Gransnet forums

Technology

Computer breakdown

(27 Posts)
Fennel Mon 13-Apr-20 19:05:06

Tragedie!
As if we don't have enough problems. My 'puter seems to have given up the ghost at last. After a few warnings.
Thankfully we have a spare one as husband recently bought himself a new one. But it's a pain transferring all my websites.
Husband is good with 'puters, but can't always spend the lengthy time needed to sort things out. The spare one is still loaded with all his stuff.
But I've managed to get back onto dear Granset via their daily emails to my Outlook hotmail page, which is linked to my husband's.
As someone once told me, you can get used to anything, but this is very difficult.
So many changes within a short time.
There's still the telephone.

cliford Sat 23-May-20 02:05:30

A PC breakdown can mean the loss of significant work, valuable photographs and different issues.
kodi.software/
nox.tips/

Daisymae Sat 23-May-20 07:23:15

Lost everything last year. Had to pay someone to recover the data and it's still in a muddle. The back up was not updated. blush

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 23-May-20 09:09:38

We changed computer (pc) yesterday the worst part was crawling around under the desk trying to sort out all the cables, phone cables, router cables, HiFi system cables, desk lamp cables and then all the various bits and bobs for the actual computer.
Sadly the dusting fairy seems to have missed the area under there.
Sorting out the actual computer was a doddle compared to the mess of cables.
I told DH to go and play with his iPad whilst I got on and sorted it all out, unless he was able to just hold the torch.
We need a house with power points 4 ft above the skirting boards.

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-May-20 09:19:09

Ooopsadaisy I have but I still have cables everywhere. Although some are neatly tied I think they still look awful.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 23-May-20 09:30:13

Charleygirl at least I’d be able to see the blasted things! I was crawling around with a torch feeling around to see which cable went with what appliance and all that dust!
I was shocked (guilty) that the dust was so awful...

Pittcity Sat 23-May-20 09:31:18

I use Google Chrome. You can sign in to Google on any device and all my bookmarks (website links) are there.
Personally I like the blank canvas of a new PC , a bit like clearing out a cupboard.
Gransnet is simple to access by typing Gransnet.com into the address bar....as long as you can remember your password.

Nellie098 Sun 24-May-20 08:44:13

I had the same problem this weekend and had to take my pc to be repaired as it firstly came up with a critical crisis message then just kept asking for a disk. Thankfully it only cost me a few bob and when my repair man told me what he had done, if I had pushed the right buttons I may have been able to fix it myself. Anyway try the following if you have a Windows pc, but you will need a little patience and you will need a usb stick, cd or dvd.
On your working computer go to www.hirensbootcd.org and download the free programme for Windows. (it comes up with a different company name but can't remember what). It is a full recovery programme for Windows. If you can't see the download then it may be that your adblocker or virus is blocking it so check and allow. Then on your old pc put the usb, cd or dvd in the machine and turn on immediately pressing F12 . It should then allow you to run the information from you usb,, cd or dvd. If not try again pushing F2 and delete at the same time. This brings up the bios. DO NOT ADJUST THE BIOS IN ANY WAY IF IT WON'T RUN, just try again. At least it's worth a try.

tanith Sun 24-May-20 09:02:02

I had always used a PC until my DH bought me a laptop and I found i used the PC less and less and then I discovered iPad and honestly nowadays my PC is long gone (no more wires or desk or dust bunnies lol) and I hardly use my laptop as everything I need is done on my iPad.
I’m just curious and assume there are things that you are all doing that are PC specific.

Nellie098 Sun 24-May-20 12:02:03

I was raised on Windows and it is a life choice. However there are 2 things I love about my p.c.
1. Size matters. If I was younger I probably wouldn't worry so much but I have a large monitor and it is a joy not to have to squint at a tiny screen, although I appreciate that some i-pads are 10 inch. I have enough problems when out with my mobile.
2. Posture. I can sit comfortably in my chair and everything is at the right level so I don't end up with pain in my neck and back. How many people are bent over their mobile devices?
There are numerous other reasons I use my p.c. i.e for programmes I want to try out and I run multiple browsers. However I certainly wouldn't turn down an i-pad if someone wanted to buy me one as I think they are very useful in today's world.

grannysyb Sun 24-May-20 13:23:46

We've had a lot of problems with ours, we each have different email addresses, and DH has lost his a couple of times. He cracked and took it to a local firm who did a temporary fix, apparently they need it for a week to clean it up! So I will have to join my Zoom meetings on my phone. It will be worth doing as although I'm not particularly computer literate, he is worse than me and gets really frustrated when things go wrong.

Westcoaster Sun 24-May-20 13:32:27

DH's pc broke down a few weeks ago, no warnings, just dropped dead. SIL has it now and will try to fix it or at least get the data off it.

I've been forced to share my pc in the mean-time. grin

It's a sad time all round for DH … no football and no pc! Luckily the weather has been good and he can spend his days in the garden!!!

jeanie99 Wed 27-May-20 03:12:38

Having had many break downs with my LENOVO computer, (avoid like the plague).
Had to return it twice to Germany it was away weeks and then came back with pop ups and malware on it.
I have four external hard drives and thank god I have, two went down this week.
Thankfully Seagate have agreed to replace both as they are still in warranty( only just).

Sang15512 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:19:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

johnalen Wed 04-Nov-20 10:13:19

Sang15512 Tue 05-Jan-21 13:58:02

mabelgoodrich Fri 23-Jul-21 05:37:00

This is really hard time when you have no alternative ways. So, breaking down laptop or PC creates a lot of things to do like as transferring data, files, videos and movies! It damaged the way of communication with the social medias and other platforms for example this flirtymania.com/ja.html site that helps people to get connceted with the world.

Charleryals Sat 21-Aug-21 04:16:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

LtEve Sat 21-Aug-21 04:50:42

Reported

BlueBelle Sat 21-Aug-21 04:53:37

My desktop went years ago ….to a laptop and my laptop is unused for about four years since I discovered …. Drum roll ….an iPad, big enough screen to easily see and work on ( even with my miserable eyes) but so so handy and always on hand in bed, in the chair, in my handbag, no cables nothing tethering me to the table and iCloud looking after my valuable photos etc

grannylyn65 Sat 21-Aug-21 09:13:52

I find the word ‘puter’ Extremely annoying

missourisusan Sat 04-Sep-21 18:11:54

Did you know you can adjust the size of the pointer on your computer. It wasn't that I couldn't read the type but I kept loosing the pointer-it was too small.

Blossoming Sat 04-Sep-21 18:18:33

Tanith I’m a Mac lover, and iPad is my machine of choice for most things, and MacBook for the rest. However, I was a software developer until I retired at the beginning of 2020. My job required me to work on a number of platforms so I also have an iMac, a Windows desktop and a Windows laptop.

keyline Sun 17-Oct-21 19:26:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

monissa33 Tue 30-Nov-21 13:26:42

Hello! I am a computer software developer... But I'm still in my second year of college. Can you tell me more about your bugs with the computer? I would like to develop some method to detect bugs at the stage of software development.