Gransnet forums

Technology

Broken tumble dryer.

(6 Posts)
crimson Wed 07-Dec-11 21:34:19

My tumble dryer is broke. It's a condensor one, and a light tells me that the water bottle is full, but it isn't, therefore it won't work. It'll cost me a fortune to call someone out to look at it and [possibly] repair it, so I'll just buy a new one. It's ridiculous; only 4 years old....I don't want to consign it to a landfill site when it should have years of life left in it. Bet it's only a small part that's gone as well. Given that we have it drummed into us about energy conservation, recycling etc, why is it no longer cost effective to repair things? But, our consumer society doesn't want that, I guess.

Carol Wed 07-Dec-11 21:41:17

That happened to me a couple of years ago Crimson. I got someone out to have a look and he wanted a small fortune but he mentioned what the part was so we went searching on the internet. The part I needed was found on the Partmaster website, and we got another repair man out to fix it. It cost me £90 but a new condenser dryer would have been over three times that. Mine is a Zanussi.

Carol Thu 08-Dec-11 08:14:26

www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?section=67146

Here's the link, Crimson. You just choose your own make of tumble dryer and it provides hundreds of choices. Hope it works out for you.

susiecb Thu 08-Dec-11 08:58:36

I found a local man who doesnt charge call out juts parts and labour have a look in you local paper there might be one near you.

crimson Thu 08-Dec-11 20:50:35

I've fixed it! Bit of cardboard, string and a bucket with a big rock we brought back from Lyme Regis 25 years ago. All those years of watching Blue Peter were NOT WASTED. Hurrah! wink Now feel £200 better off and have a desire to go on a shopping spree....

Carol Thu 08-Dec-11 21:05:47

Wow! How impressive are you crimson? I can't begin to imagine what you did with those rudimentary tools, but it's obviously done the trick.