers now as it was around the leg openings I got the worst rashes. Step-one do bamboo but they do have an elastic waistband, which I roll over so it isn't touching my skin, an wirapa women's boy shorts, which do have Spandex but as they don't chafe or rub it's not been a problem. They also do some with cotton gussets. Also no vpl.

Jess20 Sat 27-May-23 12:24:14

If anyone knows where to get a 100% cotton bra I'd love to know, they all seem to have synthetic stitching and elastic which touches the skin.

Ktsmum Sat 27-May-23 12:27:17

Gilly Hicks do lovely cotton shorts

grandtanteJE65 Sat 27-May-23 12:35:18

Surely you can get pure cotton underwear anywhere? If not order online, but make sure there is no elastic in the leg openings as if it is an allergy it is probably caused by the elastic.

Dermatologist NEVER think of that in my experience, nor of the fact that perfumed washing powder/liquid soap could be the cause.

If all else fails, sew french knickers using cotton cloth and thread (difficult but not impossible to find) or silk cloth and thread, and do clean your sewing machine thoroughly, especially under the plate the needle goes through before you start sewing.

Most men's boxer shorts are poly-cotton not pure cotton - I assuredly could not wear DHs for that very reason.