Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

BE WARNED - M&S account holders

(35 Posts)
BlueBalou Fri 02-Jun-23 15:09:42

I am absolutely furious.
It seems that anyone can order something in store, to be collected in store, and when asked if they’re an account holder can say ‘No’ but x is and it will get put on x’s account.
I had an email to say that something had been purchased on my account, I was charged for it, to be collected from a local M&S.
It wasn’t me.
I phoned M&S who couldn’t explain how this had happened, refunded my money and cancelled the order. They advised me I had possibly been hacked and to tell my bank. The bank have cancelled my cards and will put a note on my account.
It seems that anyone who knows someone who has an M&S account can do this, all they need to say is that they don’t have an account but x does.
I am absolutely furious as well as having to spend several hours making numerous phone calls to try and sort this out.
I have closed my M&S account and deleted most of my saved passwords as suggested by the bank fraud department.
Be warned.
I await a response to my email to M&S HQ.

FannyCornforth Fri 02-Jun-23 15:13:01

Blooming heck! That’s bonkers!

Bella23 Fri 02-Jun-23 15:16:14

M&S need to liven up they are going to lose a lot of customers with accounts if this gets out.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Jun-23 16:15:02

To order anything in store for collection in that store you do not pay until you collect and decide to purchase the item, it is not possible to put the item on someone else’s account

To order online you need your card and account details if you have forgotten your password they send a reset your password link to the phone/email account registered to your account.

Sounds like you have been hacked, not M & S

Dinahmo Fri 02-Jun-23 16:23:36

I agree with GG13. I ordered some clothes from the French website (costs more bu shipped from the UK). They didn't arrive and I received an amail from M & S telling that my goods had got lost and they were refunding y money. It arrived the next day.

It does sound as though the OP had been hacked.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Jun-23 16:44:42

I don’t know how OP jumped to the (frankly libellous) conclusion she did. It’s not the fault of M&S. Her card has been hacked or cloned just as has happened to many of us with credit cards, but we don’t conjure up such ridiculous explanations.

Siope Fri 02-Jun-23 16:55:08

My card is saved on my account, and I pay at the time of ordering, not collection. If I used the card (I have other ways of paying), all I’d need to enter is be CVC code.

Still need to be hacked, of course, both my M&S account and my card.

crazyH Fri 02-Jun-23 16:55:14

GSM is right- my Credit Card was hacked and on one day 5 items plus were charged to my account. They were all to a building supplies company - the hacker was probably building an extension 😂fortunately, I check my online statement regularly so was able to ring my card company and get it sorted. Their fraud squad dealt with the matter.

Siope Fri 02-Jun-23 16:59:20

Ah, sorry, in store rather than online. Never done that.

Harris27 Fri 02-Jun-23 16:59:45

Same as me stope. Never had any bother but will keep an eye on this as I order regularly.

BlueBalou Fri 02-Jun-23 17:09:04

GrannyGravy13

To order anything in store for collection in that store you do not pay until you collect and decide to purchase the item, it is not possible to put the item on someone else’s account

To order online you need your card and account details if you have forgotten your password they send a reset your password link to the phone/email account registered to your account.

Wrong I’m afraid.
DH last week paid up front, in cash at the Bath store for an order to be delivered.
He was asked if he had an account and said no and then asked if he knew anyone else with an account and said DD. SHE got an email confirming his purchase.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Jun-23 17:12:45

BlueBalou

GrannyGravy13

Wrong I’m afraid.
DH last week paid up front, in cash at the Bath store for an order to be delivered.
He was asked if he had an account and said no and then asked if he knew anyone else with an account and said DD. SHE got an email confirming his purchase.

That is not M & S policy, the staff member was wrong and should be disciplined.

BlueBalou Fri 02-Jun-23 17:12:46

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t know how OP jumped to the (frankly libellous) conclusion she did. It’s not the fault of M&S. Her card has been hacked or cloned just as has happened to many of us with credit cards, but we don’t conjure up such ridiculous explanations.

M&S have accepted responsibility. Refunded me for the purchase.
My card has not been cloned or hacked, bank have cancelled as a precaution. Only M&S account is being accessed by someone else. I have earlier had an M&S delivery of an XL man’s tee shirt that I certainly never ordered let alone wanted! I rarely shop online or in person at M&S, their clothing doesn’t appeal to me.
M &S are investigating.

