Gransnet forums

Technology

Need some printer advise.

(16 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Tue 22-Nov-22 00:27:47

I now need to replace my old printer and have been looking for what I need. Firstly, I need an air printer, secondly a wi connection hopefully a USB port. I also want a little window on the front to touch different things like wi fi set up, copy etc.
I need to print from iPad, iPhone and Mac. Then I need to be able to copy as my old printer gave up on that and I have had to pay to get copying done. Lastly, I really want a simple set up as my elderly brain isn’t what it used to be. Can anyone help?

Lovetopaint037 Tue 22-Nov-22 00:30:10

Ps My last printer was an HP Office Jet Pro 6970.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 22-Nov-22 00:31:37

Thank you.

Chestnut Tue 22-Nov-22 08:35:45

I would probably browse Amazon and Argos to see the specifications, star ratings and comments of each printer. It will give you an idea of what's around. If you can go into a local branch of Curry's (used to be PC World) you might find someone to talk to and can tell them what you want. The young men at PC World were very helpful (years ago) but I don't know if that still applies. The last one I bought was a Canon printer from Argos in 2015.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 22-Nov-22 09:46:18

Thank you for your post. I have been looking on Amazon and every time I find one that looks okay I find it is an Ethernet connection. I have had an HP one which has fitted the bill. It is an inkjet pro and works with the wi fi as a set up.However, it is difficult to find the same connection now. Also really need ApplePrint.

MissChateline Tue 22-Nov-22 09:51:57

I’ve recently bought a Cannon TS5351 from Argos. Prints from my iPad, Samsung phone and Microsoft laptop. Connects through Wi-Fi. Reasonably easy to set up and lurks inconspicuously in a corner of the room. As always ink is almost more expensive than a bottle of perfume!

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Nov-22 10:13:02

Here's a few options:
www.printerland.co.uk/best-printers/best-printers-by-compatibility/best-airprint-printers/37266

IamMaz Tue 22-Nov-22 11:39:46

I have had an HP printer for years, that I think fits your bill but it’s probably not made now. (HP 5530 e)

But what I wanted to suggest is that you buy one in the HP Envy range. It means that you NEVER have to buy any ink cartridges because HP send them to you automatically when they are getting low. I’ve always preferred HP printers and this option is just a no-brainer.

Hope this helps!

Tizliz Tue 22-Nov-22 13:32:38

IamMaz

I have had an HP printer for years, that I think fits your bill but it’s probably not made now. (HP 5530 e)

But what I wanted to suggest is that you buy one in the HP Envy range. It means that you NEVER have to buy any ink cartridges because HP send them to you automatically when they are getting low. I’ve always preferred HP printers and this option is just a no-brainer.

Hope this helps!

I have an HP envy and it is Wi-Fi and prints from my iPad, it scans and copies. I pay £2.99 a month for 50 pages of printing and the ink arrives via post in plenty of time. Set up was easy. I bought it for £39 in Amazon’s Black Friday sale 3 years ago to replace a very expensive Cannon which I could not get spare parts for.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 22-Nov-22 23:37:35

Thank you soo much for all your suggestions. I now have to investigate all of them. I was getting tired and bewildered by so many. So thank you all so much.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 06:02:53

I don't do a lot of printing and there was always a problem when I did (inkjet or laser). Now, I just save stuff to a memory stick and trot to the library for any prints or scans.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 23-Nov-22 19:27:01

I have at last found one that appears to only need wi fi so no Ethernet and gives me 4 inks. It is the HP Jet Pro 7720. It appears to have been around for awhile as there are over £2,000 reviews on Amazon. I went for it in sheer desperation. So thank you all for being so very kind as to answer.

Marydoll Wed 23-Nov-22 19:32:23

I too have an HP Envy and pay a monthly ink bill, £3.49.
It seems to fit your requirements, OP.

When I was teaching, if possible I always ordered HP printers for the school. I called them the workshorses, they were still going strong when newer printers gave up.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 30-Nov-22 10:40:24

Unfortunately my HP Jet Pro 7720 isn’t compatible with HP inks which is very odd.

NotSpaghetti Wed 30-Nov-22 23:50:07

lovetopaint - is it because it has "dynamic security"?
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05310148?docNotFound=true

Marydoll Thu 01-Dec-22 08:27:53

My HP Envy does not allow refilled or generic cartridges, but does allow me to use the HP ink service. So I guess it may have Dynamic Security.