Gransnet forums

Technology

I-Pad or Notebook

(54 Posts)
Rosiebee Fri 26-Aug-11 14:59:32

We're going to America in January for a month, travelling around and we want to keep in touch with family through emails and photographs. We're considering buying an i-pad or possibly a notebook to take with us. We only need a basic machine - not interested in playing games or editing videos etc. We've looked at reviews of notebooks online but to be honest I don't really understand all the specifications they talk about. Has anyone any recommendations?
Thanks, Rosie.

shysal Tue 20-Sep-11 21:44:39

I think the reason I like Angry Birds is that I could work out how to play the one I downloaded. It has a catapult to fire the birds at head-shaped targets. It also gives hints on the way different birds behave when you touch the screen while they are in flight.
Other games I downloaded give no instructions and I just can't work out what to do. I expect the grandchildren will help me sometime.

Annobel Tue 20-Sep-11 20:32:23

MaggieP, my 3 and 6 year old GSs taught me to play it. Just use the catapult...grin

MaggieP Tue 20-Sep-11 19:44:51

In addition. I looked on the Apple store and there seem to be lots of free Angry Birds to download, so advice please from the expert ones already playing! Do I need a lesson to know how to play??

MaggieP Tue 20-Sep-11 17:35:17

Just joining in this thread and I love my iPad too. We are Apple converts in a big way , husband now has an Apple Mac and we cannot believe how quickly the Internet works and responds to a light touch!
I had my iPad in July and find it difficult to leave alone. Since then, one son and two friends have bought one and are as enthusiastic.

Acheron Tue 20-Sep-11 11:54:40

I love Angry Birds but I'm quite hopeless. I am a sucker for other iPhone/iPad games as well. Irritates the life out of my husband even when I have the sound off.

Ariadne Tue 20-Sep-11 06:25:18

Yes, you can download audio books on to the iPad. There's also a great Kindle app, though it is terrifying how quickly you can buy and get a book!

And of course everything syncs, so you get it all on the iPod too, but can choose whether to keep things on there.

Angry Birds - I was quite scornful about it, then thought I'd just try it......hooked!

Hattie64 Mon 19-Sep-11 20:06:46

Can you download audio books on a IPad. The Guardian are offering free downloads of John Le Carre books at the moment, I have a Ipod, but can't really download all the books on that.

shysal Sun 18-Sep-11 19:08:46

Try Angry Birds at your peril! You will become hooked. One advantage is that I have less time to snack between meals. I lost 2lb last week!

janthea Sun 18-Sep-11 13:44:15

I love my iPad!! I also have a netbook but it doesn't compare to the iPad. I haven't tried Angry Birds. Is it as addictive as it seems to be?

Grandmacool Sun 18-Sep-11 09:47:28

I have only heard good about the iPad. A friend of mine bought hers in the States as it was much cheaper as in europe and the UK. Maybe you should look into this before you purchase one.
Have fun with whatever you decide to get.

Ariadne Sun 18-Sep-11 09:19:45

I love Angry Birds! Have to ration myself too.

Annobel Sun 18-Sep-11 08:57:45

shysal - Angry Birds is one of my secret vices - not so secret any more! One day, on a short train ride, my GSs, who were using their dad's Touchpad, showed me how to play it on my phone. A young man sitting opposite was splitting his sides at the sight of granny competing with a 3- and a 6-year-old. I am currently stuck on level 13 grin. The phone screen has its limitations.

shysal Sun 18-Sep-11 08:15:17

Solved my queries by accident this morning, touched on the word 'web' and a drop down box appeared including the option to print.
I have never played a computer game before, but downloaded free 'angry birds' and can't leave it alone, even more addictive than Gransnet!

yogagran Sat 17-Sep-11 23:22:47

Why don't you "Google" your question - I'm sure that there is an answer somewhere out there.

shysal Sat 17-Sep-11 09:19:35

I have managed to obtain a bargain - priced hp touch pad, which I am loving. Can anybody tell me how I ask it to print a web page, as there is no tool bar, or control P option unless the keyboard is displayed. I expect I am being thick! confused

Rosiebee Fri 09-Sep-11 21:06:33

I've just been looking at the hotels we're staying in and it seems as though the WiFi in your rooms has to be paid for [about $15 a day in San Francisco] but it's free in the lobby and in public areas.
There are some great travel forums on Trip Adviser,linked to wherever you are staying, where you can ask questions like that.
smile

Acheron Fri 09-Sep-11 15:33:42

It varies from hotel to hotel. I take my iPad to the States but I always check that the hotel has WiFi and if it's free. All Starbucks have free WiFi though so you can always drink a lot of coffee.

peteinbarry Fri 09-Sep-11 11:31:20

I am interested in the answer to the original question. If I take my iPad to the USA, a wifi only model, will I be able to use it can one get wifi all over the states. Some hotels here in UK want to charge upwards of £5 a day.

Rosiebee Tue 06-Sep-11 17:43:56

Well yogagran DH and I watched the programme and sadly don't feel that they did a good job of explaining cloud computing. The presenters really didn't help did they? Just because it's a show about Gadgets, shouldn't mean that they have to show off their 'whacky' personalities. I'm fascinated by what can be done with all the new technology, I just want someone to assume the viewers have a modicum of intelligence and explain new ideas in a straight forward manner.
BTW, we bought a Samsung netbook this morning, upgraded to 2GB and DH has spent all afternoon playing, sorry that's sorting it out.
Thanks for all help.
Rosie smile

yogagran Sat 03-Sep-11 13:32:23

gigabyte's are huge helpings of fattening things and so we need to be on the diet thread as well smile

Glad to be of use sbagran

jangly Sat 03-Sep-11 09:36:31

confused

I have just read this thread.

You are all amazingly clever!

Doesn't anyone else just ask their son?

Isn't it what they're for?

Who needs to know what a gigabyte is???!!!

Is there such a thing?

Sbagran Sat 03-Sep-11 09:18:28

Yogagran you are a genius! I went through the link and bingo!
Thank you so much for your help - once again Gransnet saves the day! OK it wasn't that life threatening but we have just moved home and are having to keep emailing the agent with various problems etc (rented through an agent!) and it does look odd if it looks like I emailed at 6am!!!
Really appreciate your help clever clogs! grin I have trouble knowing what day it is these days and certainly can't spell my own name without looking inside my vest!

Jacey Fri 02-Sep-11 20:55:36

Thanx yogagran ...I watched it ...have a headache now ...noise/high energy/fast pace/gimmicky!!
However ...GoogleChrome Books and clouds ...are definitely not for me ...I'm certainly have no wish to be at the front of cutting edge technology ...and have everything waft away into the ether! confused
I shall continue to check out netbooks and make sure I've got a good memory stick with me. smile

yogagran Fri 02-Sep-11 18:28:08

I'll have to record it because the TV sends me to sleep...!

Rosiebee Fri 02-Sep-11 17:41:20

Thanks yogagran, just set it to record. Will probably have to watch it twice to get my head around it! smile