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Jun-23 17:41:10

crazyH

GSM is right- my Credit Card was hacked and on one day 5 items plus were charged to my account. They were all to a building supplies company - the hacker was probably building an extension 😂fortunately, I check my online statement regularly so was able to ring my card company and get it sorted. Their fraud squad dealt with the matter.

I had two credit cards hacked at the same time and several purchases were made.

Both companies were informed but M&S Bank was very difficult to deal with, put obstacles in the way and reluctant to proceed with the complaint. I finally got to speak to someone in the UK, days later, and correct procedures were then followed.
The other bank (Nationwide) dealt with it sympathetically, promptly and efficiently.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Jun-23 17:56:16

A refund by a credit card company of the cost of a fraudulent purchase is not an admission that they were in any way responsible or culpable. It’s happened to me twice, thousands spent and promptly refunded. First OP talks of a fraudulent order which was to be collected (as happened to me recently when my credit card was hacked and the fraudsters placed two click and collect orders with Morrisons, who I don’t use). Then she says an order which she didn’t place was actually delivered to her. This is indicative of her card details having been hacked or cloned and the person responsible not being too clever.

BlueBalou Fri 02-Jun-23 18:44:13

M&S isn’t my bank germanshepherdsmum
Why would they refund and admit their error?
I’m clearly not too tech savvy; either way I am horrified that on someone’s say so that M&S do no further checks. My DD was equally shocked that DH can just say that she has an account, nothing more, and emails get sent to her.
I presume I can tell M&S I don’t have an account but my friend A in Edinburgh does and then she gets sent an email saying what I have purchased and paid for in cash?
It doesn’t make sense to me at all!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Jun-23 19:33:22

It’s nothing to do with them being a bank. As with any other credit card company, if someone has used your card fraudulently you will receive a refund.

Louella12 Fri 02-Jun-23 19:35:32

BlueBalou

GrannyGravy13

Wrong I’m afraid.

That really could not have happened.

Louella12 Fri 02-Jun-23 19:36:09

BlueBalou

M&S isn’t my bank germanshepherdsmum
Why would they refund and admit their error?
I’m clearly not too tech savvy; either way I am horrified that on someone’s say so that M&S do no further checks. My DD was equally shocked that DH can just say that she has an account, nothing more, and emails get sent to her.
I presume I can tell M&S I don’t have an account but my friend A in Edinburgh does and then she gets sent an email saying what I have purchased and paid for in cash?
It doesn’t make sense to me at all!

It doesn't make sense because it didn't happen.

Marydoll Fri 02-Jun-23 19:49:06

Anytime I have ordered a Click and Collect from M&S, I have had to pay upfront, using my M&S account and paying by credit card. I then receive an email confirming my order. If I don't want the item, I then have to return it to cash desk for a refund.

I must admit to being really confused here.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Jun-23 20:04:46

BlueBalou

GrannyGravy13

Wrong I’m afraid.

Paying cash up front for an order to be delivered isn't the same as ordering in store for an in store collection. I wonder why they didn't simply ask for his email address to send the confirmation straight to him?

BlueBalou Fri 02-Jun-23 20:05:54

Sorry Louella, it did and I have seen the email. Exactly as I said.

BlueBalou Fri 02-Jun-23 20:07:32

That’s what I don’t understand Rosie51.
Why not just send to his email?
Anyway, I no longer have an account with M&S and no intention of going through this again.

MerylStreep Fri 02-Jun-23 20:09:38

BlueBalou
When M&S asked your husband if he knew someone else with an account, why didn’t he say my wife.

Louella12 Fri 02-Jun-23 20:19:10

So who had the other person's account number? If this situation had happened (which it couldn't have) the M&S member of staff would have needed the account number.

It is impossible for someone to do this. In today's world everything is digitised. There is no way someone could rock up to M&S order something and say that someone else in the family has an account. It wouldn't be possible.

My DD was equally shocked that DH can just say that she has an account, nothing more, and emails get sent to her.

I'm not sure what this means.

This is all heading into the bizarre.