Gransnet forums

Technology

Computers

(38 Posts)
Exwirecutter Mon 09-May-11 14:13:56

Anybody want to talk computers ? If so I'll bore you to death as I am a " Geek " ( i.e. computer speak for nut case ) L.O.L. :-)

EricSmith Sat 19-Nov-11 12:04:31

I am currently using an old banger of a PC, (eight years old, 512MB RAM), which would not even work with Windows XP, (but Windows Millenium would be OK. though that would not support many of the applications I need.)

However it works quickly and efficiently with a Linux Live disk, in this case Puppy Linux 5.2.8. Download Puppy from:
www.puppylinux.com
Burn the iso file to a CD/DVD as an image not as a copy. Leave in the drive and reboot the computer. The Puppy Operating System will load, and will work well enough to give you a good idea of its potential, though it can be improved by reburning the iso using the Puppy application Burniso2cd, so that the configuration and changes you make can be saved onto the DVD. Try it with an old banger first, as you could find yourself deleting files that you need.

When you get the hang of it, you will be able to add to the applications available, including a full office suite.

HilaryCME Fri 18-Nov-11 17:06:12

Has anyone bought a computer and access to the Internet via the Getonline project , or via any similar project which says they provide cheap computers for those on benefits? They look excellent schemes, but I wondered if the access to the Internet they offer actually works OK?

I run projects for older people, (when I can get the funding) and would like to know if the pcs and Internet access promised by these projects works OK for older people who haven't owned computers before.

The Getonline project is one of the links from Gransnet - I found it under "technology" or "computers". I am a skilled pc user and have plenty of equipment myself, but I often work with older people who say they can't afford a pc - same for iPAds , tablets etc, & I generally recommend that they seek a new pc, (laptop , tablet ) rather than taking over an old clapped out machine which is being offered to them by sons/daughters with no technical support to get it online.

Views on these cheap kit schemes, please!

TrickyDay Fri 21-Oct-11 13:28:47

A good tip for just browsing the internet and avoid all temporary files and cookies then check out the free software called Sandboxie.

TrickyDay Fri 21-Oct-11 13:22:16

Sarah2000h
Hi, it looks to me that your browser has gained some unwanted add ons. To check - in your browser go to tools - manage add-ons - then remove any unwanted tool bars, search engines and accelerators. (most of them are rubbish anyway). Good luck

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-11 12:30:30

It might also be getting slow because you have a lot of temporary junk that has not been cleared out. you can get an application called Ccleaner (crapcleaner to give it its full monniker) from Ccleaner.com (or maybe from Tucows, who have free downloads of all kinds of things, with star ratings from users.

That lists all the stuff on your drive that you could safely delete, and does it neatly for you. I use it once a week and it clears out internet caches, empties the recycle bin (today that contains 402642 kb) and so on.

AngeTheHippy Fri 21-Oct-11 12:21:12

pinkprincess - do you have any anti-MALWARE s/ware installed on your PC? Malware can be just as harmful as Virus. Malwarebytes is a freebe, I've used it for years. It scans the same as anti-virus, but picks up different types of infection. It could of course be malicious code someone (probably a 12-year old...) has managed to add to Google links (eg Facebook) OR, did it start playing up after receiving email? They also can contain little nasties - ensure your anti-virus is guarding your inbox. Might be an idea to

1. Take your PC back to the last known good performance (system restore) and
2. Do a full anti-virus scan.

AngeTheHippy

pinkprincess Fri 21-Oct-11 00:32:50

Thankyou Elegran I have been back on the group and lo and behold another person had trouble with the site.She got a security warning when she clicked on it.The site owner has apologised but while I wished her the best of luck I told her I would not be risking visiting it.

Butternut Thu 20-Oct-11 20:29:35

Has anyone tried Google+ yet? I'm a fan.

I've just mentioned on another thread that their 'conference' video calls are really good. I've just had a three way video call with one son in America, one son in London and I live in France. It's terrific. ;)

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 19:15:54

pinkprincess The site does not need to be unsafe to send your PC into paroxysms. Some sites use masses of fancy graphics and text and clever stuff, and if you have a slower machine to start with it can be so long downloading it, it gives up before it is finished. Somewhere there is a way to set how long it tries before calling it a day.

I remember years ago, when I had a much more basic machine, and a few sites were just beginning to have those moving animations that make you feel seasick. I clicked on a link to one which had a background of repeated images of gyrating mermaids, with flashing text in front of that and various other moving bits. It downloaded about the top inch and then stuck, a little strip flashing and gyrating merrily away to itself while I went through all the bad words I could think of. And that was not a big commercial site but someone's lovingly home-produced home page. I never did see all of it.

