Gransnet forums

Technology

Would it be possible, please...

(17 Posts)
Dordor Thu 28-Jul-11 12:45:57

Thank you Baggy and GeraldineGransnet. If I was a better technowhiz I could make a manual of my facial expressions - ooh scary (that's the first one).

Gally Tue 26-Jul-11 11:47:25

Oh Jangly - why are we so slow?
It's easy when you know
how to use these thingies
what are down below
grinwinkshocksmilehmmconfusedblushangrysadenvywinebrew

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-11 11:24:34

Mumsnet has a glossary of abbreviations but we weren't sure whether they'd be used on Gransnet and we didn't want to start off cliquey, so we didn't include. But if they are being used and people would like translations, we can provide (you might have to tell us what they all are...) Not sure we can include a manual to Dordor's facial expressions, though sad

Baggy Tue 26-Jul-11 11:11:11

dordor, DH dear husband, DS dear son. Take it from there. Guessing usually works! Did for me anyway wink

Dordor Tue 26-Jul-11 11:06:43

I need a manual please. You can't see my facial expressions, nor my hand waving, and I too am guilty of the overuse of exclamation marks. I had no idea that there were symbols to use to induce boldness and italicisation. Oh, and I'd like the manual to include translations of DH and DS and so on, please.
Thank you
ooh, it works!

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 10:26:08

All this time I've been carefully putting asteriks round each word! And its really tricky! Durrr!!!

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 10:24:37

See. If there's no problem, I invent one! hmm

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 10:23:49

blush

grin

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 10:23:10

hello hello hello

Baggy Tue 26-Jul-11 10:21:16

jangly, it's easy to get whole phrases to come out in italics. you put the ^ at each end of your phrase. Ditto for bolding except it's the * of course. You don't need to ^^ or ** each separate word.

absentgrana Tue 26-Jul-11 10:21:14

jangly You need only insert the appropriate marks at the beginning and end of the phrase for it to be typed in italics or typed in bold etc. You don't have to put them around every individual word.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:13:31

jangly in the post above, I typed asteriskthis is a testasterisk and it all came out bold. So what you're asking seems to be done already - or have I misunderstood?

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:11:37

this is a test

greenmossgiel Tue 26-Jul-11 09:48:37

I feel the same Gally- I have to go back to pull some of those out, because it makes me appear over-excited!! (Oops!) grin

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:46:33

Exclamation marks were made to be used!!!

Don't worry!

grin

Gally Tue 26-Jul-11 09:39:26

Good point. I tend to use a lot of 'expression' in my head and find I use too many !'s and "'s which, when I read it back look quite ridiculous !! grin

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:27:15

to make it so that whole phrases come out in italics or bold.

Its very difficult to get the symbols round each separate word.

Perhaps you could put it to Tech.

In a few weeks time.

Thankyou.