Gransnet forums

Technology

Parking using Ringo

(15 Posts)
NanKate Mon 27-Jun-22 07:41:56

I signed up to Ringo in order to use it when parking, but as yet haven’t used it. Yesterday all the parking meters were down but I didn’t know how to use this new app on my mobile. Does anyone here use it? Help !

Sara1954 Mon 27-Jun-22 07:48:09

My daughter put it in my phone when we got to a station, with no other means of paying.
Like you, I was a bit concerned I wouldn’t be able to get the hang of it, but it is so simple, I love it when I get to a car park and see the Ringo logo.
It knows where you are, so you just check the number on the sign in case there may be more than one in the vicinity, your registration number is saved, then you just select how long you want.
Sends you reminders when your time is coming up, and if you aren’t ready, you can top it up
Simple

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 07:49:27

Whenever I need to, it’s very straightforward. I take it you have registered your car model, colour and reg already (saves time) and your card details. Then all you have to do is find the (wretched) sign that tells you the location you want to park in. I have been known to need to go looking for that! I like it because I can extend my parking time without going back to a meter.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 27-Jun-22 08:01:45

Oxford station car park used to have Ringo but changed to Apcoa. My car is registered on it and I have OH’s car on there too. Works a treat.

Cs783 Mon 27-Jun-22 08:12:37

Signed up when I had to (a station car park, no option) now it’s a boon. Benefits when you’re registered, as Maw wrote. Like many things, doing it for the first time is the trickiest ?

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 10:12:21

My one regret is that not all car parks use the system which can mean trying another number and starting the whole process with another company or scrabbling around in your purse or bag for £1 coins!

NanKate Mon 27-Jun-22 12:08:19

Thanks folks. I went step by step, as suggested by you, and voila it worked a dream. It was useful that my mobile text me with the details.

Only 2 downsides. It cost 30p more than using my card in the machine. Also I can’t get the Sainsbury’s voucher. But heyho whenI’m in a strange car park I will definitely use it.

??

SueDonim Mon 27-Jun-22 12:36:56

Ringo is very easy to use. The car park number is often on the side of the parking meter, I discovered, so check you’ve fit the right one.

Our local council now only accepts cards/online payment and they use another app, which is so difficult to use. hmm If you don’t have a phone (or it’s out of charge) you can’t park!

mrswoo Mon 27-Jun-22 16:31:26

Ringo is very easy to use once you have registered with them on the app. The best bit is being able to top up payment and exend your parking time from your phone without having to physically return to the car park to do so.

TopsyIrene06 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:00:57

Easy to use. If I can do it anyone can!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 10-Jul-22 11:43:48

I signed up for it and looked eagerly for a chance to use it. However, not available where I thought it would be offered like a large car park adjoining supermarket and local hospital. This kept happening and then lock down occurred and I started to shop online. Recently got a text from them saying that I needed to go into app to say I still wanted it otherwise I would be Ringoless. The trouble is that when we needed to park on our way to Dorset everywhere wanted a new parking sign up.

MawtheMerrier Sun 10-Jul-22 11:46:29

Given that is free to have the app, I would definitely keep it - you could always reinstall it at a future date but I found it a fiddle to reload even when I changed my bank card details and then (also) my car confused

AreWeThereYet Sun 10-Jul-22 13:04:22

We have it to use when we have to but the one time we used it we got charged extra, so don't use it unless there is no other option. Only extra 20p, but that adds up over the week and parking charges near us are expensive enough.

Daisymae Sun 10-Jul-22 13:38:03

I have used it in the past. Went to a carpark this week and it was cash only. I only had a note so no facility to pay though you could use Ringo. Except there was no service. I wandered around trying to get a signal but eventually gave up and went elsewhere. Then they wonder why people shop online. What a palaver!

Rosieroe Sun 10-Jul-22 22:21:34

Not Ringo, but another parking app. I had no loose change to pay at the meter in a local council run car park so thought I would download and use the parking app which was suggested on a poster at the meter. Then discovered that the hourly charge was more than double if using the app. than it would have been paying cash.