Gransnet forums

Technology

HOW DO I ?

(69 Posts)
Woody Tue 06-Sep-11 21:18:46

Get those smiley faces etc onto my message? Thanks.

Ganja Tue 18-Oct-11 16:46:29

Ok jinglej and Josie, I'll try that and see how it goes. Not sure bookmarking is quite as simple on an iPad. Incidentally, I see this has been running on Site Stuff since May!!

Ganja Fri 02-Dec-11 08:11:15

How do I find the various web chats that people come on and do? Do I have to be on GN at the specified time? I put down a question for Oliver James, and would love to see if he answered it. Don't quite understand the whole concept. Help please.confused

grannyactivist Fri 02-Dec-11 08:30:46

None of the Christmas smileys work for me. [fconfused][fsad]

Carol Fri 02-Dec-11 08:42:27

Hi Ganja just use the bar at the top which allows you to look at 'I'm on' 'last hour' 'active' etc and you will catch up with who's chatting about what in no time. Start another thread by choosing the 'topics' where there's lots of choice and you often find someone else has already had something to say on pretty much everything that you might want to comment on. Good luck x

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Dec-11 10:46:38

Hi Ganja

Sorry it hasn't been all that clear! We put transcripts of all of our webchats (where someone comes onto GN at a particular time) and Q&As (where we send them the questions and they send us their answers back at a later date) on www.gransnet.com/webchats

The Oliver James one is here www.gransnet.com/webchats/oliver-james
Hope he answered your question!

The Christmas smileys are not quite up at the moment - just a small blip we hope, they should be up very soon.

Ganja Mon 12-Dec-11 08:34:34

How do I delete an entry on the I'm On thread?

Could I say while I am on the Tech stuff thread how beautifully designed Gransnet is. I found myself on Mumsnet the other day, my iPad is rather flighty and tends to flip about, and I thought it was very BUSY. Gransnet is so calm and elegant. I love the soft green and violet it uses. I worked on magazines many moons ago and loved hanging out in the art department learning about layout and type faces. tech did you get a chance to hear Radio Four's Book of the Week last week? Just My Type, all about the history of fonts. Half way through the first chapter I put it on my Christmas Wish List!
thanks thanks thanks

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Dec-11 10:15:32

Hi Ganja,

It's not currently possible to delete one of the threads on 'I'm On' - it's just a list of the threads you've posted on, so it can't be changed.

We could look into adding this facility if lots of people think it would be useful - does anyone else think this would be something they would like?

Thanks so much for your kind words about the site. We hope that the 'small but perfectly formed' feeling remains as we grow!

We'll make sure we pass on your recommendation to Tech - it sounds really interesting!

Gally Mon 12-Dec-11 10:22:46

Yes, I think it may be a good idea for those occasions when the fingers on the keyboard run away before the brain has gone into operation!! grin

Carol Mon 12-Dec-11 11:11:06

Are you thinking of Christmas and all those little tipples that may loosen our tongues Gally?

Butternut Mon 12-Dec-11 11:40:37

There are times when I think it would be nice to delete a post I've just made - but not often, so I'm not sure. I find it a very in the moment kind of thing, on the whole, which is what I enjoy about it.

...and as for those Christmas tipples carol, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one......wink

Gally Mon 12-Dec-11 13:22:18

Well yes Carol - that's more than likely or a 'Senior Moment', of which I have quite a few grin but I do agree with Butternut that it is what you think at that particular moment so why change it unless it offends. Could have the option though.......

Butternut Mon 12-Dec-11 13:51:16

I've just gone blue shock

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Dec-11 15:45:35

I was really talking about the ability to turn off the 'I'm On' facility rather than the ability to delete posts.

We think it could get very confusing if folks were able to delete posts, and it makes it hard to see what's going on. (For example - "I agree with x's post" would make no sense if x deleted their post).

You can always email GNHQ if you're really unhappy with something you've typed - and we'll always consider it carefully.

Ganja Tue 13-Dec-11 08:19:53

Josie Don't think I explained myself very well. I wasn't trying to delete things I said, it's just that the Oliver James is no longer current, so I wanted to delete it from my I'm On thread to make way for all the others I am still on. It would all be there elsewhere for people who wanted to go back to it, just not on my ongoing stuff. And, no, he didn't answer my question!

Ganja Wed 21-Dec-11 23:12:48

I'm not sure this is the place to be asking, but how do I find the lyrics to Wherever You Are. Endless articles about how we will all be inspired by the words, not if we can't find them we won't. As an ex-Military Wife I would like to sing along in solidarity. Can anyone help?.confused

Annobel Wed 21-Dec-11 23:35:22

I think they are trying to get you to buy the sheet music! I can't see the lyrics anywhere on Google. You might just have to listen carefully and sing along when you't memorised it! Memo to self - download it!

grannyactivist Wed 21-Dec-11 23:38:35

Here are the lyrics Ganja

Wherever you are my love will keep you safe
My heart will build a bridge of love across both time and space

Wherever you are our hearts still beat as one
I hold you in my dreams each night until your task is done
Light after darkness my wondrous star
Our hopes and dreams, my heart and yours, forever shining far
Light up the darkness my prince of peace
May the stars shine all around you
May your courage never cease

Ooh,

Wherever I am I will hold on through the night
I will pray each day, a safe return,
will look now through the light
Light after darkness my wondrous star
Our hopes and dreams, my heart and yours, forever shining far
Light after darkness my prince of peace
May the stars shine all around you
May your courage never cease
Courage never cease

Ganja Thu 22-Dec-11 08:20:01

grannyactivist Thank you SO much. They do make me feel chokey, just like the Last Post and DH's Regimental March. I hope lots of Gransnpetters will see them here and download the song. If it does make Number 1 it will make me feel a lot better about this country, so thanks thanks thanks

Ganja Thu 22-Dec-11 08:28:04

JosieGransnet Can you put a link somewhere prominent so that lots of other people can find this? I have no idea how to do that, but I think people might like it.thanks

bikergran Thu 22-Dec-11 08:40:26

Gally I too have had probs with photos and did mention it a few weeks ago..and I think Tech was going to look at it...I too only have the "delete" right at the bottom of the page...to get round it I just deleted each photo as it came to the bottom of the page , then put new photo/s up. (maybe Gransnet can only take sooo many photos of ME!!!! LOL lol lol )...lol..grin

bikergran Thu 22-Dec-11 08:44:44

Ganja if you Google you song/verse etc eg: Cliff Richard (summer holiday) then you should find any verse/lyrics/songs etc..I think? (don't know why I choose that song ha ha .....we may all be humming it all day now! lol

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Dec-11 09:48:05

Hi Ganja,
Not sure what we can do to make these lyrics in particular more prominent, but why don't you start a new discussion about the song if you'd like to talk to people about it?

Ganja Mon 26-Dec-11 20:43:43

Could someone please tell me how to delete a book from my Kindle when I have read it? All these Xmas offers are just too tempting!

Carol Mon 26-Dec-11 21:00:18

Ganja go to Home Page and scroll onto title, then press right side of scrolling button to reveal page 2 of your list of titles, which will have some choices below Add to Collection, the bottom one of which says 'Remove from Device'

Ganja Tue 27-Dec-11 08:59:53

carol Thank you for replying so promptly, but I now realise I asked the wrong question. It's not actually a Kindle, but the Kindle app on my iPad, so your instructions did not work. Can anyone else help?