Gransnet forums

Technology

New laptop recommendations.

(12 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sat 15-Jan-22 06:52:26

I am going to PC World to look for a new lap top so any recommendations would be very gladly received. Thank you.

Humbertbear Sat 15-Jan-22 08:00:01

I would ask if you really need a new laptop? I bought an iPad Pro with a keyboard case and it does everything I want. Plus I can take the iPad out of the case and slip it into my bag for travelling.

robew Sun 13-Feb-22 13:47:26

Hey, what laptop have you finally took ? I need recommendations too.

Blossoming Sun 13-Feb-22 15:16:37

An iPad Pro is considerably more expensive than a Windows laptop though.

Dell XPS 13 is a good mid range buy.

muse Sun 13-Feb-22 15:56:04

I was wondering too robew as it's a month since BigBertha1 posted.

I already have a decent laptop (MacBook Pro) but my DH uses it more and more. His Dell Tower is ancient and need too much of my attention. I had one of the first iPads just over 10 years so fancy looking at seeing what the iPadPro can do.

Dibbydod Sun 13-Feb-22 16:19:09

Can’t beat having an Apple iPad , it’s a good all rounder - have not used my laptop in years as can do everything I want to on my iPad , has an enormous amount of apps to use including photography/ night sky / radio / games ect ect. , it’s also convenient to watch TV when cwtchd down in bed and to pop in my handbag when I go out .

welbeck Sun 13-Feb-22 16:46:53

anyone else can advise me please.
i am completely ignorant and find it all baffling.
will need a new laptop. this one is v old, was a cast-off.
i don't want an ipad.
i just need basic functions, i watch youtube, do emails and lots of research, also known as looking up useless information.
i don't play any games or do artwork.
and don't have much money. living on savings...

Blossoming Sun 13-Feb-22 17:55:48

Welbeck you can get an Acer Swift for around £350 that should do everything you want. They also do a Chromebook that is cheaper but I’ve never used one.

Grayling Sun 13-Feb-22 18:12:38

Blossoming I have an Acer chromebook. Recommended by my DSIL who is very tech savvy. My DS also has a reconditioned one which was less than half the price of a new one and has given him no trouble over the past two years. My DGS (12yrs) was also issued one by our Regional Council over two years ago. It is a modern version of my one and he loves it so all-in-all I would recommend Acer.

Blossoming Sun 13-Feb-22 21:05:39

Good to know Grayling. Having recently retired as a WFH software developer I have a houseful of tech but never had any reason to use a Chromebook so good to hear from a satisfied user. Not everyone needs the all singing, all dancing expensive kit and those Chromebooks look good value.

welbeck Mon 14-Feb-22 03:43:18

thank you

Spice101 Mon 14-Feb-22 04:12:33

I have an Acer as well. Not sure which one the box just says Acer 3481. I'm happy with it and it is fast to do most things.

I also have an iPad which I pretty much only use for short time browsing and storing my reading material on.