Gransnet forums

Technology

Constant videos on this site

(39 Posts)
Allsorts Mon 30-Jan-23 07:39:00

Since updating my I pad it’s been constant advertising on Gransnet. My settings are the same. Every day a different topic. Today it’s a video of a mother breast feeding her baby. Every page, you can’t escape them, it’s impossible. Tomorrow it could be cars, it’s stopping me coming here as I used to, if it continues I won’t bother anymore.

Calendargirl Mon 30-Jan-23 07:42:51

This has been mentioned a lot on another thread.

Like the OP, it only seems to have become an issue for me since I had a recent update on my I pad. Up to then, when others grumbled about the ads, I felt quite smug as I never got them.

Pride before a fall,

Redhead56 Mon 30-Jan-23 08:08:49

It’s advertising pushchairs /prams on my iPad this morning yet another day of irritating pop ups.

Yoginimeisje Mon 30-Jan-23 08:14:07

I hate them too! I always get rid by hitting the little X and scroll down to hide the big one in the middle, they are sooo annoying! Why would grandmothers want to see a young mum breastfeeding, and the other ads are just as unapplicable to us, not that I listen or look longer than to get rid of them, soo annoying!

Yoginimeisje Mon 30-Jan-23 08:17:09

All the ads are for mumsnetters not gransnet, why are they bothering to put ads on that have no interest or use to us here, It's ridiculous!

NanaBabs1 Mon 30-Jan-23 08:24:03

Someone on the other thread recommended a free app, called adguard, which I downloaded onto my iPad. It worked immediately. It’s brilliant, very straightforward to set up.

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Jan-23 08:33:57

Today it's a video on morning sickness!

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 08:44:04

I’m sorry to be pedantic - but they aren’t even adverts!

As some of asked on the other thread: What exactly is their purpose?

I wouldn’t mind if they were ads, I’d now that they were keeping the good ship Gransnet afloat.

And the ones saying ‘Join Mumsnet’, why?
We are already on your site.

I just don’t get it confused

Iam64 Mon 30-Jan-23 08:55:08

How do we stop these tedious vids

EkwaNimitee Mon 30-Jan-23 09:02:08

I don't get them on my iPad....yet, but do on my iMac. I prefer to use the latter as it's easier to touchtype on the keyboard. They are seriously seriously annoying and distract me from reading the adjacent posts. I don't understand why we get them on here as they are totally irrelevant. Lots of complaints from us but no action on the part of GN!

eazybee Mon 30-Jan-23 09:20:43

There have been numerous complaints about these videos, distracting, patronising and impeding comment writing but Gransnet resolutely refuses to remove them or admit why they are showing them. Obviously some financial deal they won't admit to, displaying a contempt for the membership.

JaneJudge Mon 30-Jan-23 09:28:33

I get the woman breastfeeding and the midwife one
today it is three women in the corner but it's on mute so I don't know what it is about
now it has just changed to scones

JaneJudge Mon 30-Jan-23 09:29:46

it looks like they put a can of pop in the scone recipe
now an ad about smartspace
now google pixel 7

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 09:31:26

We’ve special Gransnet ones now!
This one is showing us how to do our makeup.
If you click on the video you can get sound on.

There are actual ads embedded in the videos.
The one I watched was for a car of some sort.

So there we have it.

I’m afraid it looks like we are stuck with them

Yammy Mon 30-Jan-23 09:51:12

At the moment I am getting how to look ten years younger yet if I go to gransnet advice on makeup for older ladies they haven't changed the advice in Years!!!! They also want me constantly to change gransnet to Transnet have they got plans for us we don't know about. Are we going to see a lot of cloned ladies who if they follow the advice are going to be recognisable when out? I can just see the scenario, whilst shopping someone creeps up to you and whispers, "I see you're using the too-thick CC cream you must be on Gransnet too."Or maybe they think we are all going to Trans, so they can take the hair removal article off.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 09:54:35

There is absolutely no way that they are going to get shut of them now that they have produced all of these videos and signed up advertisers.
To put it bluntly, we’ve got to just put up or push off.
I’ll be putting up smile

aggie Mon 30-Jan-23 09:55:03

I don’t get these videos on my iPad , but on my phone , where the screen is so small that they really are a nuisance!

aggie Mon 30-Jan-23 10:01:37

That’s daft , you don’t screw the cutter into scone dough ! You need to push it straight into the dough or they won’t rise properly
So they are disinformation!!!

BlueBelle Mon 30-Jan-23 10:02:29

The thing is it’s totally counter productive as even if they put proper ads up I would purposely ignore them
They are a horrible irritant and I m pretty sure GN will lose customers
I guess we could join the rest of the country and go on strike

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 10:18:32

This is ‘Anne, the Gransnetter from Tunbridge (68)’
I wonder who she is.
Own up Anne! smile

Also, the GN logo has changed.
I think that they’ve removed the kids and made it look more suffragette-y

MawtheMerrier Mon 30-Jan-23 10:21:18

I think I vaguely remember somebody admitting to be the”made over” gran, quite a few years ago. But I may have imagined it.
I get the videos on my phone, but not my iPad, both set to Desktop site.
No rhyme or reason 🤷‍♀️

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 10:28:14

There are a few different women having their makeup done, in Anne’s case ‘for a glamorous occasion’, they are new videos.

I wonder what else the videos will feature?
They could have asked us what we would like

Delila Mon 30-Jan-23 10:32:20

That’s an interesting point, Calendargirl. I also recently updated my iPad and these nuisance videos have been appearing since then, never before.

Granny23 Mon 30-Jan-23 10:35:47

I am glad I do not suffer from a flood of adverts and videos - I never get any on Gransnet. I do have an adblocker on the laptop but nothing else special.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 10:35:57

I have an Ad-Blocker and have never seen any unwanted videos here!