Gransnet forums

Technology

Passwords = the bane of my life

(45 Posts)
Grammaretto Sat 16-May-20 19:53:36

How do you manage your passwords?
I have just tried to log on to watch a TV programme and I have been locked out for 30 minutes for having too many goes
Everything you sign up for wants a password.

Then at the other extreme we can spend a lot of money contactless far too easily in my opinion.
What's the answer?

Jane10 Sat 16-May-20 20:18:19

A wee notebook Gramaretto. Keep it in a safe place but at least it's a record of the many passwords required these days.

MiniMoon Sat 16-May-20 20:21:17

My phone manages my passwords.

That doesn't stop me having to reset them from time to time. A few days ago I had to reset my password for Ebay. I was using the one I always use, but it wouldn't accept it.

Marydoll Sat 16-May-20 20:23:41

Yesterday I tried to pay my M&S credit card bill. As soon as I logged on, I was directed to their new app, which is installed on my phone. However, it asked for my fingerprint, then didn't recognise it. Initially, I couldn't get the keyboard on my phone in order to key in my alternative passcode. A code was then sent to my phone and I then had to enter that before I could even view the statement.
Then I tried to use my debit card to pay the bill. Usually it goes straight through, but not this time. It asked for my bank account secure code, I fished my code out and it wasn't accepted. ? I KNEW it was correct. I then had to reset it and make a new one. Three times, I made three passwords, three times they were rejected. Half an hour later, I managed to pay the bill!!!

Tomorrow, as requested by Virgin I have to change the sim on my phone. I have put the whole day aside to do it! I don't expect much success.

NanaandGrampy Sat 16-May-20 20:48:44

I use a Password manager ( Dashlane ) . I use the premiym
Version which syns across all devices so change one and they all change . It has triple encryption and I’ve been using it for several years now without issue . It also has an auto fill option and can generate very secure passwords for you .

welbeck Sat 16-May-20 22:19:45

this is one of the reasons why i don't do anything financial online.
i couldn't cope with it, and i don't trust it enough to feel secure.
when bills are due i ring up and pay with debit card on automated system. i find that easiest for me.
as for passwords that are not risky as to financial matters, eg this and similar sites, i see no problem with writing them down, also the computer offers to save and insert them.

Grammaretto Sat 16-May-20 22:21:54

Oh Marydoll your problems make mine seem trivial!
Good luck tomorrow.

NanaandGrampy Glad to hear this method has worked well for you. I would be worried that it would be easy to hack into. then none of the passwords would be secure,

Grammaretto Sat 16-May-20 22:28:40

I have had a Flickr account since it began . It was Yahoo so I opened a yahoo account. A few years later I forgot why I had a yahoo account and cancelled it only to find I could no longer see my photos. I opened a new yahoo account but was still locked out of my original one.
Now to see my photos, and all the family photos, I have to log onto Yahoo (and remember the password) and then log onto Flickr (and remember the password)
Life used to be so simple.....

Evie64 Sat 16-May-20 22:35:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grammaretto Sat 16-May-20 22:51:13

Evie64 ooh How horrible. My paypal account was hacked into and someone removed a few £100 from my account. I noticed it quickly because I didn't have that amount in the account.
However I was disappointed that although Paypal paid back the money, it took them at least a month and meanwhile none of the direct debits and standing orders could be met. I was very annoyed and vowed never to use Paypal again....but I have done in the hope that they have better security these days.

Evie64 Sat 16-May-20 23:00:14

Thanks so much Grammaretto. I'm utterly outraged that the Police are not pursuing her. My bank account and card were blocked for a week until my new card came through today. It's left me feeling very vulnerable to the extent that I will not update my new card details for all those websites that I have used in the past, Sainsburys, Morrisons, eBay etc.