Charlotta Thu 20-Oct-11 18:43:06

gangy5 I don't know how to start sorting out your Windows problems as I have an Apple myself, but you could de-install Explorer and try Firefox which is an excellent slimmed down browser. If that is too risky then download Firefox as well as a lot of people have two browsers on their computer.

pinkprincess Thu 20-Oct-11 18:34:37

My PC does not seem to like certain websites.I am in a group on face book, and another member posted a link to a website she has just created.I clicked on the link and my PC went crazy.It froze then crashed. I managed with alot of difficulty to come off the internet.When I logged on again this dam site was still there, lurking in the background. I got a mesage saying this site was running a slow text and was affecting my PC. After fiddling about I managed to get rid of it.
I then went onto FB, went onto the group and put a complaint about the site to the owner.She sent a reply to say she could not understand why her site was causing my PC to crash as she had had no similair complaints.She went on and on about the number of grateful people on it and implied I was out to cause trouble.I replied assuring her I was not a troll or a trouble maker but was just trying to get on her site.I also said I would not be trying the site again because of my PC's reaction to it.She was not happy but I no longer care.
I have had this problem before when clicking on what I assume are safe links.Some people just make me mad.I use Windows 7.

AngeTheHippy Wed 19-Oct-11 19:49:18

Sorry, just read further - you have XP...

AngeTheHippy

AngeTheHippy Wed 19-Oct-11 19:46:35

sarah2000h - If your PC is still slow(this is an old post), first get RID of Norton. Waste of money. I've been computing almost 20 years, and certainly since the beginning of the Internet. I've NEVER paid for my anti-virus software, the one I currently use and is on 2 Laptops and a PC is called Avast! (with the exclamation mark at the end) .

You don't say what OS your using - XP? Vista? Windows 7? Anyway, if you hold ALT/CTRL/DEL you will get a small window pop up called 'Task Manager'. Click on the 'applications' tab and that will tell you what your currently running.

Any more help, just reply.

AngeTheHippy

Exwirecutter Fri 05-Aug-11 11:45:21

Well to be quite honest , I was up to date with geek talk up to a few years ago , but things seem to have raced ahead of me and am having problems keeping up . Its a case of advancing technology versus declining brain cells.

grannyscalpay Thu 04-Aug-11 16:44:53

Sure. I'm a bit of a geek myself, though not nearly as knowledgeable as I would like to be.

maryjane Thu 21-Jul-11 02:59:11

I have changed over to a mac book lap top which is really great. Just wondering if anyone else has one and good give me some tips please, as I feel I am not using it to full advantage,

mischief Sat 18-Jun-11 18:29:13

I totally agree with the last thing Exwirecutter said.

I was on 02 and I only got 2MB max even though they said I would get 'up to' 8MB. However, for the last 6 months I only got about 500kb, not enough to run a bath.

I complained to 02 and they allowed me 2 months free of charge.

Meanwhile I went on to a website called DaveKnows and looked up my local exchange and found that the only ISP that has 'unbundled' there is TalkTalk. I therefore knew I was never going to improve my download speed with 02 unless they unbundled but they had no plans to do so.

My choice was BT or TalkTalk. I have not heard anything good about TalkTalk so I went with BT and now I get 6GB regularly and, as long as I don't watch TV on the computer any more (nothing uses the download allowance quicker) 10GB a month suits me fine.

DaveKnows is a really interesting website and very informative.

Exwirecutter Thu 16-Jun-11 16:06:51

Anyone having problems with slow page loading could always try a different browser , say , Firefox for example . During a Windows update they included a browser choice option so choose one of those . They are all free and if you don't like them just delete or don't use them . Most let you transfer your bookmarks .
Also check your broadband speed using one of the free testers , and if it's not what you expected , complain .

gangy5 Mon 13-Jun-11 10:14:04

It could be your (ISP) Ineternet Service Provider. I have recently changed from AOL to Plusnet and it's made a real difference with my download speeds.

sarah2000h Tue 07-Jun-11 18:06:52

Many thanks for your answers about the slow running computer. I've tried both and the problem seems to be Internet Explorer. I get a message from Norton security software saying that iexplore.exe is using 90-100% CPU. I've upgraded to IE8 but can't upgrade to IE9 as my computer runs under Windows XP.
I don't know if anyone else has any ideas?
You are right that a slow computer is better than no computer and I do hesitate to change things but sometimes it runs so slow that I can go and make a cup of tea and it still hasn't loaded a page.
All the best
Sara

gangy5 Tue 07-Jun-11 16:01:39

DESPERATE FOR HELP!! I hope a 'techie' here can help me. I've been here since this morning with my problem. I recently upraded to to Internet Explorer 8 and since have been unable to 'copy and paste' Has anyone got the same problem. I've trawled the net for a solution and have tried everything.

toothfairy Mon 06-Jun-11 18:17:00

I have Windows Vista, can i upgrade to Windows 7?and how to go about it.

Elspeth Thu 19-May-11 19:56:50

I recently bought a Samsung notebook to replace my ancient laptop that couldn't hold a charge to save its life. I was looking forward to spending time in our newly revamped garden, happily surfing or watching DVDs under the parasol. Unfortunately, the screen is highly reflective, so most of what I see is me. hmm

I've now ordered an anti-reflective/anti-glare thingy which I hope will reduce the problem. Then I can spend time in the fresh air and sunshine. Cue the wettest summer on record.

nanny1 Thu 12-May-11 00:41:02

thanks milliej

milliej Wed 11-May-11 22:34:26

I was told not to leave the battery in all the time as it permanently recharges and it shortens it's life! I've just got my third and my laptop is nearly six years old, depends how often we use them of course! My new one lasts about two hours. Got it from Amazon on line cheaper than the local computer shop by £15.