Gransnet forums

Technology

Help Idiots Guide please? Android phone, how to listen to books or podcasts

(8 Posts)
vidoy Sun 15-Dec-19 17:51:28

I like to read. I read a lot. I like to read different books online.

Gfplux Sun 27-Oct-19 20:59:24

For podcasts you need a podcatcher app.
I have downloaded to my phone BEYONDPOD.
You find it in the Google Play Store.
Open the app and you can search for podcasts.
An example you may like is
BBC Drama of the week.
Good luck. If you do it let us know how you get on and if you need any further help.

midgey Sat 24-Aug-19 12:26:15

Try BBCSounds app, that leads to podcasts and all sorts of goodies! It is easy to download.

seacliff Sat 24-Aug-19 11:15:46

Thanks for the info, especially B9exchange. I already had Overdrive on my laptop as Suffolk Libraries use it. So now I have Libby on android, and have listened to part of my first book. Relatively painless, amazingly!!!! I do try and do these things but often 2 or 3 options come up, and then I'm not sure which to accept.

It is great using the library online. The books are automatically returned after 3 weeks so no fines. You can reserve a book too.

I haven't tried audible yet. I thought there was a charge unless you have Amazon Prime? Finding free podcasts - that is the next step.

Just have to try and find my headphones now!

crystaltipps Fri 23-Aug-19 21:23:46

Can you get audible? Amazon app for audio books. Podcasts - you can get free ones from BBC Sounds , again you need to install the app.

HildaW Fri 23-Aug-19 20:13:46

This is why I have a Doro 'granny' phone! smile

B9exchange Fri 23-Aug-19 18:53:03

I've never used Overdrive, but looks like you have to install the app from Playstore on your phone, do you know how to do that?

I found these instructions on the internet, ignore the Suffolk bit (unless you live in Suffolk!) Good luck!

Setting up OverDrive
On a smartphone or tablet with the Libby app

Download and install the ‘Libby, by OverDrive’ app from the App Store, Google Play or Windows Store
When the download is complete, press ‘Open’
When the Libby app opens, press the green/blue button that says ‘Hi!’
A new page will appear. Scroll to the end of the page and select ‘Find My Library’
The app will then try and find your local library service – this takes a few moments. When the app has located a local library service it will ask you at the top of the screen ‘Is this your local library?’. At the bottom of the screen you will have an option to select ‘Yes’ or ‘No’
If it has located Suffolk Libraries, press ‘Yes’. If it has located a different library service, press ‘No’
If you have pressed ‘No’, a new screen will ask you if you want to search for your library service. Select this option
Type in the box ‘Suffolk’
The app will automatically bring up matching libraries. Select the first option shown, ‘Suffolk Libraries’. You now have access to the new Libby OverDrive ap

seacliff Fri 23-Aug-19 16:26:52

Can anyone help please? I now want to start walking for my health, and thought that listening to audio books or podcasts would make it more appealing. I am not good on technology and don't know where to start, even though I've tried googling.

I have a Vodafone Ultra 6 which is about 2/3 years old. I do read books online on my tablet, from my library, they use Overdrive. Devices compatible with OverDrive are
Smartphones: any that run in iOS 9.0 or later, Android 4.4 - which I think my phone is.

Also I assume I download a book, then when I've read it I must delete it, otherwise it will take up too much space on my phone? Not even sure where to find it, to delete it!!! Any help much appreciated.