Grammaretto Sat 16-May-20 23:12:51

Evie64 I am cross on your behalf. What are you supposed to do?
Now that we are encouraged not to use cash either, we are more reliant than ever on this technology that we have to trust because what is the alternative.
I remember my chequebook was stolen years and years ago and when I saw the cheques which were supposed to have been signed by me, they so obviously were not!
Luckily, I lost nothing because my account was empty already. Tip: never have much in your account!

Pittcity Sun 17-May-20 10:08:08

I second using Dashlane. Most bank sites won't accept passwords filled in by it though. I use fingerprint recognition where possible and also have important passwords, memorable words etc written in a notebook in a sort of code eg. Gransnet would be G------t

Luckygirl Sun 17-May-20 10:18:20

It's not just the passwords that are a pain. Every time I enter any website I get the message about cookies etc. and have to open it and make my choices (mostly b****r off!) and then get back to the site; and when I get there an option to open an account or provide feedback etc. pops up. And so it goes on........I just wanted to have a quick peek at a new vest!

TerriBull Sun 17-May-20 10:30:32

Yes always forgetting them. Of late having to order more on line, supermarket shopping, include a food related word in the password and for Boots a word connected to hair products. I don't really manage them, the only option is to keep changing passwords for safety's sake, hence can never remember, except for a couple.

Missedout Sun 17-May-20 11:02:12

Another vote for Dashlane here. I only need to remember one complicated password. I agree that autofill doesn't always work but can copy and paste (clipboard is cleared after 30 seconds so no trace remains on device). I keep lots of notes in Daslane too. These include answers to security questions, and how I access accounts.

Fingerprints don't always work for me but there will be a time when other forms of security will make passwords old technology. Perhaps not for a while though.

Roses Sun 17-May-20 11:15:12

I absolutely hate passwords

Alishka Sun 17-May-20 17:56:41

passwords...grrrr.
At Xmas, my Us family bought me a new Apple ipad and a really nice cover which was delivered to me.I live in England.
First, choose a wifi network. Tick.
Second,enter password associated with this. I DON'T KNOW! 20 + years ago when I bought my laptop, and I CAN'T REMEMBER IT! Keep trying increasingly more random words, but no-go.
It remains unused.grrrr again

Grammaretto Sun 17-May-20 18:46:58

How I sympathise. Being locked out of your own sites is the rudest thing!

I think it is possible for a techie person to find a way to get in, to bypass the passwords, so Alishka don't be locked out forever.

Marydoll Sun 17-May-20 18:53:28

Alishka, if you have a router from your internet provider, chances are it has the default network name and password printed right on the router's label somewhere (look for SSID or ESSID, and WPA, WPA2, etc.). This only works if you haven't changed the default login information.

Or speak to your internet provider, about your wifi password, they should be able to help you.........unless you have forgotten the security questions for your account!

fionajk42 Sun 17-May-20 19:03:43

I use Dashlane, which keeps track of login details and passwords, as well as your address and phone number to help fill in on-line forms automatically. It will generate passwords for you which are hard to crack, and will alert you if there has been a data breach at any of the sites you use. I got my subscription several years ago, so I pay a reduced rate, but if you fill in lots of login details and personal details, then it's worth it. There are a couple of other competitiors, RoboForm is one I think but have never used it.

fionajk42 Sun 17-May-20 19:06:42

I just looked at my most recent communications from Dashlane, and they are offering a 90 day free trial during Corona virus. See here: blog.dashlane.com/making-the-most-of-working-remotely/

Sussexborn Sun 17-May-20 19:15:39

I’ve found recently that if I put the correct password in three times it finally gets accepted.

phoenix Sun 17-May-20 19:23:43

Like some others, I keep a book (one of those index ones) and note the passwords in that.

Yes, I know we are advised not to do it, but honestly, how else should we manage?

Password managers are ok, but sometimes I'm using my tablet, sometimes my phone, sometimes the desktop computer!

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 19:27:47

My laptop (I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome) just conveniently reminds me to save passwords. If I can't remember one, a right click brings up the saved passwords - so never a problem. In the past, I'd write them in the phone book, disguised as rather weird names and addresses!