Gransnet forums

Technology

If you had no internet...

(31 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 01-Oct-16 14:33:46

I have to say that it's really got me thinking about the number of elderly/disabled folk who don't get out much and don't have internet access and what a difference it could make to their lives. I think iPads/laptops and internet connections should maybe be available on the NHS to such people. smile

hildajenniJ Sat 01-Oct-16 14:23:49

I'd be lost! I keep in touch with family and friends. Research recipes, shop, look for crochet patterns. I think that the only thing I don't do is banking.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Oct-16 14:12:19

Oh, and congrats on the forthcoming trip - how exciting!! wine

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Oct-16 14:10:01

Yep, all the above. Plus Mumsnet, entering competitions, constant googling to check whether famous people are still alive, cashback sites, Tripadvisor, researching holiday destinations, checking what's on locally, journey planning, comparing prices....

On the other hand, I'd have a lot of time to do other stuff (a bit of housework wouldn't come amiss grin).

ninathenana Sat 01-Oct-16 13:58:00

All of the above smile

grannyactivist Sat 01-Oct-16 13:53:41

.....what would you miss most?
We've had internet problems for a few days so I couldn't get online. Fortunately I've been very busy with work so it wasn't too much of a disaster, but I realised how dependent I've become. In addition to the obvious: email, Gransnet, FB, news, iPlayer catch up etc. I book travel, check maps, make purchases, read my local newspaper, book GP/health centre visits and do my banking - all online. It was only three days or so, but I really have felt cut-off.

The Wonderful Man has finally tracked down and fixed the problem so I have just booked a trip to NZ to visit our granddaughter on her 2nd birthday!! Yippee!

Now to see what's been going on in the world whilst I've been away from my source of knowledge. smile