Gransnet forums

Travel

Driving trip

(8 Posts)
ridasa Sun 08-May-11 21:37:35

Hello - My husband and i are driving from France through Spain to our place on the Algarve over two weeks. Can anyone recommend nice places to stay or visit or reasonable B/B's or hotels. Has anyone done this trip?
Thanks.

Valkyrie Mon 09-May-11 08:59:01

There is a reasonable chain of motels in France called 'B&B'. We've used them lots of times although had one bad experience at Avignon so won't be going there again. If you go to their web site, you'll get a list of all their hotels. Some are called 'Holiday Inn' and tend to be a bit older and a bit run down, just depends what you're prepared to put up with.
Cheap and adequate might be the best way of decribing them.

GadaboutGran Thu 21-Jul-11 17:53:20

We've just returned from an 1800 mile round trip to visit son in Bavaria. We had 12 days for the trip with 4 nights (3 days) with him. We saw some wonderful places but had to curtail our overambitious plans as too much driving AND sight-seeing is exhausting. Luckily the memories of places visited remains longer than the exhaustion. We found it best to stay at least a few nights in one place & making use of autobahns more than planned was a welcome releif to being stuck behind slow lorries on pretty routes. We also changed our plans to stay for 2 days (3 nghts) within striking distance of the ferry. We had discovered how enchanting north Luxembourg was so made that our final R & R destination.

We booked an Etap for the first night, other hotels via tripadvisor and a site giving reductions. It's hard judge standards - excellent or very quirky, but that's part of the experience. Do take a travel kettle - as many don't have hospitality trays. Having some control over food & drink is essential if you want a good cup of tea, cheap DIY breakfast or cuppasoup in an emergency!

Divawithattitude Thu 21-Jul-11 18:57:44

Stayed in a wonderful 'Finca' near Mira in Northern Portugal, a bit off your track but well worth it, depending on which road you plan to travel on.

Let me know if you would like more details - I will
send you a link.

also Coimbra is a nice place to visit and has some interesting history

jonssmith Fri 17-Feb-12 06:57:48

Message deleted by Gransnet.

Butternut Fri 17-Feb-12 07:00:55

Reported

jonssmith3 Fri 24-Feb-12 07:55:23

Message deleted by Gransnet.

bagitha Fri 24-Feb-12 08:12:02

reported